Drag racing tips from Supraforums

lumbercis

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showth ... p?t=350429

I thought this was an interesting article on launching and drag setup for the MKIII Supra. Although the platforms are very different, one thing we share is lots of weight and poor 60ft times (esp for an AWD platform).

Since the platforms are fairly different, I was wondering what our experienced drag racers thought might apply to alltracs as well.

Several things he mentions I had never heard of before, such as disconnecting the front sway bar, and running positive camber in the rear.

Also, I wonder if how we deal with weight transfer is different because of the AWD setup. I know TitanDarin is getting sick 60ft times in his MkIV Supra with STOCK suspension in the rear. The soft rear causes the car to squat like crazy so the rear wheels bear all the weight. But since our front wheels are also drive wheels, do we want stiffer rear to actually reduce squat?

If you have seen any other launching/drag setup tips from other boards (esp. AWD platforms) that you think would be helpful, post them up!

J.

stevo27

lumbercis":2girxmv2 said:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350429

do we want stiffer rear to actually reduce squat?

J.

NO!! lol you still want the car to squat regardless if it is AWD
with the stiffer rear you would be distributing the weight to all
tires
the motion of all the weight moving to the rear gives you
sooo much more bite into the pavement it's night and day

RedCelicaTRD

It's a two way street. If you squat to much you wont have maximum traction, and the same goes if you are to stiff. You need the car to have some resistance in the suspension to be able to generate force down onto the tires and not just make body movement. If you are too stiff you don't transfer enough force to the tires and wont hook up as well as you can.

RedCelicaTRD

And as for crappy 60' times, thats because noone has really tried. Get Trevor some good tires and he'll show you a good 60' time. I'm sure Patrick can pull off some good times, also. Most people on this site don't drag race enough to get into the groove of achieving low 60'.

stevo27

next season i should be pulling some sick 60 ft's with my lightening im at 2800lbs and 9" wide slicks on all 4 corners 8)

lumbercis

Did some browsing on dsmtuners and found this thread:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthr ... AWD+launch
Guess that answers the squat question!

One thing I noticed in all those pics was that the rears were all sporting significant negative camber during the squat, while the fronts were going almost postive depending on how much the front lifted. So that would suggest at least 0 or maybe -1 camber in the front with some postive camber in the rear might help to keep max contact patch on the launch. What do you think?

I'm assuming it's a bad idea to fight negative camber during squat with stiffening the rear suspension?

J.

lumbercis

Also came across a cool idea for dedicated track wheels: Rota Slipstreams!

attachment.php

From this site http://www.machiii.net/wheels/Rota_Slipstream.html you can get them for $500 for a set of 4, they come in our bolt pattern in 15" and 16" and are somewhere between 11 and 13 pounds a wheel. Not 100% sure about the offsets for our cars though.

J.

Celi-GT4

What's a good 60 ft time? I pull 1.80-1.85 aqll the time and am now wher near an expert of have done anything important to the car. 205's to boot. Don't seem to get taken by STI or EVO either. Just wondering

RedCelicaTRD

Celi-GT4":121p230i said:
What's a good 60 ft time? I pull 1.80-1.85 aqll the time and am now wher near an expert of have done anything important to the car. 205's to boot. Don't seem to get taken by STI or EVO either. Just wondering

Those are some good times for street tires.

hnygt4

positive camber on the back will help, as the suspension moves the camber changes, if its set right the tyres will have maximum area on the ground for the launch, with our cars we should have negative on the front, to keep max area down when the front of the car rises, although i dont think many of us have a wheel/tyre/power set up that'll take full advantage of this, if any.

tjdouble07

Celi-GT4":1s9ehjcl said:

If anyone cares, on my 205/40/17 H rated Kumhos, I pull 1.75 second 60 foot times. I think I still have a lot of room for improvement though.

Celi-GT4

Thats what I thought as well. I always seem to overrev 1st a bit. I wanted to go racing tonight but the damn monsoon/ TS is soaking us here. Are you running a LSD?

lumbercis

Don't get too riled up about my poor 60ft comment. I was just being provocative. :wink:

The real question is, WHY are you guys running 205 street tires at the drag strip!!!??? :| Anybody can pull 1.8's. Throw on some light track wheels with some slicks and show me some 1.4's! :shock: :p
J.

tjdouble07

lumbercis":1rpv1l6h said:
Don't get too riled up about my poor 60ft comment. I was just being provocative. :wink:

The real question is, WHY are you guys running 205 street tires at the drag strip!!!??? :| Anybody can pull 1.8's. Throw on some light track wheels with some slicks and show me some 1.4's! :shock: :p
J.

I'm running 205's because they are cheap and I kill tires. The 205's are my DD tires.

Next season I'll be running drag radials at the track on my stock rims along with a few other changes, so we'll see what happens next year... :)

lumbercis

looking forward to seeing that! BTW, the best 60' in the (somewhat out of date) 1/4 mile database is 1.673. Top it and you'll have the record!! :shoots:

J.