new 1990

maroon_185

I recently purchased a 1990 185. I was wondering what you all would recommend I do to it before I start driving it often other than the obvious maitenece.
Thanxs in advance
Chris

Austen_gt4

change all oils. (tranny/rear diff) how many miles are on it? was the t belt changed.. and if it leaks fix it. lol those deff lead to probs down the road.. and just the ovious stuff like u said.

Gary

Use synthetic oil.
Use stock Toyota or TRD filter. Do not use crap filter.
Also inspect plug/wire/cap if they need to be replaced.
Don't forget air filter.
The K&N panel one (33-2030) is good enough if you want to keep the stock air box.

Felix

My g/f also got a 90 st185...here is what has/is/will be done/doing, whatever you know what i mean. lol

spark plugs = ngk copper (i did not like the bosche plats)
oil=mobil 1 super synthetic
oil filter=stp
air filter=stp replacement, for right now, K&N next spring
new cap
new rotor
check wires
tranny fluid
clutch fluid
check brake fluid
rear diff fluid
replace radiator fluid/coolant
check tire pressure (two times, 1 week resulted same tire pressure, so no leaks)
added STP fuel injector cleaner
cleaned throttle body and intercooler with carb cleaner
doing a compression test
doing a vaccume leakdown test
checked throttle cable...was very loose...now is tight
check/cleaned battery connections

new fuel pump/gaskets/hoses (mine leaked and was rotten)

maroon_185

Thanks the car has 156k miles alot but I got it for $1600 it needs a turbo and trans rebuld which is no real big deal to me. I planned on doing plugs,wires,oil change(mobil 1), cap,rotor, check brakes,rotors and all fluids. The car was Owned by Tim Plessing before the owner I bought it from.
I wrote Tim and asked him about the car. He said he had done this work to it before he sold it - upgraded turbo, 3" exhaust all the way back, TWM short shifter, rear diff cushion,
both rear wheel bearings, new clutch (at 134K along with timing belt, water pump, hoses
seals, etc ...), new radiator, and quite a few HPC coated parts (valve cover, turbo,
turbo heat shield, intercooler cover ...)

Interior, I put new carpet in it (factory), had replacement mats, had rebuilt system 10 stereo
wore out leather seat on drivers side

The shipping company said it coudl be picked up between the 8th-16th so hopefully soon.

Thanks for the advice and tell me what you think pics

beej

ok i've read it a couple times now........dare i ask a n00b question, even though we area ll n00bs now

what is the hose from hell?

A

Anonymous

there are lines that run under the oil filter that keeps it cool. And theres a little house about 5cm big that's refered to by all as the hose from hell. it breaks very easily because of it's location.

Jnr_Jack :D

A

Anonymous

there are lines that run under the oil filter that keeps it cool. And theres a little hose about 5cm big that's refered to by all as the hose from hell. it breaks very easily because of it's location.

Jnr_Jack :D

$1600 :shock:

$#&(%(#@$%(#@$)

If I new Danny was selling it for that I would have
bought it back, what did he do to my first alltrac :?

When I sold that car, it had 18K on a new clutch, water pump,
all the seals, timing belt, rebuilt distributor, all the hoses on
back end of motor

Has a new radiator, upgraded CT26 with HPC coating on turbine side,
Aussie DP and midpipe (HPC coated), HKS Hiper catback. I replaced
both back wheel bearings/carriers. New Differential cushion. Hoses
from Hell and oil cooler gaskets replaced when turbo went in.

TWM short throw shifter, new carpet, rebuilt head unit, Optima battery
in the trunk, etc ....

SIGH

maroon_185

He wanted $2500 but I got him down on that. Its nice that is has so much done to it by Tim though. and Tim it will be well taken care of. I worked a month of 6 12 hour days a week to get this car so don't worry about it.

Gary

Well Tim, Jeremy (alltracman78 ) bought my car back from the guy I sold it to. Your maroon car was lucky, my black car wasn't. :cry:

If he sold it for 1600 then something happened to it. I sold it to him
in October for 6700. Looks like he put 2-4K on it while he had it.

Send some pics when you get it. The car had never been in an
accident when I sold it to him (had all its VIN stickers).

maroon_185

You can see picture of it at my website. the picture I have there are two of what Danny sent me and the rest are what a guy named gary sent me that checked the car out for me (hes my aunts boss) hes a great car nut