OEM vs Aftermarket Release Bearing: Which One?

OEM vs Aftermarket

• OEM release bearing

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • ORC Ogura Release bearing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Corey

Hello,

I'm just about to place an fairly large order with 1st toyota, and im not sure if i should include an OEM throwout bearing or not?

I'm buying an ORC 409 clutch. I know that Meurz went with the ORC bearing, and I dont beleive he has any trouble with it over the last couple years.

But i've read threads where members have stated to Always use the OEM throwout bearing, no matter what. So.. what do i do?

The reason im dropping the engine in the first place is because of a squeaky bearing. So to put all this cash into the car, just to end up with another sqeaky bearing would really set me of lol

I'm sure ORC wouldnt make such a nice clutch, only to mess it up with a crap bearing.

Should i bother with the OEM bearing, or not?

Corey

grip addict

i decided to be trendy and i went with the oem to bearing. the parts look feel and taste the same, so i am not sure what the difference is. i can tell you though, that for the amount of money that the bearing cost versus the amount of time and effort it takes to get to said bearing, i think it's worth the extra item on the order.

Corey

Hum... I may decide to order it just to be on the safe side, then decide to use it or not when i see the two side by side.

Although some more opinions would be great.

thanks

corey

Meurz

Like I said before, I can't see why you wouldn't put the ORC bearing in.. It comes with the kit, it's designed specially to work with such a kit. I'd slap myself if I changed a proven configuration only to risk another engine drop if it doesn't work out with the (way) stiffer ORC pressure plate. Do you think the bearing is causing the rattle? The silent versions come with the same bearing.. They have a different plate setup with feathering springs. If you don't want noise, buy an OEM clutch? :shrug:

Corey

I've got an OEM clutch in there right now. The noise has gotten worse since i first got the car.. I can only assume it to be the bearing. The noise stops when i disengadge the clutch.

I agree with Rene, what makes the OEM bearing so special? They are all just bearings. So why are a number of members set on using oem with an after market clutch? Or does it depend on the make of clutch, that they wont use their bearings?

Thanks all :)

PS. i wont mind the noise if its actually supposed to be there lol. but a busted TO bearing doesnt sound very sporty. It's a belt whine noise vs a performance clutch rattle. and occurs when the clutch is engaged, where as the rattle is when they are disengadged?
I'll probably be getting the Silent version of the 409 though.

Corey

Simba

If the bearing your clutch came with is the same size as the OEM, and the pressure plate isn't a huge amount stiffer, I'd use the OEM bearing. Else, use whatever it came with.

gt4tified

Corey Darling":v0u4t254 said:
I agree with Rene, what makes the OEM bearing so special? They are all just bearings. Corey

You'd be surprised.

Corey Darling":v0u4t254 said:
So why are a number of members set on using oem with an after market clutch? Or does it depend on the make of clutch, that they wont use their bearings? Corey

Because, time and again, these members (including myself) can all attest to failed bearings. I bought a used clutch and pressure plate but a BRAND NEW release bearing and guess what's taking a shat on me 3 months after the install? Personally I wondered the same thing but I guess I was too dumbass to listen and had to learn the hard way. I wish you better judgement. 8)

Corey

Thanks. I'll do some mre research on this one, maybe its perticular manufacture's branded bearings that aren't up to snuff.

If the bearing your clutch came with is the same size as the OEM, and the pressure plate isn't a huge amount stiffer, I'd use the OEM bearing. Else, use whatever it came with.

By size? do you mean in overall diameter? thickness? I'm guessing the inner diameter will be the same.

Thanks

Corey

Corey

I think i'll try the ORC bearing. Just to test it. I've put 15k km on a worn OEM bearing so far, so if the ORC craps out like this one, it'll still have some life out of it. And hopefully my second engine drop will be a breeze lol.

But if anyone has more experience with aftermarket vs oem, and which aftermarket they used, that would be nice :)

Simba

Corey Darling":vtxlho8v said:
By size? do you mean in overall diameter? thickness?

Thickless/length, whichever term you prefer. Some are significantly longer than the stock bearing.

stevo27

ok
ive done a comparison between the act and the oem release bearing

they both are nsk bearings

side by side the oem bearing is quite a bit beefier

oem bearing weighs in at 295.9 grams

act bearing weighs in at 213.1 grams

the act uses a plastic ring + clips to hold the fork clip in place and then gets a 1/4" narrower

the oem uses a steel clip to hold the fork clip in place has no collar insted it is soild

the overall feel of the oem bearing is better smoother and solid

i will put up pics shortly 8)

oem

Corey

Awesome, just what i was looking for. Thanks :D

I think i will order the OEM. and compare side by side like you have. If the ORC doesnt appear to be as nice as the OEM.... But, if it is, or even better, ill sell the OEM on here for cheap.

Corey

Simba: I'm guessing you went with the OEM bearing for your new HKS setup? did it come with its own bearing?

Corey

^^ ouch on that price, i think 1st toyota has them for about 50$

I did some reading on the MR2 forum, the concensus there is that if you use a SPEC or ACT kit, get the OEM bearing.

But no mention of other kits, like HKS, ORC, ect.

I'd really like to see those pics when you get a chance too :D

gt4tified

Just to update, when my clutch failed on me last week and I dropped the gearbox, the ACT release bearing (which was very noisy after only a couple weeks on installation) was gone...it did not spin freely but there was no play on the bearing. All in all I'll never install an aftermarket bearing again!

Corey

Figure I should update this post:

Here is new OEM vs ACT I just purchased. I'll be using OEM in this case - they are virtually identical in dimension.

image.php

image.php

Here is OEM vs ORC - Very different
I ended up going with the ORC bearing.

image.php