Can I win this Race??

So check this out guys. A colleague of mine just purchased and 88 FC RX-7. It's Normally aspirated and it's a convertible. He want's to run my 'Trac which is completely stock except for the short throw shifter. Now he says his car ways 3012 pounds and I know my car weighs roughly 3200 pounds which puts me at a slight weight disadvantage. His car produces 147 horsepower from the factory. Now typically I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried and I'd simply rip whatever car was challenging me with these kind of stats ... but we're talkin bout rotary now. I've been told by two people (One person being my dad whose opinion I greatly respect) that rotaries consistently perform out of their class and outperform alot of cars with more horspower. Of course he doesn't want to do it from a dig because I'd murder him off the line. He's a little hesitant about doing it from a 20 or 30 mph roll because of his lack of torque but he's willing to do that. He claims the car pulls super strong on the highway from 60 to 100 and a little beyond. So basically I'm a little concerned since I've never raced one and I need your guys opinion. Can my stock 'Trac beat this car??

wizzards581

u should take him no prob... stock for stock... the rx7 NA arent that quick though. but all depends on conditions of each others car and who miss shift first... :D

toayoztan

I've raced one stock. Pulling out of a walmart with my gf in my alltrac, i happened to pull up next to one (which was my friend). We gave it a punch for fun at about 40mph.

You'll have no problems if it's about stock for stock.

Bryan

gpmarzan

my buddy had an 87 rx7 that I raced last yr. A few days before we took our cars for a run, I took a ride with him in it. The car felt pretty quick as a passenger and that thing was soo rev friendly. I figured it should be as fast or quicker than my alltrac. I think he had a full exhaust sys installed.

The night we ran, right from the onramp I pulled on him. I think I was boosting at around 11-12psi with a stock ct26. We did a high speed pull, I think I was either in 4th or 5th, but all i remember now is he had to downshift to a lower gear and even then I was still pulling on him. It was a good night for power comparison.

Well Folks guess who backed outta the race lol. He said quote "The car is not as fast as I would have hoped, the motor gives you as sense of going much faster lol." That sucks. I really wanted to run that car :(

whats he afraid of? losing? its not like its life or death. its about fun! i ran the 1/4 in the black trac against my buddy in his duramax with the allison and a full turbo back exhaust and tuning computer-i knew i had no chance in the long run but i pulled away at first then got my ass handed to me, but i still had fun, i love the sound of those td trucks man... fast as all hell too!

Well boy oh boy do I have a update for you guys lol. Three races in one night! lol. Turns out I ended up running my friends RX-7 (And I'm buying it now also lo) and I muuuuurrdered it lol. We did on from a dig and I just launched the hell outta the car and just left him by about 6 cars. Then we did a roll and he did a little better but his bushings are messed (Non existent actually) but I still ripped him. Then I raced his dumb ass friend in an 04 mustang who drives like an absolute maniac! We did it from a dig and I totally shocked him and ripped off the line. This is the V6 mustang by the way with 190 hp so it was a nice match up. But after launches and roll starts I would still start pulling from him at around 50 mph. So that was two races under my belt. But the highlight of the night was my race with a 95 GSR (Or at least I thought it was). We were led to believe that it was a GSR with Headers and Intake and Exhaust and that's it. So I decided to run him. So we get on the freeway and we commence to doing 2nd and 3rd gear pulls. Even though I'm grinding 3rd gear I still did pretty well. I would pull on him really strong when his wasn't on but as soon as it kicked he would creep on me pretty well. Come to find out later it was actually a Type R engine with all that work. Effectively putting him at a little over 200hp. So the fact that I was even able to pull on him at all in a car that weighs rougly 900 pounds more without me in it was awesome! Toyota's rule!

Lance

gt4tified

What I think it weighs is irrelevant to your purchase....I just refuse to believe that such a car is that heavy. And for a n/a engine it means that the chassis is what the heavy part of that car is, and it is on this that I am hard-pressed to believe. But hey, surprise me when you buy it okay? :wink: