'90 Celica GT-Four Jap-spec (Looking to buy it)

Rainey

Hello, I'm new to this place and am looking to purchase this GT-Four if it checks out okay. If I buy it, it will be my first car after driving a Ford Laser Wagon for the past 2 years. Just putting the pictures here for everyone to see but I will be back soon to ask a whole heap of silly questions!

These early photos are after it just landed from Japan (imported), I don't have any history on the vehicle before it landed in Australia so if someone is familiar with it or has seen it around (the wheels should be distinguishable), could they let me know!?

celicagtfour003.jpg

celicagtfour005.jpg

celicagtfour007.jpg

celicagtfour008.jpg

celicagtfour009.jpg

celicagtfour010.jpg

celicagtfour011.jpg

celicagtfour012.jpg

The wiper blades are rusty and need to be re-finished, it drives pretty well but I have nothing to compare it to so I will need to get it mechanically checked.

Regards,
Nick

beej

all im gonna say is man, u cant go wrong with an NRMA, RAA chek or RCVA whatever, depending on where abouts ur from. appart from that, if its 200k over, it should have a new timing belt, look for things like colored exhaust (oooh pretty) and general wear and tear, u wont detect much gearbox trouble until u drive it a little hard, so let it warm up (10 - 15 mins) then take it to 6-7 grand and try and quik shift......synchros and getting them done are expensive, good point o bargain whoever down, chek for leaks (3S-GTE's love to leak) especially oil. chek for any oil on the firewall or engin bay that has come from a leak too

appart from that i cant think of much, be aware ur buying a 10+ year old car, it will need things replaced, but its werth it ;)

oh and if its the rite price, buy it,

akahai

The rust on the windshiel wiper lead me to suggest that if possible, lift the car up for a through inspection of the underbody.

Rainey

Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses. I will give you a bit more detail this time around.

Car has done just over 106,000 km. It was imported from japan open-air, not inside a container, so if the rust is within the vehicle itself then should I bother with it or not? The car is not registered and is being sold privately by the importer whom I am dealing with long-distance. The cd player and middle portion of the console has been removed (as seen in pictures). Nardi steering wheel and rough condition shift knob. Not fitted with an immobiliser but the steering wheel does need to be locked into position once the ignition is on.

$11,900 AUD

roughly $8,000 USD

Any good, or should I stay clear?

beej

personally, for that money, there is no way it is werth it

u coubl buy an australian delivered GT4 for that.....no compliance involved, u could go see it, get it inspected, and i can guarantee it wont have rust, maybe a few more kays, but u'll be far better off than with that......regular compliance here in australia will cost u 2500 to 3700$

so considering once u get it complied, its gonna cost 14400 to 15600, i do not think its even nearly werth it, coz u cant see it, and they're may infact be more rust....open air on sea??? icky

chek our carpoint.com.au

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/marketpl ... hkRows=500

i even did it for u ;)

wyldie

Sup man where abouts in Oz you from.. I imported my gt4 from japan this year, and in total it cost me 8850 car, shipping, FOB everything. then I got it repainted and yad yad yad.. it's up to you really, As Beej said you can get cars for that price here, or you could buy imported JDM version, which has slightly different things like climate control and a tiny bit more power as it's JDM version. You would also be getting a Narrow body gt4 like myself, if you do some research into it, Gt4 are mainly wide body, flared over the guards and so forth.

So it all really depends on what you want.. I imported mine cause it had all the fruit, like ABS, and SUNROOF, and climate control, and low Km's and so forth, so really mate its up to you, but if you want it and can get it checked out then do so.

WhenI got mine I had to change everyting really, radiator needed new end tanks, new carpet, new Dash board (as you will need) new paint job, new timing belt, waterpump, batt, tyres, exhaust...

So you really have to way it all up.. you can check out my car.. start to finish pics at

http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyldec/index2.htm

Rainey

Once again thanks for the replies!

I have now decided against the GT4 pictured, thanks for your advice and I fully understand, I like the comment "open air on sea??? icky" and I totally agree. Thanks Beej for the links to carpoint.com.au, I didn't know of that site and there is heaps of options there!

I am extremely interested in that black '92 GT-Four but I thought the '92 model had exposed fog lights outside of the grille... It looks more like a '90 or '91 to my slightly untrained eye. After looking on www.cardomain.com I could be wrong!

Wyldie: I am down in Tasmania at the moment but VIC isn't too much of a problem as my sister has a house at Albert Park so I can fly over and bring the car back with me on the Spirit of Tas. I love your car and... wait! I love everyone's cars, they are ALL GT-Fours, Alltrac's etc... I'm only interested in a black or a white one, pref black with low mileage. Wyldie, just out of curiosity, who does your insurance? Thanks to a friend at work who owns a 911 on limited km per/yr thru Shannons he could recommend me to them without any driving or insurance history (driving fathers car, time to step up!).

Hey, no Tasmanian jokes alright!?

Cheers!

Kyoto

I can second that. They're great to deal with and you can amass as many bolt on mods as you like and your excess won't go up as long as you let them know.