Magnum's ST185 project

magnum

I started with a stock 90 GT-FOUR
Celi1.jpg

added Volk GT-N 17x8+31mm front 17x8+25mm rear wheels with 215/40R17 Falken Azenis RT-615 tires, HKS Silent hi-power exhaust and Tein SS coilovers.
Picture052.jpg

Picture056b.jpg

Next I decided to add some more power.
carparts005.jpg

Garrett GT-3271 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, K&N filter with bell mouth, and parts for me to build a custom twin scroll turbo manifold.

carparts003.jpg

Parts to build a custom surge tank intake manifold with a 70mm throttle body.
carparts008.jpg

Spearco intercooler with pipe for me to make a FMIC kit.
carparts001.jpg

Speed source TFFR, Aeromotive FPR and lines for the fuel rail, Walbro 255 fuel pump, 750cc RC injectors.
carparts011.jpg

TTE head gasket, ARP studs, ATS cam gears GSC S1 cams and Engle valve springs.
Campingtrip020.jpg

EXEDY Hyper Single Clutch
carparts010.jpg

Various parts from Speed source and a m300 wide band.
carparts007.jpg

Parts for me to build a down pipe and mid pipe.
I also bought a ViPec EMS but have not received it yet.
I will update as I complete each part of my build.

Meurz

Looking good man! I'm still not convinced to go Vi-Pec over Autronic, but I'd love to hear your findings.. Good luck with the project, seems you've planned a nice setup! 8)

magnum

Meurz":3vbzhn9g said:
Looking good man! I'm still not convinced to go Vi-Pec over Autronic, but I'd love to hear your findings.. Good luck with the project, seems you've planned a nice setup! 8)
Pick what you think is best for yourself.

syko says

I will very much so follow this thread all the way through and beyond! 8)

Also, have you begun building your intake and exhaust manifolds? I am very interested in both!

magnum

syko says":2qh1u0pb said:
I will very much so follow this thread all the way through and beyond! 8)

Also, have you begun building your intake and exhaust manifolds? I am very interested in both!
I have to get my garage wired so I can plug in my welder, hopefully I can get it done asap.

Fourplay

I like the wheels, do you know the weight? Car color is my favorite too, guess what color mine is :wink:

I'd recommend the RC front bar, will give you much more space work with.

Anticipating feedback on the vi-pec!

magnum

Fourplay":3ttx71y0 said:
I like the wheels, do you know the weight? Car color is my favorite too, guess what color mine is :wink:

I'd recommend the RC front bar, will give you much more space work with.

Anticipating feedback on the vi-pec!
They are 18LBS a piece. Believe it or not but I don't like the RC front bar. I like the stock one I have but would like a lip to improve the looks a bit.

tw2

Very nice collection of parts. Can you give any more info on the gt32? From what I can guess from reading up on it from garrett's site, it is only a mild upgrade and supports less than the gt30, t3/t4 etc. Is that right?

mx6er2587

magnum":1ho9vfn9 said:
Believe it or not but I don't like the RC front bar. I like the stock one I have but would like a lip to improve the looks a bit.

go with a round fog front. 10x better then the stock :D

syko says

tw2":3gem654d said:
Very nice collection of parts. Can you give any more info on the gt32? From what I can guess from reading up on it from garrett's site, it is only a mild upgrade and supports less than the gt30, t3/t4 etc. Is that right?

This is a link that magnum gave me a while back. It is an MR2 with a GT32 as well.

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=306348

I have one currently installed and I think it pulls quite a bit harder than stock (only by comparison with Nigel's car) in the upper end. There is a slight lag rather than somewhat 'instant' boost. It is signigicantly larger than a CT26, but nothing very large at all.

tw2

Good choice, looks like a very nice sized turbo for some stockish spool with a heap more on top.

magnum

tw2":2r5fyge0 said:
Good choice, looks like a very nice sized turbo for some stockish spool with a heap more on top.
Yes that is why I choose it. It fits in the gap between the GT28RS and the TD06-20G.

ST185pinjo

This looks nice.

I was also looking into a spearco intercooler.
What are the dimentions of this one?
Where did you get it?

Do you need to reshim after you fit those new Engle springs?

magnum

Spearco 2-247 3.5"x7.8"x20"core size. According to Spearco it's good for 510 hp. I bought it years ago off of eBay. I will be going shim less buckets because with the cam change I would need to shim anyways. I'm not sure if it would be needed with just engle's.

tw2

You shouldn't do with just springs since the valve position didn't change at all. But yeah with cams then you always should.

timmey

Interested in the twin-scroll and your GT32 that sounds like a match made in hell! Post up pics when you're done and good luck!

Timmey

magnum

A lot of my plans have changed. I'm now going to use a BorgWarner EFR 7064 twin-scroll with RacerX manifold. Here is the start of my custom intake manifold.
IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3573.jpg