gas gauge...

smog7

well i just got my car about a two months ago, and i never wanted the gas to run low so i never let go past the 1/4 tank mark. but today i did, and for some reason my low gas light only turns on when i am a stop...but when im driving the gas mark seems to go up... is this normal? i dont want to rund out of gas in the middle of nowhere.

Sleeka_89

when you start running low the fuel light comes on for a few seconds then turns off just to let you know to fill up. It will keeping coming on then switching itself off as you keep driving, this is normal. If you keep driving for a while the fuel light will eventually go on and stay on, this is where your starting to get pretty low and should start thinking about getting to a fuel station. When you fuel light comes on for the first time you should have close to about 10L in the tank left which if you drive conservatively should be about 100km. I've driven my car for just over 100km with the fuel light on and it still made it to the station. Dont worry about running out of fuel, you would have to be driving for a long time on the light to run out and even then theres a way you can check how long you have left. Go hard around a corner and keep the accelerator nailed, if it misses at all then your almost out, you might have 10km up your sleve. Dont ask me how i know this :D

muneo

The float that measures the gas level is not centered on your gas tank. Its in the rear passenger corner of your tank. This means, if your on a upward slope that leans to the left of the car, your tank will show much higher than it really is. The gas light flickering on and off is basically adjusting to your cars general position in the X,Y and Z axis.

With a quarter tank you can get the gas light to go on if your on a downward hill that leans the car over to the right. Of course, the more level and steady you are, the more accurate the meter reads.

If that light stays on continuously no matter what position your car is in, you have a roughly 2 gallons left. Our light warns us early. My light comes on when I have about 4 gallons of gas left. Thats 100 miles of steady highway driving!!!

Whyte185

shouldn't you gas up a turbo car when your around a 1/4 tank left anyway b/c when your tank starts getting low you get less fuel pressure i've heard, please correct me if i'm wrong and in a turbo car you wouldn't want lower fuel pressure

2RM

Whyte 185 you are wrong.The fuel pressure will not change until the fuel pump has something to suck on or the voltage to the fuel pump drops for some reason.

theUNYTEDone

my gas gauge has never been right since i bought my car. i know i've said it in some other posts...but i'll fill up, then about one mile (yes, ONE mile) after the gas station, i'm at 1/2 a tank...stupid, but i just fillup/topoff at about 100 miles, anyway....dont fancy the idea of dropping the tank/getting to the wires JSUT for this to be fixed.

Sleeka_89

im not 100% on the 185, but on the 165 the fuel sensor is just under the rear seat. Just pop the seat out and its sitting right there held in with a couple of screws and a plug, i'd just say the sensor is getting suck giving false levels, try replacing it and see how you go :D

theUNYTEDone

rear seat, eh?
well, i just remember the wires n plugs n such being right at the fuel tank (next to the spare tire)...i'll need to refer to my almighty BGB for this one...hope it's actually easy to get to!. thanks!