How much power?

Rider

Hey guys, glad to see the forum is back and looking gooood!

Well, think this was covered in the old board but its gone for now, so...:

I am looking at upgrading my turbo, what sort of power could a CT 26 hyrbrid with a Garrett T04 60-1 wheel achieve? Is the wastegate going to be up to the task?

billprice

Rider":3urd3q5s said:
Hey guys, glad to see the forum is back and looking gooood!

Well, think this was covered in the old board but its gone for now, so...:

I am looking at upgrading my turbo, what sort of power could a CT 26 hyrbrid with a Garrett T04 60-1 wheel achieve? Is the wastegate going to be up to the task?

Well.......there are SO many variables that would affect your power output, that it would be impossible to say. If your car is completely stock, and you just change to this turbo, I'd say a good guess would be 240? At the crank that is, not at the wheels. People have been saying for years that anything over a 50 trim on a CT26 is useless though. I used to have a CT26 with a 57 trim and I made about 280 at the wheels (with many mods!), which would be about 350 or so at the crank.

Zeus

ats racing is in development of a ct26 and they have dyno proof of breaking the 300 wheel hp mark on an mr2... they are also making a rom tuned ecu to go with it... basically they are making a very cheap way to get to 300 wheel hp

billprice

Yes, it can be done. As I have said before, we made 280 whp from my All-Trac with the 57 trim CT26. That was before we degreed the cams. When we degreed the cams (witha GT25-400R), we got about 50 more horsepower across the majority of the curve. I am sure that had we degreed the cams with the 57 trim on the engine, we could have easily broken the 300 whp barrier with the All-Trac.

Griffin

Nods - I have a modified CT26 on mine and I'm pretty sure I'm in excess of 300 WHP. I just need to get the darn thing back from the body shop so I can get the intercooler on it and tune it.

Griffin

2of81":31lsd8ng said:
Griffin":31lsd8ng said:
I just need to get the darn thing back from the body shop

You too?

Yah - its been there a month and they just got started on it :( Getting a new roof, fenders, CS hood and bumper, back panel and complete sanding and paint job :)

Zeus

bill.. i think they are only using a 50 trim or something small like that on the compressor side... they are doing something magical to the exhaust side to get the numbers they are... aaron hasnt said what they have done yet...

st185-sainz

@griffin: what exactly did you modify? can you specify the parts you used?

that would be very fine, cause it is very hard to find such infos!

billprice

Zeus":2bxp1tb0 said:
bill.. i think they are only using a 50 trim or something small like that on the compressor side... they are doing something magical to the exhaust side to get the numbers they are... aaron hasnt said what they have done yet...

Yep.....you are probably right. You don't need a 57 trim wheel to make it there. The specs on the 57 trim that I had showed that it would pump as much air as the GT25-400R that I currently have, 44 lbs. But it wouldn't make anywhere NEAR as much hp as the GT because of the exhaust. But I STILL think you can make more than 300 at the wheels (with the right engine and tuning) with a CT26.......even with an All-Trac. Easier to do with the MR2 because it has less drivetrain loss, but nonetheless, I believe it is achievable. Opinions vary!

beerchug.gif

Griffin

st185-sainz":220rhbtz said:
@griffin: what exactly did you modify? can you specify the parts you used?

that would be very fine, cause it is very hard to find such infos!

Dunno - Turbonetics stage 2 conversion purchased through toysport - supposedly like a 58 trim compressor and a mild clip on the turbine, but its hard to tell. Toysport was never able to give me an exact answer.

Thereason I'm so expectant (outside of performance) is that I have a totally built & balanced motor with wiseco 40 over pistons & eagle H-beam rods, HKS 264 cams w/adjustable gears, Ported head, HKS valvesprings, lightweight single peice shims, 3" exhaust all the way back, Supra 550CC injectors and pump, and a AEM EMS running speed density (bye bye AFM).

I also have a custom FMIC, intake, and alcohol injection kit going on after it gets back from the shop.

billprice

Well....like I said, we got almost 280 whp (279) WITHOUT degreeing the cams. I'm pretty darn sure we could have broken that 300 barrier had we done that.