Finally installed my Carbon Fiber CS hood (pics)

syko says

theUNYTEDone":2m7nn2nh said:
Toxygene":2m7nn2nh said:
And if you plan on showing up to any events where other ST185 owners are. They'll know in a second you've got a Seibon.

+1....but where can a decent CF replica be found (other than VIS, which still isnt good), or FI, or...seibon.?

you can ask the engineers that work with composites (fiberglass, carbon fiber, kevlar, etc) at UH to try and make one for you. they make sattelites for nasa. so hoods should be no problem :p

theyd even make quite a few of side money too.

theUNYTEDone

it reminds me of shops i used to go to

" can you guys do _______ to my car?"
"aw yeah, np...what kinda car?"
"1990 toyota celica alltrac"
"oh...um..."
:lol:

Toxygene

Actually, depending on what your trying to accomplish with the hood. I think there was someone who still had a Cusco Fiberglass RC hood for sale. It was just as light if not lighter than the CF versions and not quite the price mark-up either. In fact, maybe if a decent Carbon Fiber version doesn't exist. Perhaps a good Fiberglass shop could reproduce the Cusco hood.

It's too bad that VIS got the US hood so right and yet so wrong. It's still better looking than the Seibon hood dimensionally. It'll just look like you put the side vents on backwards. Fiber Images has made the best hood dimensionally as well as with the details. I just wish I knew if they were still selling it. If nothing else, perhaps we have some recourse with VIS and having them fix the hood they make and putting the vents in the right directions. Maybe someone should give them a call and ask them about it. While their at it, maybe someone could ask about making an RC hood as well.

Sorry no easy answer on this one.

SuperWhite92

If you're just looking for the weight reduction, look no further than Cusco. They will build one for you (they already have the mold) and send it, and it will be notably lighter than the resin coated carbon fiber that we're discussing here. All for around $500+Shipping, and from a reputable company as well.

SuperWhite92

b00staholic":24xtoma3 said:
Does Cusco make a fiberglass RC hood?

I've only seen their fiberglass US hood floating around these boards...

I believe it's the Gt-Four Hood only, I'm sure nukabe motorsports would know for sure, since they're the US branch.

CMS-GT4

There was a FG CS hood groupbuy on the gtfour OC a while back. I wonder if we got them to do another batch and had a container shipped to help keep down shipping costs.

Then again, it might be more cost effect to just get some FG hoods made. I am not worried about it being CF so much as just loosing some weight. Thats if I even bother with it anymore.

alltracst185

all that does'nt matter to me,i don't care if anyone else likes my car when i'm the one that payed for it! it's lighter and cf thats all that matters to me at least.

SuperWhite92

alltracst185":3788a382 said:
all that does'nt matter to me,i don't care if anyone else likes my car when i'm the one that payed for it! it's lighter and cf thats all that matters to me at least.

Nobody accused you of buying a bad product or anything, or said you were stupid for doign it. We're just discussing how the rest of us would like to buy an accurate hood, that's all.

theUNYTEDone

CMS-GT4":rhxqtbug said:
There was a FG CS hood groupbuy on the gtfour OC a while back. I wonder if we got them to do another batch and had a container shipped to help keep down shipping costs.

Then again, it might be more cost effect to just get some FG hoods made. I am not worried about it being CF so much as just loosing some weight. Thats if I even bother with it anymore.

will you be contacting www.gt40c.net to find out if another group buy is possible? how much were the selling prices?

Toxygene

CMS-GT4":2c4h4gj7 said:

+1

I'd be interested in loosing weight more than having the CF look. But I'm also interested in seeing what options are out there.

alltracst185":2c4h4gj7 said:

I'm all for people enjoying their cars. Do what you want to do. We are all discussing the different options available out there within the same price point and the differences in quality from personal standpoints.

I also hope that people take in to account the rareness of owning an Alltrac and make buying decisions with some consideration to keeping their AllTrac looking good. But again, it's your car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toyota-Celica-G...7QQihZ010QQcategoryZ23012QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

CMS-GT4

The pic on the ebay link is the same one thats in the for sale section in gt4oc. Not sure if its the same seller though. I think he only had one.

Depending on shipping cost, which I expect to be high, this might be an ok priced product. I would like to see it cost in the 500 or less range total.

turbo4wd

RedCelicaTRD":124l8p9m said:
I tried emailing Fiber Images a few weeks ago and didn't get a response. Maybe if enough people email them they will talk to one of us. sales@fiberimages.com

You'll get quicker results if you call them direct:

Phone: 661-274-9500

or

Phone: 661-274-1195

And as for a GB thru FI, they make batches of 10, and require half the cost up front for all 10. - the other half due at completion. Which means if you have $3k+ up front, then you're good to go. The only thing you need after that is time.. and depending on who you talk to (or who you believe) they may be quick, or very very slow..

turbo4wd

CMS-GT4":2cmjyaii said:
The pic on the ebay link is the same one thats in the for sale section in gt4oc. Not sure if its the same seller though. I think he only had one.

Depending on shipping cost, which I expect to be high, this might be an ok priced product. I would like to see it cost in the 500 or less range total.

Well that ebay link, the total cost for hood and shipping to the US will run in the neighborhood of $8-900 US Dollars..

Toxygene

turbo4wd":37yjgrik said:
CMS-GT4":37yjgrik said:

Well that ebay link, the total cost for hood and shipping to the US will run in the neighborhood of $8-900 US Dollars..

Wasn't that roughly the price of the Carbon Fiber hood?

If we could convince FI to do another batch then I would suggest we drum up some interested parties first from both the Non Turbo Celica people and of course all of us to get as many interested people together. I would also still be interested in a Carbon fiber Hatch. So maybe People start saving now!

turbo4wd

Toxygene":i1bk43j3 said:
Wasn't that roughly the price of the Carbon Fiber hood?

If we could convince FI to do another batch then I would suggest we drum up some interested parties first from both the Non Turbo Celica people and of course all of us to get as many interested people together. I would also still be interested in a Carbon fiber Hatch. So maybe People start saving now!

Nope, the original cost was $600 + any options you may have wanted like holes for the washer nozzles and mounting holes for the stock grille and spoiler.

When I called them last time and asked for the price on 1, they quoted me somewhere in the neighborhood of $700+, but said they could work with anyone on pricing if they decided to order in bulk..

CMS-GT4

So I guess the real question is, will FI still make hoods?

If they won't, I wonder if they will give up the mold. Smay paid to have the mold made, does he have rights to it?