how to check coolant level

kuret

Hi,
I got my first GT4 recently, and I want to check the coolant level, but the bottle seems to be under the battery so took the battery away but I still couldn't see the level of coolant.

How do I check this?

Thank you

Rick89GTS

Welcome to the site. Post up a few details about your GT-4 / All-Trac, ie: what year, mods, country, photos.

You shouldn't have to remove your battery to check the coolant level. If it's an ST165 or 185, just look at the plastic coolant reservoir on the passenger side of the engine bay or pop off the radiator cap when the engine is cold.

Um, are you sure it's the coolant you're trying to check? The only thing under my battery is the IC pump...

kuret

Rick89GTS":3kodevzl said:
Welcome to the site. Post up a few details about your GT-4 / All-Trac, ie: what year, mods, country, photos.

You shouldn't have to remove your battery to check the coolant level. If it's an ST165 or 185, just look at the plastic coolant reservoir on the passenger side of the engine bay or pop off the radiator cap when the engine is cold.

Um, are you sure it's the coolant you're trying to check? The only thing under my battery is the IC pump...

Hi Rick89GTS,
Thanks for your quick answer.
I have a 1992 Toyota Celica GT4 so that makes it a ST185. I bought it from japan but the car is in Canada...up here..very cold :shock:
no mods yet and pictures will be coming soon

So i found the bottle but I cant see the level..if it is low or high

Rick89GTS

There is a full line and a low line on the reservoir.
You east coast or west coast? I'm west, but we have a lot of east coast 185 members.

kuret

Rick89GTS":1o8i2vfc said:
There is a full line and a low line on the reservoir.
You east coast or west coast? I'm west, but we have a lot of east coast 185 members.

West coast. Calgary. Where are you?
The problem is that I dont see the full or low line the only thing visible is the neck of the bottle and the lid (which is connected to a hose that goes to the rad)

It is a long neck and the bottle seems to be under the battery and underneath something else, that is why I can't see what the level is

Thanks

Rick89GTS

OK, I see, you must have a JDM RHD, right? So everything is opposite to my 165. I'm not sure about the coolant reservoir in a JDM GT-4. That's why I was confused. I'm Vancouver.

Rick89GTS

Do a search under Memberlist at the top.
You shouldn't need any help to find the coolant reservoir. Look around the engine bay or just pop off the rad cap when it's cool.

If it's JDM, the coolant reservoir should be on the opposite side, ie, the driver's side.

Corey

Received PM

The plastic coolant reservoir is still on the LHD side.

Only stuff that gets changed between the two:

Fluid resevoirs on firewall, throttle cable (longer), AC lines, and Engine harness is shorter i think.

Corey

The level i would be concerned about is the one in the Rad.

Just take the cap off and make sure its topped up.

The plastic bottle is just an over flow tank. As long as its not over flowing, its fine, but it should have about 2-3" of coolant in it to keep the hose submerged.

kuret

I already checked the rad and it's all good
the reason why i want to check is because I have some white smoke coming out of my tail pipe and I just want to make sure it is not drinking all my coolant

RedCelicaTRD

I assume it pretty cold in Canada right now? Some white vapor is normal during cold temps since there is still moisture in the exhaust gas after combustion. It evaporates when it hits the cold air and is white in color.

kuret

That is correct but my celica was throwing a bit more white smoke than the other cars around me....maybe I am just paranoid :p
if i had a gasket leak what other things should I see or feel in the car?

kuret

that is very good to know...I was getting worried... or just starting to get worried ..thanks..then I think i should be good