what do you think?

alltracst185

i'm going to race a 1996 civic hatch with a 1995 gsr engine swap(u.s spec).my question is do you think i will beat him?i just have to put my greddy boost cut contoler in and maybe a jdm ecu for more agressive maps.(more hp)what do you think.

TheAutoholic

When I had my swap finished last July I raced an EK hatch with a a GSR swap with CTR cams. My T-vsv was unplugged and I stayed even with him at 5 pounds from 20 to about 70. 8)

At 12 psi you should pull him unless there is more done to this car.

alltracst185

(TheAutoholic )when you say swap done do you mean rebuild or did you put a 3sgte in a fwd celica?and what does unpluging the t-vsv do,where is it at in the engine bay?

jlspec

If he's just a stright swap you could beat him dragging only. I've beaten my share of swaps at the 1/8 drag strip enough. My car is stock.

TheAutoholic

alltracst185":3e3bmem8 said:
(TheAutoholic )when you say swap done do you mean rebuild or did you put a 3sgte in a fwd celica?and what does unpluging the t-vsv do,where is it at in the engine bay?
I have a second gen 3S-GTE in an ST165. The waste gate on the stock turbo is set to 5 psi. The T-vsv is the stock boost controller and it turns boost up from 5psi to 7 psi in (i believe)3rd 4th and 5th gears only. And I don't where it is in a ST185 engine bay. Since you have an after market boost controller don't worry about the T-vsv anyway.

Conan

TheAutoholic":hlfnht6b said:
Maybe on a Euro spec CS it is.
They all have the same TVSV.
TheAutoholic":hlfnht6b said:
On a USDM All Trac its from 5 to 7.
Section 5 of Turbocharger System in 1990 Celica Alltrac / 4WD Repair Manual (RM149U) states:
TC-5.jpg

5 psi is more like a fart than boost :twisted:

Gary

In 3rd gear, no MBC, I get 7 psi when my T-VSV is capped.
10-11 psi when T-VSV is fully functional.

TheAutoholic

Gary":1owt98rr said:
In 3rd gear, no MBC, I get 7 psi when my T-VSV is capped.
10-11 psi when T-VSV is fully functional.
Isn't it defferent in a 93?

My motor/ecu is from a 90. As far as I have heard it should be at 5 with the T-vsv unplugged, and 7 with it working properly.

Conan

TheAutoholic":iha5v0oh said:
As far as I have heard it should be at 5 with the T-vsv unplugged, and 7 with it working properly.
You just don't give up, do you? :D Do you have a boost gauge?
Maybe what you heard is that the wastegate starts to open at 5 but opens fully only at 7? :shrug:

jlspec

Not to sure what everyone else boost but my stock US-Spec 185 boost 5-6 psi 1&2 gear and from 3rd up it's 9 psi and then slowly drops as I speed up and the turbo is no longer needed. I understand stock it's suppose to boost 10psi but with heat and age I think 9psi is good. How do I know this, I've tried two different boost gauge with the same results. My car runs perfectly to know my knowledge and it idles perfectly even after a hard run.

CSAlltrac

While we are on the subject, will it hurt me to discard the vsv?I did away with my t-vis and i was going to leave out the blue vac tank, the vsv, and the third one that is on the same bracket.I do have a HKS MBC.Any input is greatly appriciated

alltracst185

i don't have a mbc anymore and i still get 12 psi or more sometimes.i have 3" exhaust with no cats and stock manifold,anyone know why this happened?