duel celica fuel pumps?

aus jd 2703

ook, if all goes to plan, im gonna need more fuel then stock pump is capable off (300whp) so i had a plan to do it on the cheap kinda,
keeping a stock celica pump then buying a second celica fuel pump so ill have st185 pump and a st184 pump running in parallel to a surge tank (swirl pot) which will the feed a bosch o44 fuel pump.
how i planned to attach the second pump in tank was to take the cradle out and weld another mounting plate on the other side for the st184 fuel pump. then run them into a tee each would have their own one way valve incase one failed etc then this into surge tank etc etc.
what ya guys think? ill end up with 3 pumps? any thing im over looking?
cheers guys

aus jd 2703

tissimo":19u9bvqd said:
Mafix":19u9bvqd said:
just get a single 255lph intank pump. it'll be more than fine for a 300whp car.
or mount the 044 in the tank.. I've heard of it being done before.
yeah ive seen a guy do it to but i wanna run a surge tank so it has to be external, i did consider the walbro but ive got one celica pump i can get another dirt cheap all id need to pay for is the one way check valves, and this should flow more then ever needed.

presure2

dude, a brand new walbro is 100$.
why would you risk doing something stupid with your fuel system when there is a cheap, proven, reliable alternative?

tw2

Parallel pumps is not going to be the best option at all. Get a walbro or put the 044 in the tank.

tw2

^ exactly. How are you going to monitor that both pumps are working correctly? And surely unless both pumps are identical you are going to have a failure of one of them due to the flow/pressure differences, I wouldn't trust a check valve with your engine. Supposedly twin in tank pumps commonly fail due to vibration of one of them affecting the other.

gt4tified

aus jd 2703":3vbtq1x1 said:
ook, if all goes to plan, im gonna need more fuel then stock pump is capable off (300whp) so i had a plan to do it on the cheap kinda,
keeping a stock celica pump then buying a second celica fuel pump so ill have st185 pump and a st184 pump running in parallel to a surge tank (swirl pot) which will the feed a bosch o44 fuel pump.
how i planned to attach the second pump in tank was to take the cradle out and weld another mounting plate on the other side for the st184 fuel pump. then run them into a tee each would have their own one way valve incase one failed etc then this into surge tank etc etc.
what ya guys think? ill end up with 3 pumps? any thing im over looking?
cheers guys

This sounds both expensive and redundant. As the guys have said, one 255lph in-tank OR an External in-line (gravity feed maybe) like the aeromotive pump.

Simba

Old thread, but...

If you're running a surge pot that's built properly, the stock pump should be more than enough to keep it filled with next to no load on it.

Absolutely nothing wrong with running a surge pot, and it's more or less mandatory for any kind of track driving on sticky tires.