Cap/Rotor problem?

A

Anonymous

I guess I'll be the first. I like the way this layout is more "friendly to the eye"

We just got the AT back from the shop, and noticed that it idles very rough (800rpm-1200rpm) and stutters. I thought it was the plugs, so I put the old ones back on and no difference. My dad pointed out that I should replace the cap/rotor and it would help it. I have also noticed that the gas mileage is horrible...1/4 tank=60 miles? I just wanted to know your opinions on the cap and rotor improving the idle and giving better gas mileage. Basically he said that the oxidization is causing misfire, thus causing inefficient combustion, and most likely wasted fuel in any cylinder also causing it to run very rich.

alltrac.net

Take off your cap and inspect it. The points do tend to get oxidized very easily on our cars. It is a cheap part to replace.

Also, if you are having bad gas mileage, inspect your o2 sensor.

Shaggz00

I had that problem with my old 162, and what it ended up being was the plug wires. The boot to the number 2 cylinder was kinda mushed in there incorrectly, and that allowed moisture to get in. Just an Idea.

Felix

The car was at Toyota because the gaskets and the hoses to/from the fuel pump was rotten and was spraying fuel everytime you accelerated. My dad and I didn't want to deal with the danger of removing the gas tank. We also bought a Walbro fuel pump to replace the stock one. (Not performance, oem standard)

Anyways, the wires look in great shape, but I will check them on Tuesday when I have to remove the intercooler/airbox/etc to get to the cap/rotor.

At that time I'm going to get NGK copper plugs and see how I like those.

I'm also replacing the rear diff/clutch/radiator/transmission fluids using the manual's reccomendations...if you like a certain fluid, etc, any opinions/reccomendations are welcome:)

Gary

Many people swear by Redline transmission/diff fluid.
And I've heard lot of good things about Motul engine oil.

motuloil.jpg

Felix

thanks for the redline info...also checked on mr2oc (i own an mr2) and they said the same...

as for the motul oil, also heard great stuff...but it's my g/f's car...it's not gonna be used hard or scraping for every hp, i went ahead and put mobil 1 super synthetic...should be great for the normal cruising and performance.

mototebok

I also like GM Syncromesh transmission fluid alot. Not full synth, but man does it make everything shift alot smoother. :)