just blew headgasket

toyotaluver

well was driving and my car starts to overheat so i pull over and im burning oil and is smoking white from my exhaust, i am almost positive it is my head gasket, now what to do? anyone know how much in labor this costs, i dont really want to do this myself, what should i do? i know ill get a metal head gasket, but do i need to rebuild the head? any help would be great guys thanks, want to keep this all trac alive and i dont want to put her down.

alltracman78

Dealer quoted me 1300 for p/labor last year...
Depends where you go. Rebuilding the head depends on how many miles/condition of engine. To do the head gasket is almost there anyways.
I think a rebuild kit (complete gasket kit for whole engine. Much better to get Toyota, for the quality, 'cept for the hg) costs ~250 from the dealer. Make sure (if you go toyota) you get one for a 92/93. It comes with the turbo seals too. The older ones don't.

gtfour77

If you do need a headgasket, I would strongly recommend Cometic with ARP head studs. You won't ever blow a head gasket again. And it's cheaper or equivalent to OEM headgasket if you add the ARP's.
Talk to the guys at titanmotorsports.com, they have the best price on the cometic HG...or 935 motorsports... ($80 at titan...)
Good luck, and do it right, don't take shortcuts! Use OEM toyota seals and gaskets otherwise!

turbo4wd

What year Alltrac do you have?

If we're talking ST185, the time for a headgasket repair per Alldata shows about 13 hours.. Some shops may charge less though

toyotaluver

thanks for all the replys, ya i have an st185, right now im looking into do full long block rebuild to oem spec, and to performance spec, because im gonna get a gasket kit, so i should order for a new 92/93 alltrac? ok i will do those come with head gaskets? i know im still gonna order either cometic or metal, whats the cometic anyways? im also looking into maybe a complete new longblock from a local shop that has remanufactured to oem specs. let me know what you guys think i should do thanks.

SLOtrac

I just redid the top end on my st-165 about a month ago. I used all toyota seals and a toyota head gasket. I also had the head rebuilt. While you have the head off I highly recomend changing the timing belt, water pump, and oil pump. One recomendation is if you have the head rebuilt take off the oil pressure sending unit before you send it. I didn't, and it came back from the head rebuilder minus the sending unit.

Just FYI this was the largest pain in the ass top end job I have ever done, but it runs sooo nice now. :D

I believe I paid around 200 for the gasket set, around 100 for timing belt, water pump, front drive belts, and oil pressure sending unit, and if I remember correctly it was 200-250 i believe to rebuild the head, but my buddy got me a deal.

hope this helps and good luck.