ATS Built ST185

ATS_Scott

Here's a sneak peak at an ST185 we have been building. It's not done yet but getting close. Shooting for 550+AWHP
Short mods list:
ATS 2.2L stroker with with ATS built head and HKS 264 cams.
ATS GT3582 Turbo Kit
Autronic SM4
CM Twin-disc clutch
Huge Custom Front Mount IC.

And some pics:
gotintercooler.jpg

celicamotor.jpg

gotintercooler2a.jpg

CMS-GT4

Looks good.

1) Could a smaller fmic setup and piping?

2) Could a shorter path via throttlebody and piping inlet be found for the hot pipe?

Just thinking in the ways of lag.

ATSAaron

dan_new_ic.jpg

Still lots of stuff to do, but you can get an idea of the potential we are expecting from the new intercooler (blue line).

Aaron

ATSAaron

CMS-GT4":1x9bwgma said:
Looks good.

1) Could a smaller fmic setup and piping?

2) Could a shorter path via throttlebody and piping inlet be found for the hot pipe?

Just thinking in the ways of lag.

We had a smaller IC and less piping. It actually had more lag. See the graph above.

Aaron

ATSAaron

Smaller IC was more restrictive I guess.

Oddly enough about 2 years ago we went from a stock IC to this same model smaller FMIC and made huge gains in power with no loss in spool. I think it's a turbo has to match the IC type story.

Aaron

KORacing

Hey Aaron,
It's kind of funny how many of these things are being built all over the place! Can you post uncorrected versions of those same dynos out of curiosity? Also, which turbine A/R are you guys running?

silence

ATSAaron":3u4wp1nl said:
Smaller IC was more restrictive I guess.

Oddly enough about 2 years ago we went from a stock IC to this same model smaller FMIC and made huge gains in power with no loss in spool. I think it's a turbo has to match the IC type story.

Aaron

I discovered the same thing when i got rid of my stock top mount. i gained 1 psi of boost. and no loss in spool.

ATS_Scott

ATSAaron":20z7v9tr said:
dan_new_ic.jpg

Still lots of stuff to do, but you can get an idea of the potential we are expecting from the new intercooler (blue line).

Aaron

Aaron I was thinking, that is not really a fair comparison. the 400+ run was done with just DP and midpipe connected, while the latter run (blue line) was done with the full exhaust intact.

ATS_Scott

KORacing":1un4oqu4 said:
Hey Aaron,
It's kind of funny how many of these things are being built all over the place! Can you post uncorrected versions of those same dynos out of curiosity? Also, which turbine A/R are you guys running?

I'll try to remember to look up uncorrected numbers on Monday. This car is running a .63 A/R Ex. housing... I think. ;-)

theUNYTEDone":1un4oqu4 said:
i also forgot to ask, was this on a race tune, or pump gas tune?

The posted graphs are Race gas about 2 bar boost (29 psi). We knew based on previous experience that we should have been easing up on 600whp, so we started looking for restrictions. The IC we had in place was the obvious culprit. 2.5" inlet and outlet. We initially install the "old" intercooler when the goals for the car were lower and basically wanted to see what it would support... Now we know ;-) This IC is 3" in and out and the IC piping goes from 2.5 out of turbo to 3" ASAP. And so far the IAT's get LOWER during a run.

Pump gas on this turbo (17psi) nets about 400-420 wheel hp with the old IC. We never run more than 17 psi on pump gas.

turbo4wd

This pic reminded me of the pic I took when I was test fitting my FMIC 4 years ago.. (cept mine hadn't had the sidetanks put on yet..)
atsfmic.jpg
myfmic.jpg

I still haven't seen anyone put a FMIC setup together that is larger than Paul Rennison's kit from way back in the day..
I forget the exact dimensions of the core itself, but it filled up the entire RC bumper.. :D

Good luck on the car, I'm sure you guys will make some nice numbers..

ST185pinjo

Have you guy's tested different breands of IC-cores (bar and plate) and found any differences in performance? Or are the cores more or less the same, and are the endtanks the most important factor for power?