ECU question

Boosted3s

Just a quick question here. Is there a performance benefit in swapping my stock 2nd gen ecu for a JDM 2nd gen ecu? I have one available for free if it is any better. Thanks

sardgt4

I hear it has a more agressive timing on it. My friend claims his was faster with the JDM ecu but he blew his motor so dont know what to tell you. The only thing I can tell you to make sure of is 90-91 share the same ecu pinouts and 92-93 are the same too. You cant interchange between the two without rewiring. Its not just one or two wires either, theyre much different.

Good luck,

John So 92 st185

If you run the JDM ECU just make sure you are running much higher octane than you get from a US pump. Like stated above, the timing is more advanced on the JDM ECU and if you don't have your car running the right fuel you're going to get some nasty detonation.

etantshi

I've tested both and to be honest there was not much "butt dyno" performance difference between either of them. You can do it for the mod list though if you want.

alltracman78

92 All-Trac":3qp7bb83 said:
If you run the JDM ECU just make sure you are running much higher octane than you get from a US pump. Like stated above, the timing is more advanced on the JDM ECU and if you don't have your car running the right fuel you're going to get some nasty detonation.

I dunno on that. Japan uses a different system to rate it's octane. Their 98 is like 94 over here. You shouldn't have any problems running 93 on a JDM ecu.
Hell, people have run a JDM ecu on 91 in Ca, with only a loss of power.

alltracman78":3fvpvv09 said:
92 All-Trac":3fvpvv09 said:

I dunno on that. Japan uses a different system to rate it's octane. Their 98 is like 94 over here. You shouldn't have any problems running 93 on a JDM ecu.
Hell, people have run a JDM ecu on 91 in Ca, with only a loss of power.

That's probably true, but until I see some kind of factual evidense I would play the safe side. It's not worth the risk of seriously damaging your engine from possible detonation.

Mafix

i have and have been running a JDM ECU. i can't use anythign but high octane 93 or better but it works great. but dyno says better.