1990 Camry Alltrac

creech_r

I'm thinking about picking one up for decently cheap (~$900 with 130K miles on it) and was reading the driveline thread below. It got me thinking, I have a set of struts/drop springs from a narrow body ST185 sitting in my garage...would they work in the Camry? It already has TC rims, I think it'd look pretty good dropped and handle better with stiffer suspension.

creech_r

is that you just telling me that so I'll be less interested? or is that a serious "no they won't work on your alltrac."

phattyduck

They'll work just fine. You might have to work out something for the front brake lines and use the little ST165 to ST185 strut adapter washers, but that's it.

The Alltrac Camry is about 100lbs lighter than the ST185 and about the same weight as an ST165.

-Charlie

creech_r

Thanks! I will hopefully pick it up this weekend! Now, I think these are either 1" or .75" drop springs...that shouldn't cause an issue with the TC tires if I keep a low enough profile tire right? and I'm throwing stock sized steelies for snow tires so they should be fine. Also, I've never switched out suspension, it should be pretty straight forward since the springs are already mounted on the struts. Just bolt, unbolt and then take it in for an alignment, right?

creech_r

it's mine now. Curious...how would I know if I need the spacers? and where exactly do they go... do they go in the holes the strut connects to the hub assembly?

gt4rcdude

creech_r":armqgzkh said:
is that you just telling me that so I'll be less interested? or is that a serious "no they won't work on your alltrac."

Nah, just kidding. I want a Camry alltrac.

creech_r

mine is ok, the tc rims help it look less icky. The drop springs should help it out as well. The whole 1" lift or whatever it got with those rims makes it a little tall.

A

Anonymous

does the all trac tranny bolt up to the 3sgte? or would it be better to just run fwd?

creech_r

From the research I've done, everything bolts in, including the awd tranny. The one thing I'm curious about is driveline wear and stressing. I know people have converted the camry alltrac's driveline to the various versions of the celica driveline, but will the st185/205/etc tranny mate nicely with the rest of the camry driveline? I don't know that one...

It's mostly the wiring that gets a little tricky. I've heard great things about Dr. Tweak though and will be going through him if I decide to do that swap (I'm also going to go through him for my 20v swap into my Celica ST at the beginning of next year).

phattyduck

The driveline swaps over no problem. The rear diff is the same P/N as the non-LSD rear diff on the Celica Alltrac/GT4. The manual trans is the same as the early ST165 (elec. locking center diff). One section of the driveshaft to the back of the car is about 2" longer... that's about it.

Wiring, as always, is the issue.

-Charlie