Transmision tuning.....

Bob

Might be a stupid question but how do u tune the transmision such as gear ratios on the alltrac? Is that done with a stand alone or do u need something else?

Bob

i was thinking about ems but i didnt see how that would do anything and i was thinking bout taking apart the transmision but that seems like a lot of work and studying....

Nitro_Alltrac

Taner":iawxaky6 said:
i was thinking about ems but i didnt see how that would do anything and i was thinking bout taking apart the transmision but that seems like a lot of work and studying....

It is a lot of work and complicated. If you've never had a tranny apart, don't start with the one in your car unless it's not working now. If you want to learn about them, get the manual and find you an old used one. It will save you a lot of headaches.

Meurz

Taner":12n4u9pe said:
how do u tune the transmision such as gear ratios on the alltrac? Is that done with a stand alone or do u need something else?
You serious? :|

lumbercis

No need to flame guys. Obviously a newb question, but everyone has to start somewhere.

@taner: On a manual transmisson car, the gearbox functioning is completely mechanical, so the EMS doesn't come in to play. If you want to change your gear ratios you would have to break open your gearbox and physically replace the gears with something else. An easier option is to just replace the whole gearbox with a box with closer ratios (if that's what you want) such as the RC box.

The only time your cars ecu would come into play with your gearing is if you were running an automatic.

Read up on transmissions on howstuffworks.com and it will be clearer.

J.

Meurz

lumbercis":2y101f87 said:
No need to flame guys. Obviously a newb question, but everyone has to start somewhere.
No offence, but although flaming is a hot topic on here at the moment, this (assume you mean my post) is nothing like flaming.

It's just that if you wonder about ANYthing, a Google or a search on here would get you the answer in most cases. If you are looking for info, you search before you ask, right? Same goes for 'I want 500 hp, what do I need' and 'Will these Supra wheels fit', etc..

Ah well, next time I won't open my mouth. :)

lumbercis

I wasn't referring to your post Rene. I agree with you on the search and it's usually what I do if I have a question (thus my relatively light post count). :D I just remember when I didn't know how to change the oil on my car. Sometimes even a really basic question is a valid question.

Probably would have been better posted in the Newb section though. :smokes:

J.

so taner, whens your buddy gonna get a membership here? he needs ta get aquainted with the clan here so you dont have to get shit when ya post for him hay? :wink: jus f*kin wit ya guy

UtahSleeper

HOLY NECRO BUMP BATMAN!!!! lol

Thing is, still a valid-ish question. I have always wanted to try an replace my 5th gear with something a little better for freeway. Have never dug too deep cause I learned that it is WAY out of my resource and financial capabilities, even if it can be done.