88st165's alltracs

88st165

im wire-wheeling as much of it off as i can.... it says it works best when there is some rust to "grab" onto.... im really impressed with this stuff and it goes a long way.... ive done right under the drivers side under the pedal area top and bottom and the rocker panel and i have only went through a 4oz starter can.... after seeing the results i promptly spent $120 on other por15 products....

88st165

well today i hit it up hard for about 10hrs! i think i got a decent amount of work done... i did alot of rust removal and por15 painting (which takes the longest: scraping, wire-wheeling, painting, waiting)... i also dropped the gas tank b/c it has a walbro pump... it wasnt bad, i did it by myself fairly quickly..... i have another tank waiting to go in after i drain the old gas out plus it has a stock working pump which id rather use b/c ill put the walbro on my other 165... i didnt take any pics of the rust which i should have :doh:

DSCN2894.jpg

haha oh and dont worry, that heater wasnt on...
DSCN2893.jpg

88st165

well i needed a change of scenery so i worked on the red car for a change.... started on a air box and finished a part for a custom waterline for the turbo b/c the one i have now isnt as reliable as id like it to be....

pics:

DSCN2912.jpg

DSCN2913.jpg

DSCN2919.jpg

DSCN2921.jpg

DSCN2923.jpg

current:
DSCN2911.jpg

new: i drilled and tapped the fitting so i can run a metal line past the turbo so i dont have to worry about melting the rubber line...
DSCN2918.jpg

DSCN2917.jpg

88st165

update: ive recently just been working on the red car installing mods i had laying around for a while..... here are some pics of what ive been up too.... this past week i havent been working on it b/c the semester started back up at UIC and plus its -2 degrees outside today....

what you dont see is the led mounted next to the switch to indicate activation.... also i am going to order some white/amber prosports to fill up the 3 spots... the gauge in there is just for mockup... also the empty space to the right of the switch is occupied by my turbo timer controller so it doesnt look so empty but thats just temporary.
and yes all the connections were soldered, heatshrink, and taped over.... one of the best mods ive installed so far....

edit: oh i forgot to mention that the kit i used is the aquastealth kit.... i know its not the most popular of kits out there but a buddy of mine with a supercharged civic used it with great success

88st165

update:
i just ordered the erebuni wrc vent with the single little scoop.... im planning on using it on my red car, but im not going to hack up the original hood with the nice paint... i have a spare 4th gen hood laying around that im going to put the vent on.... im debating on molding in on or just riveting it on but i think im most likely going to go the rivet route.... then im going to spray it semi-gloss black (with a spray gun) along with a spare set of headlight lids so it all looks black.... im just hoping that the vent will help out alot with the under hood temps....

also i havent touched the white 165 in over a month but ill get back on that when it starts to warm up....

smog7

I too have seen first hand the terror of rust...I just discovered some this weekend. your red car is really making me start to like st165s more and more. good stuff, keep it up.

jonstew

Wow, you were not kidding about the rust in that white car. You talked to a frame shop to see what it will cost to get the black one "straightened out"? With all the cancer in the white one it might be cheaper to fix the black one....plus it's got the funky red interior which oddly enough I like. Hopefully at some point I get to see that red car in person, it sure looks good in the pictures.

88st165

^thanks to both

i havent talked to a frame shop yet but i do plan on it.... i know a guy who does frame it for a living and he would give me a decent price..... at this point i have too much time invested in the white car to let it go... im hoping that when im done i atleast have 3-4 yrs before the rust peeks its ugly head again, when it does then ill most likely sell it... hopefully all the por15 will hold it back for that long... or i can just trasnfer all the parts to the black shell if i still have it, thats why im not cutting out panels and transfering them on to the white car, "just in case"....

maybe ill get to see your 185 at this years speedsource meet if they are going to have one, not unless you arent going to attend..

jonstew

88st165":1z7578h6 said:
^thanks to both

i havent talked to a frame shop yet but i do plan on it.... i know a guy who does frame it for a living and he would give me a decent price..... at this point i have too much time invested in the white car to let it go... im hoping that when im done i atleast have 3-4 yrs before the rust peeks its ugly head again, when it does then ill most likely sell it... hopefully all the por15 will hold it back for that long... or i can just trasnfer all the parts to the black shell if i still have it, thats why im not cutting out panels and transfering them on to the white car, "just in case"....

maybe ill get to see your 185 at this years speedsource meet if they are going to have one, not unless you arent going to attend..

I'm sure you have already talked to Robb about rust but if not give him a call, the man is a rust miracle worker. The black chassis looks pretty clean from a rust standpoint, gld to hear you are not going to cut her up.

I will try to be at the Speed-Source get together this year as Nate has siad there will be one. I am currently working out in Las Vegas and will be getting married in early June so as long as the get together does not fall on the same weekend and I can get a ticket home for some decent money I will be there and hopefully will have the black car back on the road.

88st165

congrats, any woman who can put up with all the cars is a keeper!
i know mine does (when she doesnt see my bills :wink: )
hopefully i can make it to the speedsource meet this time as i havent been able to the last 2 years...

oh and i havent talked to robb about the rust one this car as i always know hes so busy, i dont want to bother him.... i do know that when killer_siller owned the car and it was at speedsource robb saw it and mentioned that it needed new rockers :cry: but we'll see... by june it should be on the road and maybe ill bring both of them to the meet if i can get someone to drive it...

88st165

here is a better pic of the switch panel and finished air box.... i do have a prosport water temp gauge on the way.... i just ordered one to see how it is.... if im satisfied with the visibility during the day then ill go ahead and buy oil press and oil temp or maybe fuel press....

DSCN2979.jpg

DSCN2980.jpg

DSCN2981.jpg

88st165

^thanks

i still have many parts to install this year:
-superpro bushing kit
-rc intercooler
-erebuni wrc hood vent
-prosport gauges
-aeromotive afpr
-walbro pump
-bored rail
-witchhunter serviced injectors
- im sure im forgetting something, oh well

(the white 165 has an even bigger list but ill post that up later)

these are the most recent pics i have from an autocross last year: (the chicagoland vw club has an awsome photographer)

90566649_NTMbFPTg_Proof_RT6Y7055.jpg

and a before pic for giggles from the first day i got the car, few years and many thousands for dollars ago........
9fd8ff6d.jpg

88st165

just finished up installing my prosport white/amber water temp gauge... the visibility of the gauge in the daytime is good, much better than i thought it would be... im going to order the oil pressure and fuel pressure sometime soon... im not sure if my placement of the sending unit is optimal but it will have to do for now...

erebuni hood vent: not bad for $50

i changed my mind and im going to go ahead and mold in into the hood rather than using bolts...

Celicatuner92

i like the look of your car it is kinda evil.

on another note maybe i will have to come out and autocross with you this year. do you know a guy that runs a saturn that looks oriental his name is Wes but he has come to the local auto cross here a few times

88st165

^thanks... oh man i forgot that you were in the chicagoland... yeah you should def come autocrossing... and if you know of any events around your area then maybe ill try to go to those too if they are open to anyone... i dont remember seeing a saturn but if you had a pic of the car then i would prob remember if i did...

yeah i look im trying to go for with the car is a clean-sleeper'ish look... the kind that makes you think that maybe its fast or maybe its not... that way im always the underdog and when you're the underdog the kill is that much sweeter...

88st165

ok small update.

red trac:
-installed new front wheel bearings
-white line anti-lift/caster bushings in the front
-finished installing the gauges
-basically tearing it up on the autox courses.

white trac:
-completed the rust removal
-removed all the factory undercoat
-painted the entire underside of the car, inside floor, and wheel wells with por15. then duplicolor truck bedliner on top of the por15 haha.
-removed cracked windsheild
-changed clutch again, this time i went with oem instead of spec, its just a daily driver

-primered and painted super white II.

_paint was omni single stage. it is the cheapest ppg line i believe (remember this is on a budget). i sprayed it with a cheap harbor freight hlvp gun. trust me i know what you are thinking. i know a few paint and body guys who cringed when i told them that but after it was all done they were impressed for what i had to work with. it had some orange peel but it all wetsanded and buffed out really nice. better than any macco job ive seen.

the rust repair and painting the por15 took what seemed to be an eternity. dont get por15 on your skin b/c it wont come off for a while. its safe to say that while im not afraid of rust, im not entirely sick of dealing with it.

the car is prob about 85% complete. still searching for a fender. still need to get a sunroof seal from toyota. still need to get a windsheild. and of course i need to put the body kit on and finish the interior.

this restoration basically took up all my summer. i worked countless 10+hr days on it. my neighbors think im crazy and often times expressed anger when they hear the compressor go of in odd hours of the night. hopefully i can finish it before the winter so i can enjoy the fruits of my labor and tear up some rallyx courses.

thats all the pics i have right now. those are about two months old. i havent touched the cars since the semester started back up b/c the work load i have is enormous. i still open the garage from time to time and just check up on them haha.

GT4times2

Looking real good. Man, you guys are pushing these projects. Im loving it. Gotta get my butt and move on too and finish some of these. I'd love to see closer shots of the paint job. The main reason I love white, more forgiving than most colors. Looks sweet. Did you paint your engine bay as well? Please take some close up shots. Thanks.

LegacyofDan

slick job man it looks good, boy it sure was a while since u last updated lol...i should bring my car by ya instead of macco lol :p