SMT-6 installed!

ChrisD

Zeus":ecpiluws said:
tunning sure is fun!

ive learned more in the last couple weeks than in the last couple years!

No kidding! It's amazing how much you learn-by-doing with this. I am really excited to start some wide band tuning! :D

I'll keep updating you guys as I progress with this. I'll also do a street dyno after tuning is finished.

Weasy2k

Thanks for the updates chris,
Good to see things are running smoothly like they are supposed to :p
Enjoy the tuning process!

jhull

john,
wanted to update you that i got the msd-8509 in and installed it and spark is perfect! anyone looking to go with a prs unit save urself some time and get one msd-8509 before installation for the cam signal the unit only cost about $80.00 usd. and converts the weak cam signal to a stronger square wave signal. im sure other ems units need it as well. the issue isnt the prs unit but the stock cam signal is really weak! ems is fun!

Weasy2k

jhull":1e33fwrj said:
john,
wanted to update you that i got the msd-8509 in and installed it and spark is perfect! anyone looking to go with a prs unit save urself some time and get one msd-8509 before installation for the cam signal the unit only cost about $80.00 usd. and converts the weak cam signal to a stronger square wave signal. im sure other ems units need it as well. the issue isnt the prs unit but the stock cam signal is really weak! ems is fun!

Awsome! SO that was answer to the issue....good to hear!(writing that one down)

3sgte4me

Hi,

I just bought one these units for my 1st Gen. I actually got hooked on it because of my SRT-4.

Anyhow, short of f'ing things up, Chris do you have a "base map" that can be used with the vehicle?

And I have a few questions. I have an HKS FCON, a supra turbo, and 550cc injectors, and Id like to figure out what its going to take to make 300HP- i.e. at least keep up with a stock wrx or my srt-4. Does this imply internal engine changes as well?

I increased the scope of my questions, but I have goal of 300hp, but need some advice in terms of solid mods using an smt6

Weasy2k

3sgte4me":15ab2a86 said:
Hi,

I just bought one these units for my 1st Gen. I actually got hooked on it because of my SRT-4.

Anyhow, short of f'ing things up, Chris do you have a "base map" that can be used with the vehicle?

And I have a few questions. I have an HKS FCON, a supra turbo, and 550cc injectors, and Id like to figure out what its going to take to make 300HP- i.e. at least keep up with a stock wrx or my srt-4. Does this imply internal engine changes as well?

I increased the scope of my questions, but I have goal of 300hp, but need some advice in terms of solid mods using an smt6

You can abtain 300whp with the SMT6 550cc injectors, CT20b, (or modded CT26 Supra Turbo), and a SUpra fuel pump (or equivlent) to be able to run around the 300whp area....
Also a adjustable fuel pressure regulator would be nice as well. The 550cc runs out of breath around the 310ish WHP so keep an eye on the AFR.
(make sure you have a wideband to tune with)

3sgte4me

Thanks for your response.

In terms of the modded CT26 Supra turbo what does that enatil.

Also the car easily has 115K miles on it but is super clean.

The head gasket etc, can be kept stock or ??

Also The downpipe and other components can be kept stock as well?

So let me get this straight- fuel pump, injectors, the smt 6

what will allow you to boost more- is that my HKS components or should I leave those out of the equation?

Weasy2k

3sgte4me":18y9adra said:
Thanks for your response.

In terms of the modded CT26 Supra turbo what does that enatil.

Also the car easily has 115K miles on it but is super clean.

The head gasket etc, can be kept stock or ??

Also The downpipe and other components can be kept stock as well?

So let me get this straight- fuel pump, injectors, the smt 6

what will allow you to boost more- is that my HKS components or should I leave those out of the equation?

It probably has a 60trim wheel on it which pritty much keeps your boost at 15psi all the way till redline vs dieing off at like 5k rpm.

I am not sure what the difference between GEN I 3s and the GEN II are but from what i understand if the stock injectors are the same as the GENII (440cc) then the supra turbo will not have enough guts to lean out the stock fuel system. I may be wrong i will let chris come in on this one becuase i am still learning about the 3s Generatoins :p

As far as opening your engine up...no..you wont need to unless something si wrong inside, people have pushed over 400whp without opening the engine up so you have noting to worry about.

Fuel pump, injectors, and the smt6/7 is the base for fuel upgrades :p

ChrisD

Weasy2k":5m4dquru said:
It probably has a 60trim wheel on it which pritty much keeps your boost at 15psi all the way till redline vs dieing off at like 5k rpm.

I am not sure what the difference between GEN I 3s and the GEN II are but from what i understand if the stock injectors are the same as the GENII (440cc) then the supra turbo will not have enough guts to lean out the stock fuel system. I may be wrong i will let chris come in on this one becuase i am still learning about the 3s Generatoins :p

As far as opening your engine up...no..you wont need to unless something si wrong inside, people have pushed over 400whp without opening the engine up so you have noting to worry about.

Fuel pump, injectors, and the smt6/7 is the base for fuel upgrades :p

Gen 1 3s has a top feed fuel rail and injectors, versus the side feed of the gen 2. They are both 440cc/min however. Leaning out on that turbo is difficult, but can be done. Depends on what duty cycle you like to run. Stock ECU will go all the way to pretty much 100% when AFM is wide open.

People can get away without rebuilding, however most of the time the engine gets "opened up" to change to a MHG at that power.

:)

I can give more info if needed.

pog0

chris,

how much did you pay for your smt6? considering a piggy back again if its cheap and this looks like it is MUCH better than the VPC setup I had. I have seen that most of them sell for about 200-250 on the mr2 board with the quick search but nothin too much over that... let me know dude.

ChrisD

Hey Kevin,

I got it used for $250 + shipping from Weasy2k. He's a dealer for them. http://www.sea2skytuning.com (all his prices are in Canadian $)

The SMT7 allows you to get rid of the AFM too. People say you can do that with the SMT6 but it is much harder. I think Johnny (weasy2k) said there might be a group buy on the SMT7 after he gets through with testing it?

This is likely a lot easier to tune than the VPC, since you get to alter maps on a laptop instead of knobs like on the VPC. So far I'm really enjoying it. I am currently waiting on a set of o-rings for my injectors, and my wide band to arrive, then I should be ready for some real tuning. :)

I will absolutely keep people updated as I make progress! If you have any other questions Kevin just ask. :)

Weasy2k

chris_dittrick":1gv2l5fc said:
This is the only site I can find on using hte SMT6 to replace the AFM with a MAP. http://www.idaautomotive.com/changing_o ... ap_sen.htm

Johnny are there any other sites out there that describe this process?

Not that i know of chris, i just discovered that site today as well after talking to Canspeed to find out where my smt7 is :p (delayed :( )
However i was sent a email on how to do it by one of the PP techs, im going to make it into a write up as soon as i get the smt7 installed in my truck and the smt6 installed in car (testing both vehicles).

pog0

Maybe I should have read, just saw a dollar sign and was like damn 710! Thank god its canadian... much more appealing.

There is a used smt6 on ebay for 250, dont know if i should do that and try to do the map sensor conversion or just save for the turbo.

Weasy2k

92AllTracTurbo":2dkcq535 said:
Maybe I should have read, just saw a dollar sign and was like damn 710! Thank god its canadian... much more appealing.

There is a used smt6 on ebay for 250, dont know if i should do that and try to do the map sensor conversion or just save for the turbo.

The MAP conversion with the smt6 is not a easy job since you have to read voltage of the map sensor for each cell in the smt6 and record voltage of your AFM as well. At this pointyou will remove the AFM and plug in numbers to match your stock AFM's voltage. Then from there you will be able to tune like normal, easier said then done.
If you wait for the smt7 which is about 100-150usd more then the smt6 you will be able to have alot more features like boost control (with boost solnooid needed) and auto tune afm to map conversion :)

Yea sorrya bout the USD prices...im going to be adding them in shortly as well. There is alot that has to be added.

pog0

Looks like its around 600 bucks USD, then I would probably need to buy a VPC harness or something since I really dont want to splice all those wires into my harness. Good deal though, when I have extra cash, I will be picking one up myself. I gotta get rid of that damn AFM again. :shoots:

Weasy2k

92AllTracTurbo":3clu9hwe said:
Looks like its around 600 bucks USD, then I would probably need to buy a VPC harness or something since I really dont want to splice all those wires into my harness. Good deal though, when I have extra cash, I will be picking one up myself. I gotta get rid of that damn AFM again. :shoots:

Woud you be interested in a harness? I am in the works of getting harnesses that will plug and play into the 3s-gte ecu's. cost around 100ish usd.

The smt6 is 583usd