Is it just me....

smog7

or is just difficult to properly heel toe in a st185? Im 6'1, 10.5" shoe and I find it hard as hell to roll my heel onto the gas.

WarTowels

I think it's about foot size, not height? I can do it better in some shoes that others. The bigger the foot, to an extent, the easier it would be I would think.

-Towels

turbo4wd

I'm 5'10" with a 10.5 shoe as well and I found the main reason its harder to heel & toe in my 185 compared to a 350z is because of ergonomics.. The 185's shifter is farther away from me which forces me to have a closer seating position which in turn bends my legs enough to make the heel & toe motion awkward.

But thats just me..

I may get around to modifying my shifter so its closer to me by a couple of inches..

RafaCalde

i think its a combination of the position of the gas pedal, steering wheel, and the person. me, i'm just not flexible enough to do it. for some reason my leg doesn't like to turn that way.

klue

you could just change the pedals?!
I got some RAZO pedals wich have some extra metal on the accel pedal, makes HnT easy. But then again size 13 helps to

syko says

Im 5'8" size 9.5 and ahve no problems. :shrug: At first it was sort of awdward, but I really got used to it. Unless Im doing it differently than everyone else haha in which case its working perfectly for me :smokes: .

gt4tified

You LHD guys are so lucky that you have the room to Heel& Toe shift. In the GT4, there is absolutely no room to the right side of the gas pedal. But with a wide foot/shoes, you can do it using not the heel but the middle underpart of your foot.

Mafix

i'm 6'4" with a 12" shoe and i heel toe just fine. every shift, every time. i think the pedal spacing is perfect.

WideFNopen

No problems in the 165 besides the brake pedal not being as firm as I am used to in my Z..............28

It seems that there are two different schools of thought out there when it comes to heel toe. THe first group actually uses their heel to blip the gas and their toe to to work the brake. The other way of "heel toeing" is to simply roll 1/2 of your toes over to the gas, which imo is the best way to drive a rally car due to the foot stability it offers and the eaiser trasition to a left foot brake situation and then back again.

$200GT-4

gt4tified":1sda2vlf said:
You LHD guys are so lucky that you have the room to Heel& Toe shift. In the GT4, there is absolutely no room to the right side of the gas pedal. But with a wide foot/shoes, you can do it using not the heel but the middle underpart of your foot.

My car came with an aftermarket gas pedal cover and I'm a 10 or 11 shoe size and I had no trouble HnT at the weekend's autocross. My Trueno's the same way, no room to the right. Then again, I don't drive LHD so I may have created style unique to the constraints of the RHD.

ion_four

I made a set of pedal covers for my civic and they kicked enough ass that I took them off when I sold the car, and will eventually put them on the alltrac, though I might make some a little more precisely...

They're copies of the MUGEN pedals on the top of this page (these are the real ones)

http://www.inlinefour.com/mugalracped.html

At the time, I did not have $200, and even if I did I would never spend it on pedal covers. So, for about $20, I got a sheet of 1/4" aluminum from Home Depot, and some 3M anti-slip "tape", such as what you put on outdoor stairs. (I used the tape to replicate the rough texture on the brake and clutch pedals. It lasted more than four years, before removing the pedals from the car.) I just went to town with the jig saw and a drill (to make the neat-o countersunk holes on the gas pedal!!!) The trick in the end is to bend them a bit, so they're curved and will fit the stock pedals. I used a rubber mallet and bent them over a coffee can :)

The ease of heel-toe down-shifting was GREATLY increased and they looked pretty righteous. The only bad part was the brake and clutch pedals were not identical as I did it all free-hand. Oh well!

Hotrodhendrix

6 foot something and size 13 shoe. Easy for me but my foot is so big it nearly doesnt fit in the 3kgt. I have to tilt it to the side so I can fit it between the brake pedal and the side wall. :p

Balagast

I'm 6' 3", size 11.5 shoe ... heel toeing has never really been an issue. Although I learned to do it in my car for the first time.

The all trac is definitely a world better than the GT ... that thing is impossible to heel toe.