Replacing turbo

Cormudgen

Ok,

my new turbo came in today. (JDM with ceraic blades and aproximately 20,200 km on it suppodely). I have to make a road trip home tommorw for my little sisters birthday. It is a project that I can almost be guranteed to accomplish in one day?

Also, while on the topic: what is the max you would boost on ceramic blade turbo?

GT4CE

So your new turbo is a CT-20B?

I'm not sure of the max boost, but I believe the CT-26 is only good up to 16 psi, because of it's efficiency it creates too much heat over making more boost useless.

With the ceramic blades it should be higher, I would think.

d1alltrac

Ive taken off my turbo and put it back on within 4 hours or so, the only thing i had problems with was rusted on nuts and such, cause of that i ended up pulling the manifold, turbo, and dp all as one piece, would prob be easier if you pull the rad and take off the bumper so you can more easily get to things, i didnt do any of that though

i say it should be an easy afternoon project.

mtbgael

I would assume he means a JDM CT-26, not CT-20B.

Someone on the board is running like 27psi through a CT-26, so run what you dare until you detonate or think the motor's going to blow up :D

Cormudgen

mtbgael":hdlkepgp said:
I would assume he means a JDM CT-26, not CT-20B.

Someone on the board is running like 27psi through a CT-26, so run what you dare until you detonate or think the motor's going to blow up :D

I apologize. It is a JDM CT-26

thanks, i think i'ma goin to jump on the project tonight

Cormudgen

Cormudgen":1sk99ng0 said:
Ok,

my new turbo came in today. (JDM CT26 with ceramic blades and aproximately 20,200 km on it suppodely). I have to make a road trip home tommorw for my little sisters birthday. It is a project that I can almost be guranteed to accomplish in one day?

Also, while on the topic: what is the max you would boost on ceramic blade turbo?

T-spoon

I pulled the dead one in about 5 hours and put the new one in in about 3.5-4 hours on the alltrac. It really all depends on if you run into hangups or not. I highly recommend if you have stock DP/cat to attach the oil feed and return to the engine first and then aim the turbo assembly onto it. I had to secure it behind the stock cat/dp on my MR2 after it was all in and it was no fun that way. I'm not sure how good of an idea it was, but on the alltrac all I removed was the turbo itself and the DP, didn't take out alternator or manifold. That required removing the studs from the turbo to slide it under the manifold and onto the oil lines and then thread the studs in from underneath, which was a wee bit tricky, so I dunno if that was an improvement over taking off the manifold with it. I did it the other way on the MR2 (taking everything out) and it felt like a much harder job that way (physically).

gt_turbo

if you don't have problems with rusty studs you should be fine. also don't forget to purchase the ct26 turbo gasket kit, the exhaust manifold gaskets, the big oil bolt return gasket, and any other gaskets that you will be removing. also don't over torque bolts and make sure to torque to spec with a torque wrench. and remeber don't forget the 27mm oil bolt before trying to remove the turbo. also removing the radiator would be a big plus for space. good luck

furpo

if you have the standard exhaust dump pipe and cat then don't turn the boost up at all. if you have an aftermarket dump pipe of some sort 14psi all day every day is about the limit. if you are only running standard boost and bumping it you every now and again about 16 psi is the limit with the stock air to air intercooler. it is a good idea to have some sort of way to tell if the ecu is trying to cut back the boost if you have removed the standard boost controller.

a day would be ok if you dont have a problem. the oil feed is a prick to get at so keep this in mind and yes pulling the raiator is good.

roger

Cormudgen

gt_turbo":2oku1ytd said:
if you don't have problems with rusty studs you should be fine. also don't forget to purchase the ct26 turbo gasket kit, the exhaust manifold gaskets, the big oil bolt return gasket, and any other gaskets that you will be removing. also don't over torque bolts and make sure to torque to spec with a torque wrench. and remeber don't forget the 27mm oil bolt before trying to remove the turbo. also removing the radiator would be a big plus for space. good luck

turns out i didn't have time to do it and didnt wanna risk having no car tommorw since I will definetly need it. intend to try and do it this saturday. kinda sucks trying to do on a weekday b/c i dont get out of work or class until 6 and then 30 min later its dark.

where can i pick up a gasket kit? anyone know the torque specs?
thanks for all the help

and how more complicated is it without removing the radiator?

furpo

two hose clips, pop of the water hoses, undo the top radiator brackets (4 x 10mm bolts) left it 1/2 way out, unplug the water temp wire, lift it the rest of the way out and bob is your uncle.

roger

T-spoon

Yeah, the radiator comes out extremely easily, and you gotta drain it anyway unless you want coolant going everywhere when you take off the water feed/return to the turbo. I didn't think about doing it, but I did replace the radiator on a separate occasion, it's so easy that I think it would be worth your while for the extra maneuvering room.

Cormudgen

good point, i forgot about the fact that I would have to drain the coolant regardless. i think I will definetly remove the radiator. How do you drain the coolant?

gt_turbo

gaskets, you need to visit toyota dealership and ask in the parts department. they take like anywhere from 1-2 days to a week to get there tho depending if they are not in stock. so i'll advise you to order them asap from a local dealer so you can pick it up asap. just get the dealers phone # and give them a call.

drain radiator is easy, take off all that plastic protection crap on the bottom of the car. and then you will see a hose and white turning switch coming from the radiator. just unscrew the white switch thing and coolant will come out. also you should definitely check mr2oc.com for the mr2 BGB manual. i don't know the link but maybe somebody else has the direct link to it. the turbo removal and install is pretty much the same as a mr2 and step by step directions and pics are there and torque specs. its definitely a must look at before u start.

Cormudgen

Ok Started working on it last night. Got a little progress before it got dark. About to start up again today.

engine.jpg

Update on what goin on:
Green In the pic: that bolt was striped preventing me from looseing the belt around the alternator to remove it. Ended up cutting the belt and buying a new one and am going to replace that bolt if I can ever get it out somehow.

Red in the pic: Having the HARDEST time breaking these bolts that hold the alternator bracket down loose. The reason I need to remove the alternator bracket is becuase I need to get at the last bolt on the exhaust manifold(blue)

Blue in the pic: Last bolt on the exhuast manifold that is nearly impossible to get to without alternator and alternator bracket removed.

By getting down to the turbo(havnet removed it yet) i can FEEL how much shaft play it has and it is RIDICULOUS! I'm quite relieved.

gt_turbo

that alternator stud, yea mine is stripped as well. i just did it really ghetto and i placed a socket that was one size smaller than what it was and just smashed it on there with a hammer. it worked for me. also you should find a really long metal pipe big enough to fit a 1/2" ratchet in there and then put your socket/ratchet onto the alternator bolts, place the pipe over the ratchet handle and then just torque and the bolts will start too loosen with ease. it makes it a lot easier because of the longer extension you won't need to use much force at all. let us know if you got any more problems.

T-spoon

I know you guys aren't dumb, please don't be insulted by me asking, but which way were you trying to turn that bolt? The tensioner is left hand thread, so to tighten the belt you turn counterclockwise and to loosen it and take the belt off, you turn clockwise. I believe it's an 8mm bolt head, could be 10mm though. If you knew that and that's not what you're talking about, sorry :)

Cormudgen

T-spoon":3efh9o5z said:
I know you guys aren't dumb, please don't be insulted by me asking, but which way were you trying to turn that bolt? The tensioner is left hand thread, so to tighten the belt you turn counterclockwise and to loosen it and take the belt off, you turn clockwise. I believe it's an 8mm bolt head, could be 10mm though. If you knew that and that's not what you're talking about, sorry :)

well i'll be honest......we couldnt remeber so we tried both ways. regardless it was stripped.

and concering gettin an extension to get mroe torque, i'm workion on borrowing a buddies tools as we speak

MrWOT

GT4CE":v63m2yup said:
So your new turbo is a CT-20B?

I'm not sure of the max boost, but I believe the CT-26 is only good up to 16 psi, because of it's efficiency it creates too much heat over making more boost useless.

With the ceramic blades it should be higher, I would think.

Whoa! Stop right there. If you push the compressor past 18psi with ceramic blades it WILL shatter eventually, you CANNOT overspeed those things, too brittle, the vibrations will tear it apart. I'd say 17psi is your safe limit with a ceramic wheel. They do spool up faster, but imho, they aren't worth it because they damage so much easier.

T-spoon

Cormudgen":17a72nxa said:
T-spoon":17a72nxa said:

well i'll be honest......we couldnt remeber so we tried both ways. regardless it was stripped.

and concering gettin an extension to get mroe torque, i'm workion on borrowing a buddies tools as we speak

Ah, figured you'd have tried both ways anyway. Good luck with it, hope you're running again soon :)