88st165's alltracs

88st165

*Haven't updated this thread in several years. Im still around and lurk every so often. Still love alltracs so thats all that matters.

black car: Bought for parts. Scrapped body by cutting apart with a sawzall and given to a scrapper.
S5000404.jpg

white car: close to 80k on the body, no motor, trans, diff, engine. Slapped together with parts from black car. Meant to be a DD/winter beater but blew the HG back in winter of 2010 and just recently got back to working on it. Thought about selling many times but couldnt do it. Something about these cars that I just cant let go. Maybe someday...

S5000423.jpg

S5000001.jpg

Red car: currently 48kmi (as of 2007), currently 54Kmi as of 2015. My very first alltrac, the one that started my obsession you can say, the one I will hold onto as long as I can. I hope to pass it down to my son when he gets old enough. For now I will try and enjoy it.
Cliff note History: Originally bought this car from the original owner (family member) from NY. It had 44k mi on it when I got it and was only parked on the streets of Queens NY its whole life. Get it back to Chicago and it was in rough shape but mechanically solid and completely stock. I just polished it up over the years and made it my own. Got into an accident a couple years after I had been DD'ing it and insurance totalled it. I got a suprising amount of money for an old 88 celica but only because the guy who appraised it owned one a long time ago so I lucked out. After it was restored I stopped DD'ing it and only used it for weekend drives and autox's. After some time it sat around for a while not being driven as I was finishing up my degree. After I graduated I finally had some money and bought a few things I had been wanting. By that time I had been into track days with my SI and really wanted to try it out with my Celica. I then retired my SI from track duty back to family duty and prepped my Celica for the season last year (2014). It didn't last one session before issues came up, understandably since it is old afterall. Never had a chance to look into since I have had limited time available for cars these days. I will get to it again and be back on the track for some lapping days next season.

9fd8ff6d.jpg

c0c428c5.jpg

c75eb056.jpg

ec49a09a.jpg

0819a65b.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

MidwestMR2Meet031.jpg

90566649_NTMbFPTg_Proof_RT6Y7055.jpg

autoxtirerack1.jpg

IMG_7672ps.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2596%203.jpg

Keep on Truckin'

bloodMoney

Wow. Jealousy. Is that black one the one that you bought from Mo? I thought his had frame damage...

BTW: I love the red.

~bloodMoney

88st165

yeah thats the one i bought from mo.... all the frame damage was in front of the strut towers so it could have been saved, but everything in the front was trashed....

i never thought i would have 3 of the same year make and model of cars at the same time... (with 3 different interior colors ha)

Rick89GTS

Let's see...one black, white and red. All you need are the grey-pewter and blue 165's and you've got the whole set :lol:

Shame about the black one, body looks good otherwise.

88st165

Rick89GTS":2onv8u5w said:
Let's see...one black, white and red. All you need are the grey-pewter and blue 165's and you've got the whole set :lol:

Shame about the black one, body looks good otherwise.

haha if i could i would.... but i think in the end two is good enough...

d1alltrac

wow, I didn't know you had 3...I guess I need to find a black one to catch up. :lol:

about your JDM corners...The top section should be the parking light and the bottom should be just the turn signal. I had mine the same way as yours at first, but I checked with one of our european members and he told me how it should be. You'll have to do a little wiring to get it to work right but it'll look much better once it's done.

btw...you can use the bulbs/plugs from the lights in the fenders for the top section of the corner lights.

edit...forgot to ask, what's the offset on those wheels?

88st165

yeah i agree it would look better with the top part lit, i tried to search on how to wire them up with no luck, but i got excited to put them on...

ill try that fender light idea, i have the plugs in there but i didnt even think about pluging them up for some reason....

as far as the rims go, im not sure on the offset as they came with the white car.... ill check on that... but i think they are going to go back on the white car as i think they look better on it, but i change my mind everyday...

another thing im thinking about is lowering the white car or keeping it at stock height... i have trd springs (green) or b+g springs to choose from, or intrax if i wanted to take them off the red car but i dont think thats going to happen...

d1alltrac

Actually, if you use the existing wiring from the fender light you only have to cut one wire on each side. There are 3 wires going to the old bulb/plug...IIRC one ground, 12v for the turn signal, and 12v for the parking light. If you just cut the parking light wire the turn signal should still work, and the fender light is a parking light anyway so you'd be set. The only downsides are that you lose the light in the fender and have a loose wire, but a little electrical tape takes care of the loose wire and who really cares about that light in the fender anyway. :p

Eventually I might try to find the right plugs for the bottom to clean it up a little, but for now it works fine and looks great.

88st165

yeah i didnt even think about using the fender lights.... im gonna try that tomarow.......

In other news: THE WHITE CAR LIVES AGAIN!!!

motor is in and wired up and it purrs like a kitten..... cant drive it yet b/c the trans and rear end is not filled yet... PICS SOON

killer_siller

it's running and you didn't even call me?!

those team dynamics came from rocketeer, i think they are a 38 offset. speed-source rolled the fenders on my gt-four to get them to fit with the tein coilovers.

damnit it breaks my heart every time i come to this forum. let me know how things go. do you still want these old stockie wheels? i can clean them up for you.

88st165

oh hey whats up dude?

I called you back that one day you wanted to come by and see the car but someone else answered your phone :shrug:

anyway, yeah i still want the stockers but im not sure when ill have the chance to come by again....

the white car is running but the master cyl is shot i think.... massive amounts of air in the lines even after bleeding for 30min straight.... was that master cyl that was one there new?

i still have some parts to put on it before i really get to drive it....:
-front sway bar
-rear sway bar
-front and rear endlinks (need to find cheaper ones than oem)
-front and rear shocks
-springs (non-rusty stock ones)
-midpipe and cat back
-fuel tank/fuel pump (stock)/filler neck all in one shot
-clean the interior and exterior of the spiders that have made it their home
-paint the rust-free sunroof and get new sunroof seal
-find water leak
-somehow patch the large rusted hole in the rear quarter
-por15 the whole bottom of the car

Once i get the essencial parts on the car and get it registered and all that jazz you bet ill call you up and you can take it for a spin.... the farthest i have taken it was like 20 feet in my driveway b/c i found out i only had the e-brake before i reached the street..ha....

88st165

wow i havent updated this in a while.... i have to admit that i have been slacking on the pics mainly b/c my buddy has the good ones of the engine install and i have been meaning to ask him for them....

anyway, the white car has alot more rust than meets the eye! the drivers side rear quarter panel has been replaced. obviously i didnt know this until i gutted the interior. and whoever did the replacement cut the original quarter out cut right through the sunroof drain and didnt bother to plug it so whenever it would rain the water would drain into the car :cry: . basically every weld that was done rusty b/c it was never coated properly to prevent this. the rocker was also replaced and it has rust holes in it where it was welded. the seams on the drivers side between the rear quarter, rocker, and the body are all rusted underneath the seam sealer.

this discovery kind of shot my motivation down b/c it turns out to be alot more work than i initially thought. but i love these cars and im not going to let rust stop me. i have scraped off 1/4 of the factory undercoating and replaced it with por15. i also covered all the rust on the drivers side with por15 and i had to patch a hole in the floor then also covered it with por15. right now im working on scraping off the rest of the factory undercoat which is a pain in the ass lying on your back. im not going to stop until all the rust i can find is covered in por15. i want this car to last as a daily driver for me and hold up to chicago winters for many years to come.

i will update again in a couple of weeks b/c when this semester is over im going to hit it up hardcore and get as much done as i can. ill also post pics of the rusty nightmare.

88st165

rust is like just transformers.... theres more than meets the eye

the rust in these pics dont look to bad but def more then i bargained for...

also every weld on the quarter that was replaced was rusty b/c they didnt properly paint over them after it was done... granted it was mostly surface rust, if i didnt catch it then it could have eventually gotten far worse...

DSCN2870.jpg

DSCN2871.jpg

DSCN2872.jpg

DSCN2873.jpg

the pic below is where then cut through as you can see, but what you cant see is that they (whoever did the repair b/c i dont know any history on the car when i bought it) also cut through the sunroof drain tube and then welded the new quarter on without plugging or running a new drain tube.... resulting in the water pooling right where the joint was welded obviously causing rust not only there but other places as well...
DSCN2874.jpg

DSCN2875.jpg

DSCN2876.jpg

DSCN2877.jpg

DSCN2879.jpg

DSCN2881.jpg

DSCN2883.jpg

DSCN2884.jpg

DSCN2885.jpg

DSCN2886.jpg

DSCN2887.jpg

DSCN2888.jpg

DSCN2889.jpg

and my fav antenna mod, lots of silicone will make it fit ..... they must have really been desperate to have an antenna haha....
DSCN2880.jpg

stay tuned for more rust to come....

bloodMoney

Wow. That white one looks a lot like mine... :cry:

At least i know that I'm not alone. Although, you do have two other ones...

~bloodMoney

88st165

well since finals are over i can get back to working on the car.... more rust repair ofcourse.... i could have been driving the car for months now but i just didnt want the rust to get worse so its not going to see the road till all the rust i can find is covered with por15...

bloodMoney

Are you grinding the rust off before the POR15 or are u just laying it on there? I'm not quite sure how the stuff works...

~bloodMoney