MR2 Bypass valve install, recirculated. A couple questions..

maxaud

OK, so I got my samco on and attached my BOV and had it venting to atmsphere and it was extremely loud. I wasn't very fond of the running conditions with it running rich, nor the gas bill so I recirculated it today and can't here a single noise went I shift. Do you guys still think it's working? It feels a more 'peppy' after shifts then it did stock. There is no more purge noise at all so I'm questioning if its working.

some pics... (click to make larger)

Picture of my Turbo, the wheel looks bigger than all the other CT26's that I have had.. anyone else see what I see?

the flange welded onto the elbow for recirculation... not bad for how thin that metal is.

the pipe back attached to the rest of the intake lines.

The Samco hose install'd and put in place..

The gap inside, cell phone picture...

The BOV ---> intake tube...

the whole thing assembled...

Did I miss something?

Should I be hearing the purge still or will the tube muffle it so much that I can't hear it at all?

Should I put it back to stock?

thanks guys.

smog7

thats pretty effin cool! Did you do the welds yourself? I need to look into doing something like this, I already have the bpv. Did your mpg really suck that much after venting to the atmosphere??

maxaud

It was so loud when it was vented to atmosphere that I thought I would hear something. No sound at all when I shift. The turbo spool sounds a little different maybe.

I didn't do the welds. I didn't trust myself with how thin the intake metal is.

Every time I shifted I could smell fuel. It may be different on my car seeing as how it is JDM where it has a more aggressive fuel curve. Since going from stock to this my car seems to hesitate a little usually one 1st gear. I might have fowl'd or got my plugs real dirty from venting to atmosphere for a couple weeks.

Wierd thing though, once I completed the install. I forgot to plug back in the AFM and I drove around with it disconnected....

also, the picture of my turbo; does it look different then anyones? To me it seems larger.

maxaud

Gary, I know yours is vented to atmosphere. Have you had any problems with hesitation? mainly in lower gears.

Gary

Once in a while when down shifting from 2-1.
It also backfires sometime too.
I learn to live with it and adjust my driving accordingly. :)

maxaud

I never had a backfire but I have a lot of hesitation. Wanna shed some light on my turbo? Does it look to be a stock ct26?
P.S.- isn't it like 2 in the A.M. there?

You dont hear any noise from the unit on stock MR2's either. Recirculating
= no noise even with an aftermarket intake (or at least I dont hear the BPV on my MR2T and I am using an apexi intake)

88st165

looking good.... i just finished recirculating my mr2 bpv also but i havent had a chance to drive it yet... when vented it hesitated pretty noticably when i would shift into any gear after boosting so i only drove it vented for a day.... i do admit it did sound cool...

this reminds me of a conversation i had w/ an srt4 owner after we had raced...

srt4: i knew you were turbo'd after i heard you bov, what bov are you running?....

me: oh... none, thats just compressor surge you're hearing hahaha...

srt4: :shock:

gpmarzan

that turbo seems to have a bigger wheel. Maybe a 46mm trim? :shrug: It does look bigger than your stock compressor wheel.

cardude

88st165":1cwoalpe said:
looking good.... i just finished recirculating my mr2 bpv also but i havent had a chance to drive it yet... when vented it hesitated pretty noticably when i would shift into any gear after boosting so i only drove it vented for a day.... i do admit it did sound cool...

this reminds me of a conversation i had w/ an srt4 owner after we had raced...

srt4: i knew you were turbo'd after i heard you bov, what bov are you running?....

me: oh... none, thats just compressor surge you're hearing hahaha...

srt4: :shock:
haha that sounds familiar.

Gary

wizzards581":75zi50bb said:
GARY: your using a mr2-T bypass valve vented to air? or aftermarket bov.
I'm using MR2 BPV vented to atmosphere.

mr2bovgi0.jpg

maxaud

that's kinda funny that we ran the throttle cable through the same spot. I didn't even realize it until now.

88st165

wow just took it for a drive and it feels alot better inbetween shifts... it feels alot smoother going from vac to boost situations... recirculate ftw!

maxaud

without the bypass valve in? If thats what you want, I can take it off and get more shots.

I had to take it off, my T hose, and drain my intercooler today because I wanted to change the plugs it was a long event.

Changing plugs seem'd to noticably help my hesitation issue. I'm sure running rich made the plugs not run as well.

Daniel_hoy

maxaud":euhtgjw1 said:
I had to take it off, my T hose, and drain my intercooler today because I wanted to change the plugs it was a long event.

You don`t need to drain the intercooler. Just do it like this.
kj_leropp.jpg