Factory 1/4 Mile times

A

Anonymous

Ok, so hi. I have a question. There is a kid that works with me who seems to be a little on the wrong side of every automotive argument.

He claims that a 92 Celica ALL Trac, with its 200hp and 200 lb-ft of torque, will run a 14.3 second quarter mile stock. This with its weight of 3200 lbs.

This does not add up correctly. I gave him an example of the first car I bracket raced...a 2001 Dodge Intrepid, which had 230 hp and a race weight (fully filled with gas and me in it) of 3730 lbs. Thats about 430 lbs more than his car would be with stock equipment and him in it. With the parasitic loss of an awd system, and the improvements made to the Intrepid, the vehicles put about the same power to the ground. This car ran a whopping 16.30 at sea level.

So please, can someone 1) explain to me how a car that should run a 15.50-15.80 is going to pick up an extra 1.3 seconds (or 130 hp....) or 2) assist me in letting him know that he is wrong for stock numbers.

Mind you, he has never been on a racetrack, I have bracket raced for 3 years against most everything, and am a regular top-10 points finisher.

Thanks in advance.

evo

not without more boost

I think a stock '92 will run a 15.4 on a good day, they boost a little more than the 90-91, I think they generate more like 220hp since they boost around 10psi at WOT in 3rd 4th and 5th (don't remember about 2nd, been a while since i ran a stock exhaust)

Now keep in mind it's 15 years old, so if it's still stock It would have to be in really good shape to get these numbers

WarTowels

Yeah, when it NEW it's rated at what... 15.3, or 15.4 or something.

I'd be happy if I ran a 16.00.

No way it gonna do 14's without some sort of "out of the factory" mods. Whether that be less weight, slicks, ect. Something out of factory spec.

-Towels

jlspec

It was 15.2 I believe but it does depend on the driver. To add to the question would be what was the stock recorded time for the 1/8 back in 1990-1993?

WarTowels

Where do you get 15.2 from?

Alltrac.net says 15.3, and every other QM listing I've ever seen has been higher.

-Towels

toayoztan

threefortyduster":20pg7raw said:
So please, can someone 1) explain to me how a car that should run a 15.50-15.80 is going to pick up an extra 1.3 seconds (or 130 hp....)

It's not. A stock car, assuming it is running stock boost (sometimes they run more or less due to wear and tear), will only net anywhere from 15.4-15.8 and that's with a good launch and driver.

threefortyduster":20pg7raw said:
or 2) assist me in letting him know that he is wrong for stock numbers.

Is the car completely stock? Does it have exhaust and a boost controller?

To help give him an idea what our cars really run and what's required to hit certain numbers, have him check out this link:

http://www.gtfour.ca/race.html

Bryan

eddie_gt4

TOYOTA CELICA TURBO 4WD CARLOS SAINZ
Technical Specification

Maximum speed 143 mph
0-60 mph 7.6 secs
0-400 m 15.4 secs

info from press release

sirscrtm

Wow thats quite the discrepency between 3sgte powered cars.

My gen 3 duce runs 13.3 from the factory, I can find video evidence to prove this if anyone needs it.

Stock quartermile times is not wut counts for ppl that arent afraid to put some money under their hoods, its how much untapped potential is left in the stock motor, and thanks to the stock iron block, and 540cc injectors, the 3sgte is vastly overengineered for making a lot more power than it came with from the factory.

One Al Power on mr2oc made 540whp on stock bottom end, but with a worked head.

One guy on mr2oc even ran an 11.4 using his stock 440cc injectors and a turbo kit/methanol injection kit, stock cams stock ecu, stock unopened motor etc.

etantshi

sirscrtm":3pa6x8uf said:
Wow thats quite the discrepency between 3sgte powered cars.

My gen 3 duce runs 13.3 from the factory, I can find video evidence to prove this if anyone needs it.

Stock quartermile times is not wut counts for ppl that arent afraid to put some money under their hoods, its how much untapped potential is left in the stock motor, and thanks to the stock iron block, and 540cc injectors, the 3sgte is vastly overengineered for making a lot more power than it came with from the factory.

One Al Power on mr2oc made 540whp on stock bottom end, but with a worked head.

One guy on mr2oc even ran an 11.4 using his stock 440cc injectors and a turbo kit/methanol injection kit, stock cams stock ecu, stock unopened motor etc.

Well the discrepency comes in the fact that you're comparing to different 3s motors in two different cars. The gen III has many improvements over the gen II in addition you're comparing a mr2 with an all trac. Different weight different drivetrain. I'm sure if I put a gen III into a 70s corolla I'd rip it up at and make 12s easily.