Oregon Trail Rally

pepper

Our very own Acylon (James Unger) is doing well with his 165 in this weekend's Oregon Trail Rally. He was very quick on the mixed tarmac/gravel stages at Portland International Raceway yesterday, finishing the 5 short stages only 7.5 seconds off the overall leader.

We got tired of standing in the rain this afternoon, so didn't stay for all of the stages. But here he is negotiating a turn on SS7.

img_4859s.jpg

img_4860s.jpg

img_4861s.jpg

img_4862s.jpg

img_4863s.jpg

img_4864s.jpg

img_4865s.jpg

img_4866s.jpg

Good luck with the rest of the weekend, James!

2RM

Good luck! Im very glad to see he didnt sell it and still racing it. And we want to see some videos! :D

theUNYTEDone

2RM":r3gfuhit said:
Good luck! Im very glad to see he didnt sell it and still racing it. And we want to see some videos! :D

+1...i remember when enzo was up for sale. no takers at all.
just too badass. :oops:

TheAutoholic

Go James Go!!! 8)

He hasn't been on here much. If anyone talks to him, let him know I am getting ready to put his old FMIC on my 165. :D

Sifu

I'm still trying to find that clip of his anti lag system at the NA2005 meet where ALL those people jumped back from it. Classic...

I can't dig it up for the life of me. I have the NA2005 dvd but that was from one of those guys that jumped, not from the view of the alltrac's rear.

acylon

Wow, thanks guys... I really apreciate someone noticing my efforts. The Youtube vid is great! I finally pulled it together and finished a rally. After the Walbro plague. I had a New Walbro that would only pump enough fuel for about 250 at the wheels, little did I know. So after one engine and 3 head gaskets I figured it out. Only took a few years... Anyway, Enzo got her done! There was lots of drama and scares. We ditched it 2 times on day two on the first stage of day 2. I felt like a loser, but then I found out that 6 or 7 other cars crashed out on that stage. It was like raining ALOT and it seemed like good traction till sudden mud would send you pushing hard thru the corner. I was able both times to back out of the ditch, like thick mud! Very happy about that! Messed up the right front fender a tad. I had a brake failure the third day- scared the p wad ing out of me. Read long fast strait into sharp right and no brakes, I thought the car had seen its end and maybe me too, but I got lucky I shaved some speed by doing a very hard pendulm turn into a great ditch hook thru the corner, found out how fast that corner could be taken... Turns out I had an issue with my vaccume pump. Did you know it takes 7 times the force to push the pedal without vaccume? Well I do now. We took a wrong turn on day 2 lost about 20 seconds there, I was very rusty as I havent had a good clean drive since 1997. Also we had a flat and a rock stuck in the wheel. If I left the engine screaming in 2nd it would boil, guess I do need those spal fans afterall. Overall I am happy with how me and the car performed.
Day 2 was 3rd in open class regional and day 3 was 4th in open, if I hadnt had that rock in the wheel it would have been 3rd again.
It looks like I would have been 16th overall in the national had I paid the extra $500 to be in it.
I am sure I could do much better if I did another rally and made a few changes. We will see.
Thanks again for the support.

pepper

acylon":3vnqh1yh said:
Wow, thanks guys... I really apreciate someone noticing my efforts.

Great results on the regionals, congrats!

Let me know if you want any copies of pics; I've got a couple dozen of you from Friday at PIR (parc expose and a couple stages), in addition to the original full-size pics of those posted above.

-Mike

Sifu

Agh, I read it wrong. I somehow thought James had an inboard video of a stage... :p We can only wish...

pepper

Yes, an in-car video would be sweet! Would've been fun to see him hooking that corner he wrote about, too!

I'll bet he'd be willing to put one in (maybe for Mt. Hood Rally this fall?) if someone has a setup to lend to him for a couple days :)

Sifu

Believe it or not making a setup isn't too difficult, I'm not sure if it'll pass safety though. :p

acylon

Sifu":3bnyjc4h said:
Agh, I read it wrong. I somehow thought James had an inboard video of a stage... :p We can only wish...
I have the entire rally recorded from inside the car. It appears some of it may be a little messed up. I would like to transfer it to digital.

Also, I would love to get copys of the pics!

Thanks again.

PS keep reminding me to get those videos transfered, I have just had way too much going on to get anything done lately.

Sifu

You're more than welcome to send them to me and I can do the editing start to finish. If you happen to have it in minidv tape then I can just transfer it to the crapbook via my minidv camcorder. It gets so boring at work and even playing video games all day gets a lil' old. :oops:

acylon

I am transfering the video to digital now, onto DVD. If you want to email me with your mailing address, I will send a copy to you.