Bump steer and roll center correction....

gtfour77

I am currently working on a roll center adjusters, I will post pictures once it's done.
The next step is to correct bump steer via rods that will mount the outer tie rod end on the bottom of the steering knuckle mounting location instead of the stok top location... Does nayone know what size thread and pitch the stock tie rods have? I am getting ready to order a couple of these spherical bearing tie rod ends but wanted to confirm the thread size before I do so... I am guessing 14mm 1.5 pitch? Anyone know for sure? Here is what is needed.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc ... oduct=3067

Here is what it will look like...
http://members.cox.net/2bav8photo/granada05_baer.jpg

I will have more info after this weekend. There is an autocross I will be attending and I am planning on using at least the roll center adjusters...inless I come up with something that will allow me to mount the outer tie rod end on the bottom as a temp fix...

CMS-GT4

How does installing the rod below correct bump steer?

I think the polly tie rod ends alone will yeild better steering.

Also, not sure if your interested, but there is a guy with a st205 steering rack in the FS sextion. The rack is supposed to have a shorter lock to lock ratio. It might be idea to get the gear from the rack and use them in the 185. Maybe to add to your projects.

gtfour77

Josh, mounting the outer tie rod end lower will improve bump steer on a lowered vehicle. If the rod end stays up high while the rest of body (including the steering rack) sits lower the angles are all off... the steering arms should be at the smae angle as the lower control arm for proper alignemt while under load and steering. If not moved o correct location ot will actually cause toe out on turns due to the steering knuckle moving upwards and tugging on the steering arm and not allowing it to stretch as much as it needs to. I know I am not really expaining this very clearly... :D

Here is a quote from http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/su ... acking.htm

Cornering

When cornering, the wheels are being steered into the corner. The outside suspension is compressed, whilst the inside is decompressed. At the front wheels, this means that both the inside and outside wheel, through 'roll steer,' is turning out of the corner; the inside wheel is toe-in (opposite direction of steer) whilst the outside wheel is toe-out (opposite direction of steer). Thus the front geometry is promoting some degree of stabilising opposite 'wheel lock' in cornering (although let's not over emphasise this effect - the toe-angle change is very small in comparison to the steering angle).

Let meknow if any of this doesn't make sense...

Polly tie rod ends???? Can you elaborate?

Thanks for the st205 rack info, I'll look into it...

gtfour77

You mean polyurethane? If so then no, they are teflon lined spherical bearings... no give whatsoever... I am actually getting ready to do a full spherical bearing replacement of all poly and rubber joints on the celica over the winter...and correct the front and rear roll centers while upgrading to radius rods and spherical bearing joints especially in the rear.... I know it's a lot but hey, I have 5 months before the car needs to be back on the road...

CMS-GT4

I meant teflon. Not sure what I was thinking.

I am real curious how your car turns out be next year. Post up some pics when you get a chance. Did you ever do the fenders?

gtfour77

I will take pictures when I get to finish at least part of it... Like I said the roll center adjusters should be done by this weekend, I got one completed about 80%...it's tough to cut 1.5 thick aluminum without a band saw :doh: I bought a drill press so I just keep drilling and drilling for now... :D

ion_four

I hope you have good dental insurance...you'll probably lose some fillings after replacing all your bushings ;)

I haven't looked at my suspension in a couple weeks...could one just flip the stock tie-rod upside-down in order to correct bump steer?

ion_four

I'm pretty sure all suspension mods are legal, in SM, as long as they use the original body mounting points.

I think our local region has a "don't ask, don't tell policy" until someone raises a complaint, anyway ;)

gtfour77

Haha, yes I work for the state so I do have a nice dental plan... :D But it should not be that bad at all, heck Mark Daddio has all spherical joints and he drives his car to every event... he drove to Topeka Kansas for the Nationals so it should not be that bad... As far as leagality, it is in fact leagal, like ion-four said as long original unmodified attachment points are used... Anything that moves vertically when cornering is a fair game... heck i could run custom spindles, a arms, struts...

gtfour77

Yeah right, not for now...that's getting a little deeper than necessary for now... :lol: Maybe some day when I am really really bored... heck one could do a custom conversion from nascar...they have some cool wheels with many widths available...heh

etantshi

You guys are really putting in work when it comes to these suspension mods. Hats off to all of you because I would be too lazy to do it. But when you do get it done I will def buy if there are made for others.

gtfour77

I have found out that Integra (94 and up) fender flares will work with minor modification. I purchased a set off ebay earlier in the year but it was incomplete (received two right sides)....sooo....for now my car looks like this...
9a0c.jpg

I know it's a sad looking fender but it worked all year and I had enough clearance with the 315's from lock to lock...
I am going to source another set of Integra flares or just modify the existing ones... I might take a pic this evening for illustration purposes... :wink:
After I get all the suspension stuff done it'll be bodywork time so hopefully by next early summer the car will actually look half-way decent...

Edit: edieted for horrible spelling... :doh:

ion_four

Interesting! I'd love to see what the flares look like...are they front and rear? I saw a set on eBay, but though they were listed for an Integra, they were modeled on an is300...so, very generic and probably too curvy for the 165...

I'm only running 215's on 17x8's, with a high-enough offset that they barely clear the coilovers in the rear, yet they almost rub the fenders, on the outiside...I'd love to run 235-245-series tires on the street, but I don't think this will be possible without fender flares and I'm curious as to the options!