SFV-LA Alltrac Tech Group

lumbercis

This thread is a follow on to this thread:
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20836
Post in there if you havent already.

Okay, I was hoping to get some more response before I posted, but here goes anyway. Since I tend to be long winded and grandiose, I'll give you a cut down cliff-notes version for the short attention span people, then launch into the long version.

Cliff notes version: Weekly fix it meets over the summer for SFV or nearby.

Long Version:

I have a dream.... just kidding. Okay, I was thinking about how most of this "Car hobby" Im supposedly in consists of reading messageboards about cars more than actually working on or driving cars. Besides that. it also is apparent that, even though I make okay money, this hobby is a stupidly bad money pit. It will literally take all the money you could throw at it, and then some. But what can you do? Parts arent going to get any cheaper, so really the only way to save money is to do your own work. Thats fine, but in my case, although Im decently mechanically inclined, I have a full time job and go to graduate school, so Im not likely to have the amount of time it would take to become an expert at all the skills one would need to restore a car. Paint and body work? Engine? Wiring? Interior/audio? Suspension? Detailing?

Another thing that inspired me to write this post is that I absolutely love the alltrac. I think its one of the coolest cars on the road. But I have to admit to a little shame/disappointment when I compare the condition of some of the cars on mr2oc or supraforums, or even (gasp!) honda-tech, to the condition of most of the alltracs I see (including mine). If I did have a dream it would be that all the alltracs in LA, (or at least SFV) whether stock or modded, be awesome examples. Smooth running, all electrics work, nice paint and body, the whole package. I have a vision of a bunch of us rolling into Toyofest next year and being able to audibly hear peoples' necks snap as they exclaim, "Oh Shit! The ALLTRACS are here!" Not to suggest that we all have show cars, but just that whatever we each personally want out of our cars; show, drag, autocross/RR, or just "awesome street car," that our cars be a great example of what they do. (Although I dont care WHAT your car is for, there is NO reason to have paint flaking off your front bumper...<looks at flaking bumper :( > )

So back to the point. I figure that, by myself, it will either take more time than I have, more expertise than I have, or more money than I have to really get what I want out of my car. But my thinking is that with a little money, a little time, and alot of help, my goal to see the LA streets be home to some of the best alltracs anywhere might be achievable. To that end I propose the creation of the "SFV-LA Alltrac Technical Group." This isn't a traditional car club or "crew." No sitting around in parking lots staring at each other. The point is to advance our own personal skills and get all our cars running and looking the best they can. Since I imagine most of you are as time crunched as me, I propose that each interested member pick a "specialty." If you already know everything there is to know about cars, great, you're the leader! j/k What Im thinking is that each member picks one thing to make themselves an expert on. That way we can collectively call upon way more expertise than we can individually. So for each job we have one or two "directors" and the rest workers. Which, of course, changes for the next job. We have a rotating list and a different car gets focused on each week. If you miss a week, sorry! you lose your spot until your turn in the list comes up again.

Those are the basic outlines. A few problems I can already see:

1. Too few people. To really make this work, we need a certain amount of people or the work and knowledge wont be spread around enough. Doesn't have to be THAT many, as there is a limit to how many people can work on a car at the same time. However, in my experience of trying to organize things in the past, the "flake rate" is ridiculously high. I'd say over 80%. So we either need alot of rotating members (not optimal) or a handfull of dedicated ones. That means you block out a few hours on the weekend for this. And you don't flake just because you drank too much the night before and want to stay home and play Gran Turismo. Since we have so few alltracs around, I was thinking of opening this up to the mr2oc people and maybe celicatech. I'd estimate we need at least 5 or 6 hardcore members to make this work.

2. Venue.
We need a place to do this. Also, it would need to be someplace that we could hypothetically leave a car overnight if we messed something up. Preferably within towing distance of a shop if we REALLY mess something up. :lol: At first this shouldn't be an issue as I propose to start with the smallest/easiest thing each car needs done so we can get some experience and work out any kinks in the plan. We can do these kind of jobs anywhere. But as we slowly work up to longer/ more involved jobs, we will need to think about a better place to work than out in the street or driveway.

3. Distance. Quite simply, greater LA is just too big to include everyone. Since Im in SFV and probably the most northern guy, Im proposing it be in the general vacinity of SFV. I figure everyone should be willing to travel a max of 30 minutes from where they are. So for me that would be as far south as Hollywood and as far East as Glendale. Kind of depends on where the meet spot is. And of course, the meet spot may change. I haven't completely thought this out yet. Of course, the southern people could have their own group. Also, the guys that do the Mr2uesdays are a pretty solid group. So that could be a good base to start from if the more southern people want to do something like this. One good reason to have an SFV group is that I know there were several SFV guys that really wanted to join the Mr2uesday group, but the distance was too far. The MRT guys basically said they weren't going to have meets any farther north and to start an SFV group. So that may be something to work from.

Well, those are my initial thoughts. What do you think? Am i dreaming here, or could this work?

J.

smog7

I think it sounds awesome. Even though Im pretty damn far away from most of you. As soon as I transfer for school it will be alot easier to say.....

smog7

Its funny how my car hobby also consists of of online forums/magazines and once in a while a little minor work on the car . a tech day to brake the ice would be good.

smog7

right now im in santa maria. im still not set on where I want to go.... san jose state, cal poly or sd state

muneo

I'm up in Mission Hills on a weekly basis. I know John is up there. Him and Dan used to get together from time to time and compare notes.

Since I'm in WLA, I dont think I'll make a drive thats any further than Mission Hills. Gas is killing me right now...

lumbercis

^mission hills is only 12 minutes away from me, so thats easily doable. Actually, I don't mind driving a bit since gas isn't as much an issue for me. I work 3 minutes away from where I live, so I don't burn much gas during the week.

I'd love to get John So involved, but Im not holding my breath. I bought my car from him, and he seems to be a real alltrac guru, but he seems like he's got other things going on and isn't as much into wrenching on cars anymore. But hey, hopefully Im wrong!

J.

Qlynxer

I think this is a very good idea, I'd be willing to travel up to LA if somebody needed some major work done, like dropping a motor or somthing. Count me in.

Quan L

ummmiono

im down, me and my friend already have a car day where we do general maintenance and repairs, but sometimes we run into roadblocks and could use some help. im near sfv(sunland) and also burbank hollywood and glendale and la, for work and family stuff. so anywhere near is cool for me. wish thais would have been started sooner, ive done alot of work to the trac already but now imma start on the headgasket. i am totally for this and we should have a meet to further discuss it in person and get used to meeting up somewhere.

CeliKhanh

very cool man.. wish u gave this proposal b4 i sold the altrac ... even tho i gave up so soon.. i dont mind lending a hand and try to learn more as maybe 1 day i'll buy 1 again... i'm sure it wont be as mint as it was ... but ya, if u guys dont mind a non Alltrac owner lend a hand i 'm down :D

lumbercis

Okay, once Im done with my exams we may have an "interest meet" to see how many people are really willing to come out. We'll try to hash out times/locations/general plan then.

J.

lumbercis

This is pretty last minute, but I'll be at the meet on plummer that CeliKhanh posted tonight if anyone wants to come out and talk about this in person. But we'll also have an "official" interest meet later with more notice.

J.

smog7

would anyone be interested in a cruise to the pismo/avila area... wouldnt be much of a tech day, more of a cruise and get to know each other thing....