#767 of 5000 (GT4RC RIP: 09/91 - 02/08)

GT4RC

Hey guys, I figured now that I actually have a couple things installed on my baby that it's time.

I'll start with the first post in my project thread being dedicated to pics of the car.

Here are the first pics I ever received while shopping with importing companies.
IMG00017.jpg

1.jpg

9.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

First thing I did was put my summer rims from my '91 GTS on the RC and OZ's on the GTS. This was to be a temporary solution as I was planning to paint the OZ's a dark grey. Unfortunately I curbed 2 of them and sold the remaining 2 :cry:
eadc2684.jpg
eae1989f.jpg

Next thing I did was repaint the grill mesh. Didn't do much for quite a while after, except for a home made MBC. And took a hell of a lot of pics.
IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

Took a trip to vancouver to attend Driven to Perform. Theres an entire album of these pics.
IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

Briefly met up with schweizerceli in alberta in a random road trip this summer.
IMG_4236.jpg

My roommate finally gets his Sileighty conversion with full SR20 swap completed and thus calls for some pics of JDM hotness.
IMG_4438.jpg

IMG_4467.jpg

Heres a link to my photobucket folder for my RC. You should be able to find all the subfolders of my car's pics in here as well.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z256/gt4rc/My Cars/GT4RC/

GT4RC

Okay, time for the mods.

Made myself an MBC!
Cost me 12 bucks to make 2 of them, following the directions here:
http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/FAQs/mbc.html
At this stage of the game the car was still very sluggish, and couldn't boost more than 11psi with the MBC pinned....
img206ss0.jpg
img207qu2.jpg

Next came the downpipe.
Bought a KO 2.5" DP and was down to the last bolt to remove the 16 year old obstruction and stripped the left cat support bracket bolt. Got pissed off and put it back together for a shop to deal with. During this process I discovered a full 2.5" mandrel bent catless exhaust from the downpipe back!

THIS MADE A HUGE IMPROVEMENT. First suggestion I can have for anyone buying an older car is do something about that old-ass cat. First run with the DP installed was frightening as the boost spiked to nearly double anything I had previously experienced. pulled over right away and turned the boost right down and tweaked it over a few days back up to 13-14 psi.

Synapse Engineering Synchronic BOV
Cost me roughly 250 bucks shipped, and appears to be a quality unit. I chose this over the SSQV for a few reasons:
-Lack of diaphraghm is appealing
-Proposed future support for electronic overboost control.
-While in a recirculated setup, runs with the valve open under vacuum, then closes when pressure is present. This supposedly improves throttle response because it allows air to bypass the turbo. I have yet to recirculate it so we will see I guess.

Just so you know the fitting they send you works perfectly if you sleeve a 1" piece of stainless inside it and have it welded. Otherwise you have to piss around with an HKS style fitting and then a perrin style t-hose adapter.
IMG00240.jpg

IMG00239.jpg

Heres pics of it all assembled and after the fitting was welded.
IMG0041.jpg

IMG0040.jpg

Pics of it installed:
IMG_4978.jpg

IMG_4980.jpg

IMG_4981.jpg

It is VERY responsive at low boost, to the point where if I am reversing in a parking lot and don't keep the engine revved it will stall. I do not suggest running it vented to atmosphere. I have yet to adjust the preload on it to see if it helps with stalling, but in the meantime I can just deal with it, it's not that bad.

EDIT: Video added

Mods to come
Colder plugs and thermostat
Straight intake with recirculated BOV.
Twin disc clutch in the new year.(needs a throwout bearing and could use a better clutch anyways.)
Brake upgrade. (would prefer a st205 setup once an installation solution has been found.)
Water Injection

This car probably won't see more than bolt on's in it's life.

GT4RC

Last but not least:

Last week I discovered my car had been hit and run.... mother FUCK. :shoots:
IMG_4985.jpg

Well I guess that's why I pay for all the goods when it comes to insurance. $300 deductible and no fault to me. Getting 3 days in the bodyshop on dec 12th. Hopefully able to swing a nice rental during that time....

Good news is I'll get my black bordered RC side decals out of it, and free touchups with the leftover paint from the job to all the shipping damage.

Best news out of it all is it's just under declarable damage: $874

GT4RC

smog7":6we6n2gx said:
beautiful looking car! that bov is huge, first of that kind that I have seen. where did you get your samco t-hose from?

***found a video of the bov:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffj01k64 ... om/forums/
sounds good
Yeah, it turned out to be a little larger than anticipated, but fits. barely :p

Picked up the T-hose from a board member here in BC for 50 bucks shipped IIRC

I'm uploading videos clips now for you guys, and will be linking them in the mods post.

Corey

Nice Car Glen, ouch about the hit and run, especially on that section of the car :doh:

I love that vancouver backdrop picture. :)

That BOV is massive lol!

GT4RC

Corey Darling":1oa2xcne said:
Nice Car Glen, ouch about the hit and run, especially on that section of the car :doh:

I love that vancouver backdrop picture. :)

That BOV is massive lol!

Yeah, I was a little choked about the damage myself. Oh well.

It couldn't have been a better day for that picture. I kinda went crazy with the pics though. took a ton of em if you happened to look in the album.

It's a LOT bigger than I had thought for sure...

GT4RC

Meurz":1t7jd71c said:
Video doesn't work? :shrug:

OMG, that bov! :D
Heh, my bad.

I edited the 4 videos into 1 in photobucket, so i figured I could just delete the original 4 clips. wrong. I'll put em back up tonight.

**EDIT**
Video is back up: Click me

GT4RC

So I have a set of photos to upload..... the final set...

14318_IMG_0319.jpg

14311_IMG_0312.jpg

14309_IMG_0310.jpg

14304_IMG_0305.jpg
\
14303_IMG_0304.jpg

And for the second set.....

At 10:00am wednesday morning I was struck by an '85 F-150 while making a left turn.

14463_IMG_0475.jpg

14462_IMG_0474.jpg

14308_IMG_0473.jpg

At 8:58am on saturday, I was informed it was a total loss. :cry:
At least I'm here to tell about it. I was uninjured.

toayoztan

Holy mother of God!

That really sucks man. Declared a total loss, but are you buying it back from the insurance?

It may sound far fetched, but could you replace the door and have a new rear quarter panel welded in?

Bryan

syko says

oh man that really is hard to look at! when i read "and for the second set" I thought i was going to see a lot more beautiful pictures. It is the least beautiful I have seen thus far for your car. :cry: That hurts just looking at the damage.

YerRandO

That pained me to see after scrolling through those nice pics down on granville island. Let us know what happens, hopefully ICBC doesn't scew you around.

Sal

:cry: oh man that really sucks

what are you going to do now? Your GT4 was one of my favorties :doh:

if your parting it out i'd be very interested.
cant believe it man!

Corey

NOOO! :cry:

Show ICBC the ads for all those crap RC's up at Tyee. They are running for + 10 grand a pop now - with bent frames, modded and torn interiors, and heavily modified motors.

I'm sure you could convince ICBC to pay you at least that much for such a clean car.

Plan to get another one? Im sure craig would give you a deal as your a repeat customer.

GT4RC

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm kind of at a super low point right now...

I'm not so sure on what will become of the car, as they have yet to make an offer for it. I am trying everything within my power to buy it back, as I will most likely be buying another RC. If they will not let me buy it back, I'll be usre to make them pay me out on the upgrades, and will leave me open to new things.... MkIV supra is looking pretty nice right now, and I'm seeing 6th gen celicas popping up on the grid with the import companies...

Corey Darling":1txn4n5a said:
NOOO! :cry:
I'm sure you could convince ICBC to pay you at least that much for such a clean car.

I'm actually all over that, with craigslist ads and rc's sold on the board. The problem with tyee is all their previously sold cars drop their listed price after the car is sold, so I can't reference them. Otherwise they would be a perfect example.

So here is where I ask if any of you can help. If you come across ANY RC's for sale PLEASE PM me with the link/info. Don't post it in here for various reasons.