pikes peak

ummmiono

if you havent seen "climb dance" on youtube then you should look it up. its not a celica but the celica did hold the awd record there for quite a while

wakkjobb

I seriously just drooled on myself... but that section of the road around the 1:10 to 1:30 mark is paved now. Something about the drivers wanting more asphalt than dirt a few years back, or the tourists complaining.
Pike's Peak is in my back yard :D ... but it's like $12 a head to go up the highway.

One day my 165 will be at the 14,110 top!
Dan

ummmiono

I'd love to go up there someday. It takes nerves of steel and a lack of fear to go up there at those kinds of speed though. I was kinda sad when rod millens record was finally broken by "monster" tajima. Was it 13 years that the celica held the record?

gt4tified

ummmiono":10qveop3 said:
I'd love to go up there someday. It takes nerves of steel and a lack of fear to go up there at those kinds of speed though. I was kinda sad when rod millens record was finally broken by "monster" tajima. Was it 13 years that the celica held the record?

I think it was 11 years and I think it was broken by Colin McRae.

Is that Climb Dance vid the one with Ari Vatanen in the Pug 306? If so that was frickkin awesome!

ummmiono

I wasn't sure about the years but I know for a fact that it was monster tajima in a suzuki that beat the record. He had been attempting it for about 16 years I believe, he was attempting it when rod millen set his record.

Dracov

1994: Rod Millen, Toyota Celica AWD, 10:04.06
2007: Nobuhiro Tajima, Suzuki XL7 Hill Climb Special, 10:01.408

wakkjobb

Thread from the almost-dead...
I'm going to the Climb this Sunday; taking a 'back road' off of 67 (south from Divide) and setting up my observation post near Glen Cove. I'll bring back good pictures!!

>>Dan