HKS 272 or 264?

camry90

since i couldn't get my 256, i was woundering if 272 would be an overkill for my 300whp(as close as possible) power goal on 94 pump with a GT28rs with a .86 trim?

$200GT-4

I dunno, how high does that thing spool? How high until the exhaust housing chokes it out? You should determine what kinda power you want to make (check), decide what turbo will do it (check?), then buy only as much cam as you need to make sufficient use of it. I.E. if your turbo doesn't spool until 5k 272's would be the obvious choice as they'd rev a bit higher. But if that thing's about as snappy as s stocker 264's would likely be a better bet.

magnum

Have you thought about maybe using GSC camshafts like the S1's
Specs for GenII heads:

S1 -- Good for 300-450whp
Intake: 268 Duration 9.7mm Peak lift
Exhaust: 268 Duration 9.7mm Peak lift

Gen 2:
S1

268 9.7mm 225 @ 1 MM CL of 110

268 9.7mm 225 @ 1 MM CL of 112

I have a set coming to me that I may not be able to use.

Mafix

i would go with the smaller. that turbo isn't that big and 300 isn't too hard to do. plus the car will idle with the smaller cams much better than the 272s

camry90

etantshi":2robpk7m said:
Toda makes 256 cams. Gen III 3sge intake cams are 252, I have yet to confirm if they fit or not though.
i know but i have to wait 4-8 weeks :cry:

i might buy the 272 that's for sale on the board... cuz it's cheaper. i might check out the new cams, they have very high lift! i like

Meurz

camry90":31m4zlky said:
i might buy the 272 that's for sale on the board... cuz it's cheaper.
And ending up with an engine you may not like? Strange reason if you ask me! :|

deecee

did you even bother to read the cam test?

you have already said that you have XX dollars put into this project, so why buy something because its cheaper and convenient? Wouldn't you rather shop around and spend a tad more and get something that is better overall?

tbh, do a 20 thou overboard, run some new pistons, get new big bearings, shot peen the standard 3sgte rods and crank, do some head and manifold work, get new exhaust manifold made up, run a 3" dump no cat to 3" exhaust, run 264s with adjsutable crank pulleys, get new water pump, rebuild oil pump, install decent clutch and install new LW flywheel, balance up the whole lot, run a t06, run 800cc injectors, run an aftermarket ecu and you've got your power with driveability to go with it :)

Your goals aren't that great! No need for stroker, no need to have a hard car to drive around, no need to waste money just because it would be cool

while the engine is out, clean and detail everything as it comes off, brackets, pulleys etc. Clean up your engine bay with some simple green.

no need to send to the chromers, just a wire brush, then some sanding and buffing on a bench grinder with a polishing wheel on it will bring everything up spanky. Cover in a clear poly plastic coating and you're good to go :)

use some nice silicon hoses and/or braided hoses and colour coordinate and you're done. The braided hoses don't even have to be expensive ones, unless you are going to be running high high power!

Then you really deserve to be in your magazine with a clean car and engine bay, putting down power to the ground the intelligent way without overspending and blowing budgets :)

deecee

oh, and don't forget to get ceramic coating on your manifolds, dumppipes and a coating on the underside of the W2A intercooler if you plan to use it..

camry90

thanks guys for your inputs. i'll have to digest all the things you say. i always wanted to build up a car of my own but this time i bite off more than i can chew in a short period of time with vendors far from me... i'll have to take a break and think this through again :cry:

$200GT-4

Seriously, 256's is as big as you need. The turbo is gonna be the one making the power, not the cams. The cams just give your engine an operating range that meshes well with where the turbo spools and where it starts choking out.

timmey

I hear the st205 (Gen3 3sgte) cams will fit our Gen2 motors. Does anyone have the degree and lift specs on those, and if they do fit?

If I remember correctly, the lift is nearly 9mm, nearing the 256-264 range.

Hopefully someone actually knows what they are talking about. :)

I am considering that as a much cheaper option, although I plan to be doing 400 at the wheel..so maybe it's not enough :shrug: .

Timmey

compy591

Smaay":13rz5w3m said:
i have staggard cams, 272 intake and 264 exhaust. better for spool and support the high RPMs
I have always heard when staggering cams to make the exhaust, not the intake cam the bigger one?

I would say don't go with the 272's, they're a bit big for your setup. Either the 264s or the 256s would mesh better with your turbo.

timmey

compy591":1abwt4ve said:
Smaay":1abwt4ve said:
i have staggard cams, 272 intake and 264 exhaust. better for spool and support the high RPMs
I have always heard when staggering cams to make the exhaust, not the intake cam the bigger one?

I would say don't go with the 272's, they're a bit big for your setup. Either the 264s or the 256s would mesh better with your turbo.

I've seen 272 intake, 264 exhaust on many setups on MR2oc, and a few on here. It kind of confused me at first, but apparently works really well. You'd think you would want more exhaust to spool the turbo, but you need all that boost to come into the head right? I understand it kind of but can't explain. Maybe someone more awake can chime in.

Anyone know the measurements of the Gen 3 cams? Wouldn't they be close to 256 cams, but like 1/2 as expensive?

Timmey

timmey

I asked the Gen3 question in another thread, and it's no where near the 256-264s. But now I know.

Those staggered setups are pretty cool. How do those idle compared to just 264s? The dynos charts for them there do make them tempting as I am looking for quick spool.

Anyone tried 264/256 and what range would that be for mostly?

Cheers,

Timmey

ST185pinjo

I've seen 272 intake, 264 exhaust on many setups on MR2oc, and a few on here. It kind of confused me at first, but apparently works really well. You'd think you would want more exhaust to spool the turbo, but you need all that boost to come into the head right? I understand it kind of but can't explain. Maybe someone more awake can chime in.

Anyone know the measurements of the Gen 3 cams? Wouldn't they be close to 256 cams, but like 1/2 as expensive?

Timmey

I thought of it like this. If you get a staggered setup for quicker spool.

Bigger intakecam to get as much filling of the cilinders as possible. Might go with 1 [mm] oversized valves on the intake.

Than you get the bang.

All the exhaust gas gets squeezed through the smaller exhaust cam and valves for the extra speed of the gas. The speeding gas hits the turbo exducer hard, and thus faster spool.

correct me if I'm wrong.

timmey

ST185pinjo":5o8ydubw said:
Bigger intakecam to get as much filling of the cilinders as possible. Might go with 1 [mm] oversized valves on the intake.

Than you get the bang.

All the exhaust gas gets squeezed through the smaller exhaust cam and valves for the extra speed of the gas. The speeding gas hits the turbo exducer hard, and thus faster spool.

correct me if I'm wrong.

That theory checks out in my head. Sounds right to me.

Thanks!

Timmey