My ST185 Build

tissimo

Its time to start my own project thread...

We'll start from the beginning.. I bought the car May 3rd of 2008 with 99k miles on it in NJ. Here are a few pictures of the car when I first got it

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Mods - XS Power twin tip, midpipe, and downpipe, HKS FCD, Slotted rotors, and stainless steel brake lines.

After I got the car home after a few weeks I installed my AVC-R boost controller on to the car and dynoed the car the fallowing saturday.

DSC_0096.jpg

It was hot in the dyno room (95-100) and had a little trouble with the boost (didn't setup the avc-r right) but overall was pretty decent numbers.

Dynosheet.jpg

The red line is stock boost (8-9 psi).
Green line was supposed to be 1bar but it only boosted ~ .85 (~12 psi)
Blue line I tried to just get it to hold 1bar on the top end setting the duty up, but failed. It spiked 1.18 bar (~17 psi) and fell to ~.85 bar (12 psi)

Now for my Goals and my build plans.
I am coming from the supra world and previously owned a 400whp 2jz swapped mkiii supra, so have a need for some bigger hp numbers. But also with the car want to get into some road racing so need a fairly wide powerband.

My power goals for the car are ~400whp on pump gas 450-500 whp on pump gas and methanol, and 550+ on c16. I would like the car to run 11s on the street setup (pump and meth) and be capable of a 10s pass on c16. I also want the car to handle well and have some fun around a race track though, so will be doing suspension and bigger brakes.

My build plans so far consist of:
GT35R turbo
Custom equal length tubular manifold
Tial 44 wastegate
Tial bov
Front mount setup w/ RC bumper
1000-1600cc injectors (havn't decided, probably 1000s first then 1600s when i go dual fuel pumps)
Top feed rail, -10 fuel line, aeromotive fpr
Some strong clutch (probably single plate at first then eventually a twin carbon)
Side feet sheet metal intake (custom or ATS)
HKS 264 or 272 cams, shimless buckets, upgraded valve springs,etc
2.2 Stroker (higher compression, ~9.0)
AEM EMS
Tein coilovers
Some wheels (17x9s maybe 18s, 245-255 tires)
Sway bars
eventually some big brakes (13" front rotors 1.25" thick, 4 piston)

Thats a rough list, and I'm sure itll change over time.

tissimo

My first main mod that I was going to do to the car is AEM EMS, so I order that through a buddy of mine and should be here in a few weeks, but my buddy also found a deal on a GT35r turbo so I picked that up as well..

Gt35R .82 rear housing
DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

I wasn't planning on starting on the turbo kit for at least a few months but I might push that up some. I was going to run the stock turbo till it died, but I dont think its going to perform as I expected it was going to so might change up my plans. I was planning on run aem with methanol injection and running 18-20 psi with it, but I'm having trouble getting the turbo to hold above 14 psi on the top end now. I'll try a few tricks from the supra world to try to get a few more pounds, but I dont think I'll be able to get the 240whp goal on the stock turbo tat I was hoping with that little of boost.

We'll see how it all plays out.

tissimo

finally installed the aem.. Man I've forgot how much fun it is to play with it..

So far on my first laptop charge (only about an hour and a 1/2 :( )

setup everything (timing etc).

I had some sway at the top end, but cleared it up pretty good, it used to retard 4-5* at the rev limiter.. now its down to ~ 1.. figured its good enough and I'll just add in the map later.. Not sure how much Delay pickup comp i can put in before it starts problems.

But runs and drives around town with a decent tune now (15-16 a/f... target is 15.5) idles perfect and what not.. higher rpm is still iffy, lean in spots, ok in others.. dont like cruising at 50mph in 2nd gear to much, ahahah so havn't spend too much time..

One big thing i noticed is it syncs a hell of a lot faster then my old 2jz aem.. my 2jz ems took ~ 1 second before it synced then another .5 to start.. this one is dont within .5 seconds and started within 1 second (tad slower then stock).

tissimo

pit_celica":q68sbedn said:
would you post your ignition timing map please? I would like to see it!

Thanks

Sam
This is my base timing map, I havn't tested/logged boost yet so not sure if its too much or not.

basetimingmap.jpg

once I get a partial tune I'll post the modified map

good, thanks a lot. For me, it seems a little high, so use it with caution.

I'm waiting your partial tuned map!

Keep us up to date!

tissimo

pit_celica":1wtqs879 said:
good, thanks a lot. For me, it seems a little high, so use it with caution.

I'm waiting your partial tuned map!

Keep us up to date!
ahh, thanks, I wasn't sure.. I've looked at a few maps, and was low on some and high on the others.

I was planning to pull 4* in boost and seting up the knock map then advancing from there.

tissimo

well.. I bought an hour of dyno time got her tuned-ish, Haha. The temps were hot as hell @ like 105*F in the bay, and the car was running hotter then normal as well. The coolant temps were ~ 200, and would run to like 210-215 at the end of the runs. At least it gave me harsh conditions to tune under so should be even better at the normal 180-190 temps it runs on the street. My car also must be dyno shy, it would only peak 15 psi and fell to 10 psi at every run no matter what I did. On the street it would hit 17 psi, maybe it had to do with the air temps..

So heres the results. I'm getting the run files sent to me then will post the graphs. I'll snap a pic of 2 runs I got printed (a 12 psi and a 15 psi).

On stock boost, hit 6 psi and creeped to 8 psi and made 176hp/16x ftlbs (dont remember exact #), vs the stock ecu dyno of 166/167
At 12 psi (falling to 10) I got 201/211 vs the stock ecus 181/187... 20whp and 23 ftlbs
At 15 psi (falling to 10 again) i gained a little over the 12 psi run with 212/230. 15hp peak gain over the stock ecu but the same torque (actually lost 3).

Oh, and my timing curve... its a bell curve... really. I dont know why, lol. I started with very low timing (hell its only running like 15* at 10 psi so its low all ready) and added 2* each pull, well it made a difference in the mid range but the top end stayed the same. I ended up adding like 5-6* in the midrange but left the timing the same at the top end. So at like 4k its 14* 5500 its 16* then falls to 10* by 7000.. :shrug:

Dynorun8-15-08.jpg

12psilog.jpg

See 2nd plot, the Bell curve on the timing in purple

tissimo

Also I thought tvis wouldn't make a difference so had it turn off at 3k rpms, well I did see a torque drop off on all my early dyno runs from it. I raised it to 3900rpms and it became a fairly smooth transistion. When I raised it more then that, there would be a big dip in the torque.. I will post the pics when I get the run files showing the difference..

really good info there! Really nice numbers too! Please post your actual timing to compare with the base one. This will be a must to see for them who are planning running the base map without tuning it. BTW, what octane gas are you using?

Very good read!

Thanks

Sam

tissimo

I got a good deal on a ST205 IC ($120 shipped), so figured I'd run a a2w setup on my black 92 instead of the stock garbage a2a. But after thinking about it I'm going to temporarily install it on my Red 90 with the 20g turbo kit so at least I can boost around while I'm waiting to get the RC bumper and FMIC setup. After I Get that the st205 will go onto the black car.

I also got a Cobra HE from a buddy for 50, so now all I need is the Cobra water pumper (~120) and should be ready to go. I probably wont install it until I do the turbo kit (soon as I'm going to do the clutch very shortly).

Heres a pic of the goods.
DSC_0069.jpg

ST185pinjo

That is a steal man, good job.

Any ideas on how to mount the ST205 IC?

I got one myself today with a ST205 TBrubber, but that won't fit my gen 2 TB.