Update + new mods \0/

Meurz

I":ukm7ji5l said:
Time for a (photo)update. I haven't done much to the car lately, except being annoyed by the left hand side rear brake. It still squeeks after 5 mins driving, sounds very ghetto.. :x If I pull the handbrake very slightly during driving, the squeek stops only to return a little bit later. Bugger. I've adjusted the handbrake so many times now it's not funny anymore. Everytime it sounds ok for a few minutes, then the squeek's back. The brake doesn't get hot by this, still operates ok too. I'm sick of it though, the car needs to run smooth. After this Sunday's Japanese car festival (big meet, pics will follow) and before the UK Jap Auto Extravanganza in July I'll attend to I'll try to get the dust shields off (might beat them too hard while fitting the ST205 rear brakes and thus messed up some moving parts?). If that doesn't work I'll replace all parts, maybe up to the hub knuckles and bearings.. The squeek HAS to go away.

(Temporary?) Fixed! :D [touch wood]

I put the car on a 2 post lift last week so I could drive it in first gear with the wheels off the ground. This way we could watch and listen to the wheel close-up. I almost shat my pants when I saw the disc was wobbling! :shock: The movement was radial and clearly visible.. WTF! You could also hear the tick/squeek.. :(

Phonevid: http://www.turbocelica.nl/images/techarticles/centerbore/discwobble.3gp [play with Quicktime]

After getting the brake off and spinning the hub only in gear, the squeek was gone. My previous thought of the handbrake shoes rubbing against the dustshield was ruled out..

I already knew the ST205 and ST185 use different center bores, but I never expected such a huge effect caused by 0.9mm OD - ID difference.

To fill the gap between hub and disc, I had to fabricate some kind of strip with a thickness of 0.45mm:

discstrip3.jpg

Today I had 2 stainless strips made up. Length 17cm (ST185 hub OD = 54.1mm, circumference = π * diameter) and 1cm wide. They only had 0.5mm thick sheets so I've opted for that, confident I could get that in also and tightening the disc around the hub properly.

discstrip.jpg

As usual I destroyed the first one. The strip stuck out too much and I thought I could push it in further. I couldn't. :lol: I reduced the width of the 2nd strip to 7mm, which did fit.

Check out the gap between the ST185 hub and the ST205 disc:

discgap.jpg

With the strip fitted:

discstrip2.jpg

After a nice cruise this evening I still haven't heared the squeek anymore. I hope the problem's fixed with the strip fitted! I'll put the car on the lift to check if the disc is still wobbling although I don't think it is. The right hand side brake never squeeked but I'll have a new 7mm strip made up for that side just in case..

[/happy] :D

Meurz

Some new parts came in and I've installed some:

HKS D1 Limited edition radiator cap (for the new alu radiator):

hksradcap.jpg

hksradcap2.jpg

HKS M35i Super fire racing :D plugs:

hksplugs.jpg

SARD Sports MAG+ oil filter:

sardoilfilter.jpg

SARD Battery shift case installed:

sardbatterycase.jpg

sardbatterycase2.jpg

And today I finally received my C-One order:

c-onebraces.jpg

The rear strutbrace and trunkbar installed:

c-onebraces2.jpg

I'm planning to tint the rear half of the car, but for now I love this look:

c-onebraces3.jpg

darthripley

very pretty parts Meurz :)

nice choice on the HKS rad cap, it looks pretty on Vadar with just a stock rad :wink:

do you notice any difference with the c-one braces in the rear?
better turn-in & stability?

Meurz

darthripley; I haven't driven the car (hard) yet, so I don't know yet. I suspect the swaybar to cause the biggest difference.

Denver_whiteST185; It should fit if you're talking about a donut. A full size spare won't fit. I can't check it now though, my donut is stored away. The little bags are manuals, washers and bolts and some stickers. Almost all C-One products come with such a enveloppe afaik.

lumbercis

I didn't even know C-One made a swaybar for our cars. Their site doesn't list hardly anything for our cars. How'd you find out about it Rene?

We really ought to make a database of aftermarket parts for our cars so people know whats available. 6gc.net has one thats pretty helpful.

J.

darthripley

one more question Meurz, what is the diameter of the C-One rear sway bar?
it looks like the C-one RSB has only 1 setting?
just curious in comparison to the Whiteline RSB.

Meurz

lumbercis":11egd5xm said:
I didn't even know C-One made a swaybar for our cars. Their site doesn't list hardly anything for our cars. How'd you find out about it Rene?
They don't. I noticed Whiteline offers a ST185 and ST205 swaybar which is the same part #:

whitelinebrochure.jpg

I know some 205 guys actually ordered an 185 bar which went in ok. Since I prefer Jap over Aussie, I ordered the C-One ST205 rear swaybar, according to my theory above it should fit..

We really ought to make a database of aftermarket parts for our cars so people know whats available. 6gc.net has one thats pretty helpful.
I already started such a database on my site; http://www.turbocelica.nl/performanceparts.htm.
I still have a load of items to add and I will update the list soon, but it'll be changed all the time when new parts are available or discontinued.

Darthripley, it's 19mm compared to Whiteline's 20 mm. It has one setting indeed.

Meurz

Update - I finally installed the C-One ST205 swaybar last weekend.

OEM vs C-One - it's 2mm thicker (19~20 mm) on most areas (measured after removing the rusty and greasy spots on the OEM bar) and according to C-One a lot stiffer:

c-oneswaybar.jpg

c-oneswaybar2.jpg

On the car:

c-oneswaybar3.jpg

I also received my new midpipe. SS 3" from eBay (SS autocrap). I assume they are able to make a decent almost straight pipe (compared to their shitty downpipes) so I gave it a go. I'll try to get it to work with my Cusco Lower arm bar Type II, otherwise I'll get a custom mp made up like I planned before. With this pipe installed I'll have a 3" turboback exhaust to complete my 'BPU' stage which means it's dyno time again.

ssacmidpipe.jpg

New wheels are ordered, they'll arrive in a week or 2/3. Next project I'm looking for is an ST205 gearbox with which I'll also fix my speedo.

lumbercis

Weird, you have a speedo problem too? Whats up with weak speedos? Build the rest of the car like a tank, but put in a fragile speedometer. :doh:

So what wheels did you end up going with? Still in bronze?

J.

abraxxa

Where did you order the C-One Meurz?
It costs a fortune and I'm still waiting no my front and rear one from a guy who offered them for 475euros incl. taxes and shipping to my door but I don't want to wait any longer.

The rear might be the same, but the SuperStrut front suspension of the ST205 has a much thinner swaybar (17mm stock afaik, C-One is 19mm).

Have you used the new mounts which should have been included with the swaybar?

Meurz

Got them from RHD a while ago together with other stuff. E-mail them for a shipped quote, they don't list them. I fitted the new mounts indeed (they are weird two-tone rubber so look old on the pic but they're brand new).