Best method of launching?

A

Anonymous

Hey guys, I am curious as to how to launch my ST185. I have tried dropping the clutch between 3000 RPM to 5000 RPM and the engine always bogs. My buddy says not to drop the clutch at too high an RPM cause I could end up breaking something, and to take it easy and just do a torque launch. Any ideas? I'm pretty much running a stock ST185. No engine mods on it. Just some Tein coilovers and such.

Felix

I don't really have any advise on how to launch, but I refuse to launch hard on the AT, only because I don't want to replace the clutch. If you have a clutch made for high hp, then go ahead and launch:)

InitialD93

i have dumped the clutch at revlimiter before with still no wheel spin... still bogs a bit but thats at the race track... never dumped it on the street

pog0

Weird, Guest posting is still enabled?

My opinion a good launch is slipping the clutch at around 5500. If you dont understand what I mean by slipping the clutch, it's basically not letting the clutch out all the way and having the gas all the way down until the clutch fully grabs and let go. Kinda hard to explain... HTH.

SuperWhite92

Well, On my stock clutch before my motor swap, I was able to pull 2.1 60's by slipping from 6k RPM. I found that that was the best way to do things. If you do it just right, you won't even smell the clutch.

On my new SPEC St.2 Clutch, I've got a date on september 6th to see what kind of 60's we can pull using different techniques. Not to mention a contest to see if I can beat the fastest member of the "Speedstars," a local group of pretty much stock EVO VIII's that think they are pretty hot. Fastest guy shows a 14.6 on his timeslip here at 5800 feet.

Anyways, I'll let you know how it turns out.

SLC Punk

92AllTracTurbo":361b9lwb said:
My opinion a good launch is slipping the clutch at around 5500.
That's what I found the best launching technique for a stock clutch is from racing last year. But you get a nice smell of burnt clutch afterwards! :evil:

I upgraded to a stage II clutch when I had my engine out and haven't had a chance to play with hard launches yet.

Sifu

SuperWhite92":of2jiqme said:
On my new SPEC St.2 Clutch, I've got a date on september 6th to see what kind of 60's we can pull using different techniques. Not to mention a contest to see if I can beat the fastest member of the "Speedstars," a local group of pretty much stock EVO VIII's that think they are pretty hot. Fastest guy shows a 14.6 on his timeslip here at 5800 feet.

Anyways, I'll let you know how it turns out.

LOL! The Speedstars? No offense, even for having a couple of Evo's they could have been a lil' more original in their team name.

BEWARE OF THEIR FABLED MISFIRE SYSTEM!!!
:twisted:

Oh and I forgot! Make sure to take their sticker when you beat them!

Plex

Actually, the Speedstars weren't the ones with EVO's in Initial D. It was the Emperors... just an FYI lol

SuperWhite92

You're telling me. Sorry if it seems i'm stealing the thread, I'm not trying to. This will be my last post...

Not only is the name unoriginal, but they also have the speedstar red and speedstar blue. Blue is the fast ones, and Red is the show ones. Oooooh... scary.... :roll:
Anyways, the most extensive modded car has nothing special aside of an exhaust, a boost hike, and fake carbon splitters on the front bumper.

And it's not like I'm the only one that wants to beat them. Our newfound local R32 driver took out the fastest one one night up at bandimere. by nearly 2 seconds, too.... Embarassing :oops:

Anyways....

how do you guys know the future of Initial D? Do the japanese DVD's come with english audio? I've been buying the Tokyopop ones because of how bored I am, but so far, they've only gotten to the blue Sileighty. Next DVD comes out in september. I know there are at least 20, right? But I thought they were Japanese-only text....

Okay, resume thread......

Griffin

I bought all of them like a year ago subbed out of Hong Kong. If you are in So Cal I can hook you up with a great little shop that sells tons of subtitled imports.

Season 4 is still coming out in Japan and is available for download on bit torrent.

furpo

i go from the rev limiter and just let the clutch go. it does not bog but we do have shit tracks over here. it will usually start to smoke the tires.

roger

A

Anonymous

Okay- Update. Ran the car on the new clutch---can't drop it. Always slip it from 6000rpm. Feels really good. Still in the 2.1 right now with the leaky IC. When i drop it with the SPEC though, I spin the front wheels for a half second, then the rears kick, and it bogs. In order to drop it, more power is the key.

Zomb

furpo":1kknl0gg said:
i go from the rev limiter and just let the clutch go. it does not bog but we do have shit tracks over here. it will usually start to smoke the tires.

roger

yea...Meremere isnt the best dragstrip. (if thats the track you are talking about)I have still managed 1.8 sec 60ft with full interior dropping clutch at about 5000rpm

A

Anonymous

yes meremere. even masterton can be quite bad with all the white lines

roger

Incubusrocks84

When i first got my alltrac i took it to the track with a full tank of gas :x ... i9 wasn't thinking.... i have a fresh stock clutch on it and i feathered the clutch at like 5500-6000 and i was able to pull a 1.8 twice, nothing less than 2 on the 60ft's

i guess it's all in timming. and keep the turbo spoolin! goodluck.

Cheers!

yettegog

i have trouble launching in my car..part of it is that i'm getting used to the spec. st.2 and it's EXTREMELY LOW engage point...but if I try to slip it in from a high rpm i just bog and then get a nice smell of clutch for about 15 seconds. :cry:

Anyone know right off what i might be doing wrong? :shrug:

SuperWhite92

My guess is that you're trying to slip it too fast, or at least zooming past the catch point. Try a little slower, that Spec will handle it. In fact, once you get it right, you'll know it, your suspension will be lurching so bad you'll be looking into the sky, and you won't be able to breathe for a half second.

sleeper

Hold the car at 4k for 3-4 sec so that you bild up boost before you rev it to 6.5k and let the clutch out!

if you just rev it up whitout bilding boost it`ll will bog!