9/13/08 - Pulling my Motor, help wanted

AWDios

Hey everyone, after having it sit for about a year (again) I've finally gotten to a point where I have garage space to at least get the motor out to see whats wrong with it.

This is not something I've ever done before, and I'm not super mechanically inclined, so I'm looking for anyone around that has a bit more experience that would like to help.

I'm getting some help from people that have more knowledge of motor swaps, but not much all-trac experience, so another all-trac or at least 5th gen owner would be great.

I'll be providing food and drinks. Also anyone that is inexperienced is welcome if you'd like to come learn.

Thanks!

Sifu

Just a heads up. Preperation will save you hours of headaches...
http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21971

;)

I've pulled mine plenty of times. It get's easier every time I do it. Just have the BGB and all the necessary tools. Bribe, steal, kidnap whoever can help you.

Anyone that has dropped an engine can probably help you with the drop. It's finding people to help with the install that's the problem because once they've realized what they've gotten themselves into they want out.

I've just learned how to do it myself. Takes longer but it seems like no amount of booze will entice my buds to ever help me with the Alltrac.

Good luck! Hopefully someone near you will give you a hand...

EasternBandit

It's a bit of a drive for me or I'd come help. 311 miles one way from where I am to bellevue. And 192 miles one way from my brother in laws place.... sorry

Terracar

If I am available I would be willing to help - I have not pulled the motor out of my trac (yet - might do it this weekend if I get bored) but I have pulled several motors out of Gen 5s (think total about 7 or 8 in total - usually solo got it down to being able to swap from one to the other quite quickly)

Shoot me a PM closer to the date as I am very forgetful, but always like to check out other Alltracs.

Can bring engine hoist/leveller/chains if needed.

-Terracar

Terracar

Well, good news... I have started pulling the motor in the 'trac and after 2 hours it is almost done. So I just might have it up and running by Toyotafest :D

Bad News...
Have the g/f's Nieces/nephews up the weekend of 9/13 (even after I told her I wasn't going to be home :x ) women!

I still might be able to make it, will update later - if you still are planning on pulling it that weekend

-Terracar

chkpnt

AWDios - I might be down that direction on the 9/11 for a track day at Pacific Raceways. If I do that I will stay down there at my mom's house in Edmonds on Thursday night and likely be going to a road rally on Friday night with my wife that starts at the Eastgate P&R in Bellevue. I'm not 100% sure if this is going to happen since a lot will depend on $ but I could stop by and help you if I have time.

I've pulled and re-installed my engine/tranny twice in the last year and I get to do it again this week (long story). They aren't too hard to drop but there are some frustrating things to consider. First, there are a lot of steps and you must be patient... And second, the clearances you have to work in are a pain in the a$$. I've pulled/installed a lot of motors and I would say this one is probably the most difficult. Putting the tranny back on once you take it off is an experience. That said, just take your time, stay organized, and have a good set of metric sockets/wrenches. A good breaker bar helps a lot with removal too...

Anyway, PM me and I'll let you know what the plan is once I figure it out.

AWDios

Awesome thanks guys! The plan is still on for the 13th as far as I've figured. I still need to track down an engine hoist.

I haven't done one of those friday nighters in awhile, I'm glad they're still going on, hopefully I can do one again soon.

Terracar

Can bring engine hoist/leveller/chains if needed. I will be able to make it up Saturday :)

Nieces/Nephews + Duct Tape = Happy Joe :)

-Terracar/Joe

AWDios

Oh awesome thanks. The other one I had a line on I would have had to pick up in Burien. I might grab it still just in case.

Terracar

AWDios,

Murphy has stepped in again - I will not be able to make it on the 13th. Just got a call lastnight that my g/f's best friends are now having her surprise birthday party on the 13th instead of the 6. September sucks for birthdays - My Mom, Dad, Grandfather, Aunt, Girlfriend, and best friend all have birthdays all in the span of Sep 1-7 Ugh :shoots:

-terracar