Project CMS

CMS-GT4

Well it seems that I am done with the engine. I moved my MAP sensor, installed new plugs and new wires and installed the IC.

Turns out my old "pregapped" plugs were gaped to ~040. Should have been ~032.

Here is a pic of the old plug. Lots of carbon, and the tip is white. Use a cheap set of plugs when setting you car up, then once its done get new or better plugs.

plugyq7.jpg

Here is the engine bay. I think I ma pretty much done. I do not plan on taking this apart any time soon. If all goes well, I will have the driver side axle done tomorrow then the car is ready for paint.

newenginebaygd0.jpg

The car is more responsive now, and even though it still seems slightly over geared, its not near as gutless as it was in the mid range.

CMS-GT4

I met with the paint guy today. He will be making my lip as well as painting the car. If all goes well he will be starting in a week.

88st165

with all the minor problems you have had was it worth it to do the 3rd gen swap? i mean, do you think you could have been enjoying you car just as much if you still had the 2nd gen installed and maybe just thrown on a ct20b?

CMS-GT4

WarTowels":3eqa8g67 said:
^Sweet.

$$$ ?

-Towels

All restoration will be right under 2k.

88st165":3eqa8g67 said:
with all the minor problems you have had was it worth it to do the 3rd gen swap? i mean, do you think you could have been enjoying you car just as much if you still had the 2nd gen installed and maybe just thrown on a ct20b?

Well it depends. If there was someone who posted all the info from their 205 swap like I did, I might not had to learn so much to make it work. Since I did all the research, and posted the info, it may be easier for others to do the swap.

If I was back where I had started, it would had been much easier to do a 2nd gen. I might have been happier if I bought a built short block and built and engine. But I would have had to do just as much research and likely would had have another whole set of issue to deal with. So its hard to say.

A more experienced AT owner might not have run into near as many issues as I did.

syko says

If you had to do it over again, would you have considered an st205 front clip and drop the extra couple thousand just so you dont have to go through all the trouble?

given that you will replace alot of the seals/gaskets to 'freshen' up the motor?

CMS-GT4

Yes, buy a clip. If for nothing more than to be 100% sure where things are supposed to go.
Sometimes you can get a good deal on just an engine, but I would have saved money and time in the long run if I had a clip.

E_Knight

So when are you driving up here so we can get mine running good?

Haha, just kiddin, I would like to see it after your new paint

Kcman91gts

Hey , now that is strange .. my engine has the plugs looking exactly the same way .. with a very white tip and some browning around the insulator .. could that mean a potential problem or is their depiction of grey to tanish brown in the manual a bit off ?

BriinumsBo

Congrats and best wishes to you. Change the axle if its popping when driving straight. I have mine popping when doing a hard turn driving slowly. I bought a used axle that was clicking and popping whenever i touch the gas pedal, so i changed back and know the limits :D
When you look at ebay/importers, seems like every good project comes to a salesday. But I don`t think money troubles should push for it. In last two years I`ve spent 80% of my salary on my car and its still not close to good state. I`ve thought about selling like fourty five zillion times, especially when something breaks down. But it`s not worth it. I will sell it someday either if I move to live in another location or if I just lose passion and have greater interests and the car becomes just a furniture in garage. For now its my treasure and yours will it be as it gets the axle and paintjob! What you`re really missing for a long time is an alltrac that is drivable without worrying about axles and similar problems. Then you`ll have peace of mind and won`t ever think about selling your treasure :)
And as everyone said, you can put it in "standby" period and get to it when you have more free time. I don`t think your car`s value will decrease as years go by, so someday it will be more worht it to sell if you decide to.

CMS-GT4

Thanks. I am keeping the faith for now. :D

Here are some pics of my next project once other things get done.

stirotor1fe3.jpg

stirotor2tj6.jpg

These things are at least the size of my z's brembos. If one was to get some custom hats and rotors, this might be a bolt on affair.

This is sort of what I am going for.
275876562fulldu1.jpg

275876591fullqh8.jpg

CMS-GT4

I am taking the brakes and putting them in a box on the shelf. I can not have them distract me from the main project. My main focus needs to be restore and making sure the engine is 100%.

I am still wondering about a vac leak, so I am likely going to replace all the vac lines.

I need to find a cheaper source than toyota for window and door trim. I am amazed at how expensive this stuff is.

When things are in black and white the paint does not look near as bad.

alltracpoor0.png

BriinumsBo

omg your car looks fantastic in black and white! also in this angle probably! and the rims, just perfect!!! :)

let us know if you find something about the door trims. if there has formed a big hole between the rubber part and car in the very upper corner of window, you can cure it temporarily just by pulling with hands over the trim upways. it just slides and over time it has gone a few cm down so you just pull it up/back

CMS-GT4

I changed my axle today. What a friggin pain. I think my new axle is from a 165 cause the threads are smaller. It fits fine, but getting the spindle back on the a-arm took hours and some trickery.

I can't take it for a test drive till I can get the tranny fill plug off. It a little rounded so I am going to go buy a 15/16 wrench tonight instead of using a socket.

I also sprayed the last little bit of the engine bay. I hope to meet up with the paint guy tomorrow.

Pics for the person who requested to see how i mounted my heat exchanger.

getattachmentjt9.jpeg

getattachment1hv1.jpeg

CMS-GT4

Both of the rebuilt axles I bought did not have the inner stubs, but they both had different sized threads on the hub ends.

CMS-GT4

I took the car for a drive today. No more pops from the front axles. The car is much better now. Now to get in touch with the paint guy.

ulis_m86

thanks for the heat exchanger pics
your heat exchanger looks quite different from the one i have i guess im going to have to learn to weld aluminum to put some brackets on it