Interest Thread: Berk Technology 3" Midpipe

Would you be interested in a 3" midpipe from Berk Technology?

• Yes! Ready to buy!

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Yes, would buy in the future

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No, not interested, we already have enough options

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

lumbercis

Hi all!

After the frustrations i encountered trying to find a quality reasonably priced midpipe (see here: http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24126 ) I decided to contact Berk Technology to see if he would be interested in making us a 3" midpipe.

He said he would be willing to make it if there was enough interest from the community, thus this poll. He doesn't have a price yet since there isn't even a prototype right now, but I made it clear that we were looking for a better quality option than the $200 SSAC from 935, but something less expensive than the $410 Aussie.

I chose Berk simply because he is local to me so I could provide my car for test fitment, and he has a good reputation for his fabrication skills and business practices from mr2oc.

His website is under construction right now (www.berktechnology.com) but here are a couple pictures of his handiwork:
Photo0005-5.jpg

Photo0006-5.jpg

He also specializes in GT30xx turbo kits.
mr2%20gt3071r%20kit.jpg

So, lets see what interest we have for a new product for the GT-Four!!!

J.

Toxygene

Do you think he could create a 3" downpipe with a pre-cat in it? California Smog sucks and I want to skirt about as close to legal as I can.

lumbercis

@Corey Darling. No, there is only the SSAC or Aussie.

To be perfectly honest, I can't ever see a reason to put anything but a 3" exhaust on an alltrac. 2.5" has been dyno-proven to be a restriction even on relatively low power mr2s. And what happens when you want more power? You would need to re-do your whole exhaust system. If you get a 3" you will never have to worry about your exhaust again. The ONLY benefit of a 2.5" system is sound. But honestly, if you just make smart choices, you can have a 3" system that flows better and isn't loud at all.

J.

smog7

Toxygene":j9ashtjy said:
Do you think he could create a 3" downpipe with a pre-cat in it? California Smog sucks and I want to skirt about as close to legal as I can.

By adding a good high flow cat wont you eliminate this?

Toxygene

smog7":viezxfl8 said:
Toxygene":viezxfl8 said:

By adding a good high flow cat wont you eliminate this?

Not sure what you meant but even if I add a high flow cat to the mid-pipe or wherever it's supposed to be, I still need to show the pre-cat for a smog test and the now ominous roaming smog checks performed by our lovely police state.

ST185pinjo

What is a pre-cat? A second cat?

I have had email contact with Bryan(Berk) for my turbo kit. He is very kind and responds quickly. The DP looks good, and so do his turbo kits.
I already have a full 3" aussie system.

If any of you have dyno proof of a 3" being more powerfull than a 2,5" at low/stock hp I would love to see it. Have been questioning this for a long time now.

Meurz

Toxygene":3dxb4ctn said:
SARD already does them. Dunno if it's discontinued though, but I'm loving it! :smokes:

sard-cat.jpg

alltracshoak

blinging.. 8) i could imagine what a pain in the ass it will be if the cat failed..welding it on would be a pain and hoping it wouldnt crack is another story.

If the Aussie MP could be replicated that would be great (that includes offering a hi flow cat option)

That SARD is badass, if he could build one of those and have it fit I would
be all over it. I would love to be back to stock config with emissions just
in case (already have a hiflow cat in my midpipe to replace the stock
secondary cat).

Toxygene

Meurz":2nirfbo2 said:
Toxygene":2nirfbo2 said:
SARD already does them. Dunno if it's discontinued though, but I'm loving it! :smokes:

sard-cat.jpg

Do you know what the part number was for the Sard Downpipe and who did you purchase it through?

lumbercis

ST185pinjo":1obfbrgb said:
If any of you have dyno proof of a 3" being more powerfull than a 2,5" at low/stock hp I would love to see it. Have been questioning this for a long time now.

This is a comparison of 2.5 vs. 3" downpipes done by ATS racing.

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=2 ... t=2.5+inch
"Here's a KO 2.5" vs. an Aussie 3". Looks like the Aussie starts making more power at around the 125RWHP/180RWTQ point on the graph:"
3versus25.jpg

@Toxy: I think your best bet would be to gut the stock precat and then run a high flow in the midpipe. That way it passes visual and smog without too much restriction. I wouldn't bet on something like that SARD DP working because it's obviously not stock and technically you have still modified an emissions component (unless the SARD has a CARB number) Yes, I know it doesn't make logical sense, but thats our smog laws for you.

J.

ST185pinjo

^^^^^

That thread is about the difference in DP not a whole 3"system or a 3"DP with a 2,5" system.

Not much ST185 owners on this board have 300 WHP like the MR2 in that Dyno.

Denver_whiteST185

smog7":2y2xogfg said:

there is also a divorced wastegate downpipe i see pop up every once in awhile on MR2OC, however you have to relocate your oil filter to use it.

BTW, if you look on the second page, the guy says that it costs over $800 for that sard plus shipping. if your only doing it for inspection, get a berk tech, and cover the flex section with some sort of heat wrap and i bet they'll think its a cat. its the right size.

lumbercis

ST185pinjo":3obdx0dn said:
^^^^^

That thread is about the difference in DP not a whole 3"system or a 3"DP with a 2,5" system.

Not much ST185 owners on this board have 300 WHP like the MR2 in that Dyno.

I think you are missing a couple salient points. The test was for downpipes, but they didn't test a 3" downpipe with a 2.5" exhaust. That would make no logical sense if you wanted to test the difference in diameter. The 2.5" DP was either with a 2.5" exhaust or no exhaust at all. The 3" was either with a 3" exhaust or no exhaust at all. Also, don't let the fact that they are talking about DPs only confuse you. Just think of it like they are testing a 2.5" restriction vs. a 3" restriction.

Also, it doesn't necessarily matter that most of our cars are not making 300whp. It is a mistake to concentrate only on peak power. As KBlake said, the 3" system starts making more power a 125whp. So unless your car is making less than 125whp, you will see some benefit with a 3" system vs a 2.5" system. Of course, the more power you are running overall, the greater the benefit.

J.

ST185pinjo

All I'm trying to say is, a 5hp difference would not compensate to the added noise of the 3" for me personaly.

My 3"aussie is such a tight fit, it rattles an resonates quite a lot. Having 5 hp less and less resonating and rattles would make me consider a 2,5".