act TY3-HDMM clutch (don't know where to put this topic)

killer_siller

i just bought an st165 w 65k miles on it (thank you tom). the guy that owned it before me had a ACT TY3-HDMM clutch installed.

the clutch is ungodly heavy, and it will not shift cleanly unless it's on the floor (even then it shifts rather rough). the clutch point on it is about 1/2" off the floor.

i was wondering if anyone else is using this clutch, if anyone else is having this problem, or if anyone has a solution (i was thinking aftermarket hydrolics would fix it).

thanks

silverarrow

You're going to need to adjust the clutch pedal first and then bleeding the clutch system. If that way does not work then the other way is to just go with aftermarket clutch components like you said. Longer slave cylinder push rod and steel braided clutch line from speed-source.

I have it in my car as well and I have no complaints about the clutch pedal or the release point. I can feather the clutch when i want to or pop it whenever I want to. You guys just haven't drove a 240sx with the same clutch in there, it's twice as hard as the one in the all trac. Don't you guys like to feel your clutch under your feet? I thought the stock clutch pedal feel was too damn soft like my dad's 83 toyota pick up truck and couldn't feel the pedal worth crap. A sports car should have harder clutch pedals.

killer_siller

geez, i thought i would never get a response.

i'm used to how heavy the clutch is now.
yes, i love a heavier clutch, but i don't like that the clutch point is down by the f*cking floor. seriously, i get gear grind with the clutch on the floor if i try to shift to quickly (or too high for that matter). i hate having to pause when i shift, it totally throws off my boost.

the clutch adjustment under the pedal is all the way out that i know of. and it still has an inch and a half of free play at the top of the clutch before it hits tension.
i love the car (even while needing an exhaust, struts, and a clutch), but its really frustrating me that i can't even merge with traffic (by merge i mean pass every car i see before i even hit the highway) without missing a gear.

and no, i haven't driven a 240sx (as much as i would like to)

is your clutch point down by the floor too?

silverarrow

It's about an inch from the floor or an inch and a half from the floor. Still near the floor, but like I said it's easy to drive or race whether I want to feather the clutch or pop the clutch. All it takes is a little of getting use to, it took me 2 days to get use to it.

killer_siller

that sounds about right

and i've had the car for two weeks now (three maybe).

even with driving shoes i can't really quick-shift it. i have to pause with the clutch on the floor and push the shifter into gear (maybe a 1/2 second pause).

i'm going to take a look at it this weekend (bleed it and adjust it and all that jazz) and then tell you guys whats up.