3sGe to a 3sgte help!

MrMcQuacker

Hey guys im getting a 3sgte engine and i want to swap it into my 1986 celica gts. I need help or step by step help on what has to be done and etc. Can someone help me or point me the right direction? i was told the swap will be easy in a way because it just drops in like nothing perfect mounting points and etc. i just want to know what to do or what i should know about while doing it.

bitter

Celicatech.net should have write-ups on 3sgte swaps.

In this forum, the Celica's already have 3sgte engines.

Both engines uses the same engine mounts. You can use your orginal tranny and disc (or upgrade to mr2 and solara tranny, some have converted alltrac tranny to fwd. You'll need all the electricals from the 3sgte. Good luck.

streetrider

Aaaight, slow down turbo.
Here's where you should probably start:

1)Get the toyota manual for the 3sge already in your car, the electrical diagram manual, and the 3sgte manual

2)Learn how to search on the interweb... Not to be a dick, but everything you need to know is already documented.

3)Study your car and your manuals. you want to know what everything is and does, before yal just jump into a swap

4)Secure expendable income. Starting projects with out the money to back is depressing. Trust me I know from experiance.

5)Complete all that and ask specific questions as they arrise.

on your mark, get set, go!!!

MrMcQuacker

I'm mainly concerned with whether or not I can use the stock wiring harness with the jdm motor and ecu?

What are the differences between the jdm 3sgte harness and the usdm 3sge harness?

streetrider

Here's an overview of your wiring options. I don't recomend the 3sge wiring harness, technicaly it could be modified to work. But that is going to be a major pain in the ass. I'm assuming you live in usa and your car is lhd. Your easiest option is a usdm lhd 3sgte wiring harness. Also if you get a first gen 3sgte you want a first gen harness to keep things simple.
Another route is the jdm rhd wiring harness. The main diference between the jdm and usdm harness is which side of the fire wall the harness comes out of. So, you can either extend the jdm harness or make a new hole in the firewall and wire it jdm style. Your last, hardest, and best option is standalone ems with one off wiring. Not an easy task and not recomended for a project virgin. No matter what you do you will need the oem manuals and wiring diagrams to figure everything out.

Other things you should know...
You are pretty much on the wrong site concerning fwd 3sgte swaps. Almost everyone here is focused on awd cars with 3sgte's already.
Google is your friend. I always start my searches there and usualy find what I need. Look for non alltrac celica forums (not toyotanation) and use the search feature liberaly, I garantee you'll find multiple write ups. I could just give you links, but I'm an asshole and you need practice searching.