92 GT 2.0 swap?

kcitybrother

Hello everyone,

Now i bought my 92 gt hatch knowing that it had a engine swap in it b/c we already had and still have a 91 st coupe with a 2.2. Now this engine that was in the gt says, and the owner told me the same thing, that it was a 2.0 engine. Since the buy in February its been a great car and has been up to speed with my st all the way even though the st has 70k more than the gt. Now my question is, what is the probability that the 2.0 was out of an alltrac but wasn't turbo'd and has a different intake in the car. Because the car has a cone intake on it, which is not stock of course.

Picture1085.jpg

There is a picture of the engine bay. If anyone could help me with this, its just bugging the hell out of me, that would be great

Kcity :D

Rpz123isme

it was out of an 89 gt.....or a rav four..........the motor code is 3sfe. It is has the exact same heads as the 5sfe(2.2) just a diffrent bore and stroke............the end result was

5sfe (2.2) 135hp
3sfe (2.0) 135hp depending on year

the only down side is it has less torque. when I did my first swapp from a 5sfe to a 3sfe I took that route because it was 500 dollars cheeper and everything external was 100% compatable. I did not notice a diffrence in torque but the 2.0 felt a little happier in the 5-6.5k range. the car felt a little faster with a tad bit better fuel consumption rate.

BTW that manifold is the stock one and the intake is just some tube with a filter. not to much diffrent than stock/ just louder b/c it has no muffler pocket 8)

kcitybrother

I had the same thoughts bout performance on the car, against my st coupe.

Now for some reason the intake makes a huge sucking sound from the filter. It probably is the loudest thing on the car right now. You can hear it over the fans when they kick in and the overall engine when it is on.

Would anyone know why/how I can fix this? everyone that sees my car thinks its the fans trying to keep my car from over heating until I prop the hood up and show them the vans are off, and that the noise is my intake

Carolina91GT-S

If the engine that makes the sucking sound is the one in your picture then the problem looks to be the resonator box is missing. It is hard to tell from the picture if it blocked off or not but if it is open then that is bad and your intake filter is being completely bypassed and all the air your engine needs is being pulled through that hole, not being filtered, and making that noise. To fix it you need to install the resonator box onto that small hole that faces the front of your engine or block it off.

Carolina91GT-S

By the way if your 91 ST coupe has a 2.2 in it then someone has swapped it as well, and that isn't a simple swap, the 4AFE and the 2.2L 5SE have engine mounts in different locations. All USDM 5th gen STs came from the factory with the 1.6L 4AFE engine.