ST165 to ST185 ECU Conversion

1BADGT4

So is this the final shopping list? Anything else? UDSM or JDM ecu?

*female receptacle
174518-7 x1

*male plugs
174514-6 (16 pin) x1
174515-6 (22 pin) x1
174516-6 (26 pin) x1

*pins (large) 173631 x16
*pins (small) 173716 x48

gpmarzan

so did anyone buy from onlinecomponents with their min order of $30? That means that you have a bunch of extras in hand. Let me know if you do and I will buy the needed parts from you. PM me as im really interested on how my car would work with the st185 ecu that the engine is originally designed to work on.

EDIT. Also for the pins, can anyone confirm the right part number for the 173631-? and 173716-?

gpmarzan

ok guys, i am ready to purchase the necessary connectors from onlinecomponents. Anyone with me in purchasing these to get to their minimum order of $30? You can paypal me half of it and I will ship you your set free of charge when it gets here. How about it?

aubeone

All4Traction":2kp341z7 said:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well, I wired up my 185 ecu to my 165 harness and it started up in -10deg. celcius!

I have to wire the IC pump constant and then take it for a test drive tomorrow.

Here's a pic of the adapter harness i made so I didnt have to hard wire everything up in -20 to -35 deg. Celcius weather. Also it allowed me to switch back to my 165 ecu if it didnt work.

Picture032.jpg
[/quote]

You didn't by any chance document the changes you made to the pin-outs, did you?

MXP_57

Hi, i'm cedric from perth, australia.

I ve got a st165 jdm with a st185 jdm engine. but was still running with the st165 ecu and loom.

I needed to swap to the st185 ecu because 1987 st165 jdm doesn't have fuel cut based on pressure from the PIM. It's measured with the air flow. So i cannot boost more than 10 psi.

I plugged everything. The car start, but the air fuel ratio is lean, and there is black coming out of the exhaust when i accelerate. I didn't test drive, just idle. Code error 32 ( open circuit on E2 or short between vc and vs.)

Could you tell me how did you do to plug FC and OX2 ?
Could it be because there s nothing plugged in PIM?

Thank you very much for your help, i 'm a bit stuck...

:wink:

aubeone

I have made an Excel Spreadsheet that converts the ECU side of the harness and the Engine side of the harness from the 1st Gen 3SGTE to the 2nd Gen and provides wire colour-to-wire colour equivilants.

I've been working on it for a year now, and have been fortunate to have a Toyota dealership's resources at my disposal.

I am unsure of how to post it, so if anyone wants a copy, shoot me an email and I'll fire it off to you promptly.

Evan.

aubeone

I am most of the way done my harness adapter, but wanted to check with other who have already succuessfully completed this to make sure I'm on the right track.

I have used the female plug from a 162 ecu that wasn't every going to see the light of day again, and picked up the male plugs from Dany. I moved the required pins (finally realized after about 30 minutes of trying to work the first pin free that there's a release on the plug...) and am well on my way to making a much less visually appealing version of the picture above.

Here's my question: This adapter is to get the engine to run on it's own computer, utilizing the 165 harness already run throughout the car right? Will the 165 harness, already attached to the lights, doors, etc. continue to work those items?

I guess what it mentally tripping me up is the idea that the 185 has a seperate harness for the inside of the car.

Also, I have been using the online BGB from CelicaTech for the 185...does anyone know if the pin-outs are different for the jdm 185 than the usdm 185?

gpmarzan

I have just ordered 3 sets of pins/couplers from onlinecomponents to meet 35 bucks. I will eventually do 3 of these and will offer them to members here on the forum. :smokes:

xCH121Sx

gpmarzan":r30bdwv4 said:
I have just ordered 3 sets of pins/couplers from onlinecomponents to meet 35 bucks. I will eventually do 3 of these and will offer them to members here on the forum. :smokes:

cool im in for one.

robusk

Just one more question did the a/c end up working ??? I read that u were not sure and my car has a/c so im curious?? thanks robusk

gpmarzan

polarmoment":c7oruujc said:
female receptacle is amp/tyco part # 174518-7

the male plugs are part #'s 174514-6 (16 pin), 174515-6 (22 pin), and 174516-6 (26 pin), with contacts being part #'s 173631 (large) and 173716 (small). you'll need 16 of the larger and 48 of the smaller ones.

I shouldve done my research some more. The female receptacle part # listed above is for an st185. I received my order today and playing around with it, i was able to hook up the female recept with the male plugs which I automatically said "damnit." I think the part # for the st165 female recept is 172319-7.

Dr Tweak

Hey guys,

I realize I'm late to this thread, actually someone just emailed it to me and asked if I could help. I supply patch/conversion harnesses for all different types of setups, here's an example of one that we do:

Going from the late version 3SGTE ECU to the early or vice-versa:

jumperharness1.jpg

As you can see the wires, after being soldered to the header and heat-shrinked, are also epoxied in place to secure and stress-relieve them (otherwise they could easily break off). The pins on the ECU side are all crimped using OEM terminals and are machine-crimped. This is done using all new parts.

I've done quite a few different setups, like running a 4AGE (turbocharged) with a 3SGTE ECU, and could easily make one to go from an ST165 harness to any version 3SGTE ECU. Typically harnesses like these are around $150 or so, I'll have to see exactly after I build a couple if the price needs adjustment.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have :)

-Doc

gpmarzan

onlinecomponents have a minimum order of 200 pcs for the st165 receptacle. I know because it took them 3 weeks after placing my order to email me telling me about it. I ended up going to tycoelectronics website and requested a free sample. Ordered one day and was shipped the next day from Japan. Shouldve done that all along.