Another one

gt4play

Well, yet another deal that couldn't be turned down. For those of you who were at the last big MR2/Alltrac meet, you might remember a clean black 92 alltrac that had been in one of the most unfortunate of accidents (t-boned while it sat in the owner's driveway). The owners (very, very proud owners) were sad to see the ol girl go, but they've been assured I will be doing everything I can to get 'er back in to tip top shape.

For those who don't recall, we basically have your first-class idiot who lost control of his behemoth SUV, crossed over the neighbors yard and broad-sided the alltrac. What makes this even more ridiculous is the neighborhood road is straight as an arrow. I don't get it.

Here's some pics of the incident:

Some later-taken closeups:

The outer portion of the door support/pillar bit it on this one. So there is some frame damage here, but minimal. The fender is already off and the car's already seen a visit to the local frame doctor for an estimate. Scheduled to go in at the first of Feb.

Thanks to Boosted (aka Parts 'o Pless), I already have a donor door and fender. I think I'll be needing a sub enclosure and perhaps whole inner door panel - not positive on that one yet. I've been instructed to leave the door so the shop can use it's currently attached hinges as a grappling point for a rough pull.

At any rate, the plan is to get the better-half more into these cars. If I can pretty this one up, we'll have his n hers. :)

That is, of course, the original owners don't want to buy it back.

gt4play

LegacyofDan":1fueo8jw said:
wow. like yesterday and today now have like ruined this week for me...three alltrac injuries...its heart breaking :(

Keep a chin up! This one is NOT being parted out. I'll keep progress pics coming. She'll be good as new when I'm finished.

gt4play

Mafix":2no95g2k said:
you bought that chris?! it's not fair i tell you. now how much did you get her for?

Man, I just couldn't help it. The wifey gives me the :roll: and is confident I am :twisted: . But good deals are good deals - and this one was not to be refused. ;)

Gimme a call sometime - thinking of having some guys up to the house for a local get-together sometime soon.

Willie,
It was the perfect setup. Chris can get this car fixed for a reasonable price
and still be able to sell it (if he decides too) for a decent price. It was a
win win situation. I am donating a door and fender to the cause. I am hoping that ray will get it back or that Lynn is converted to the alltrac side.
She knows its a cool car :D

Mafix

it would be nice to see ray with it again. somehow i don't see lynn on the bandwagon. i'd love to talk my wife into this but i know that's a lost cause.

gt4play

Yes, Ray and Laura may very well want to get it back - especially since they wanted guaranteed visitation rights and periodic updates on the progress. :) If I do decide to sell it, they'll be getting first right of refusal.

Lynn is starting to gain an appreciation for the Alltrac (she knows it as the GT4 from Thailand). But I'm afraid I won't be able to pull her away from the Mini Cooper.

Kind of eager though to have my first crack at doing my own painting. :D

YOU need to convince her that she looks MUCH better in the alltrac than
the mini cooper. Just remind her of the repair cost and PITA that the
cooper has been so far :D

of course, if ray wants it then she looks horrible in the alltrac :wink:

gt4play

Mafix":16rpgnk5 said:
i don't know why lynn is stuck on that cooper either. mabye it fits her frame?

Have you driven one? I'll be damned if it's not one of the most fun cars I've ever had. Handling is incredible; can't complain about the pickup and gas mileage rocks.

Pricey on the fixes though - PS pump went out on it a month or so back. Cost $1000 in parts (replaced the hoses too - leaky) and hours of swearing to replace it. But, then again, I remember swearing at the alltrac when I first started to work on one of those too. :D

gt4play

A closer look at the repair work that's needed. Not so bad really, but still a little pricey nonetheless. The trick is going to be in seeing just how much they can pull that back out by just attaching to the door hinges. If they can't succeed enough with that, then the outer portion of this pillar needs to be cut out and replaced.

Anybody have a plasma cutter who wants to visit the junkyard?? :)

gt4play

Mafix":1qilhdui said:
you can use a frame puller. they may have to weld tabs on to pull it but it'll be fine.

The shop just down the street has some new fancy measurement system that works with their puller. Hopefully it won't be much of an ordeal.

Had to have the frame on my trac pulled and they used a fancy measurement system and everything came out to the same specs as stock when all was done... from what I can tell it looks like they did a gr8 job, and it rides a lot better fixed too. so if its the same sort of system they used on mine i am sure it will have good results. Good luck with her

gt4play

Well, it's going in tomorrow morning. Spent the weekend cleaning up the door and fender donated by Pless. Also pulled the windshield using a seal removal tool...THAT was a pain in my ass. I made an absolute mess once all was said and done...spent 2 hrs vacuuming. :)

QUESTION, will the electronics in this 1990 door plug into the body harness of a 1992? I'm hoping so because the shop is going to have to roll this window up to test their alignment.

Mafix

i don't see why the door or interior harness would be different as long as the options are the same.

gt4play

Mafix":au82i45z said:
i don't see why the door or interior harness would be different as long as the options are the same.

I was thinking the same - even if the options were different (i.e. no system 10) it's possible the wiring provisions are there, hence similar connectors (or maybe similar connectors minus the wiring). Regardless, it seems more cost effective for toyota to keep the connectors the same...wouldn't you think?

Anyway, I guess I'll find out soon enough. Really hoping they can do this without too many issues.