Custom front and rear big brake kit

gt4rcdude

I don't know if he'd be interested, but I can ask. The trick is you'd need to know exactly how to machine the OEM rotors to make sure the disc is centered in the caliper, which is dictated by the caliper bracket. We actually made the hats first, then made the brackets for centering/spacing. It was cubic buttloads of work.

But I can say after months of driving the car, it was all worth it. The car stops with amazing force. It's easy to modulate and it never fades.

Brake lines were the easiest part. Standard Aeroquip. The solid line to flex line adapter was the tricky part. Found 'em at a local Aeroquip dealer.

turbo4wd

gt4rcdude":19gaveqq said:
I don't know if he'd be interested, but I can ask. The trick is you'd need to know exactly how to machine the OEM rotors to make sure the disc is centered in the caliper, which is dictated by the caliper bracket. We actually made the hats first, then made the brackets for centering/spacing. It was cubic buttloads of work.

It appeared that you used the disc as the template to measure against the OEM rotor to figure out where to drill the mounting holes, as well as how much of the OEM rotor had to be cut down.

Since the new disc was already set in the spacing of the mounting holes and the thickness / overall diameter of the disc itself, the only variables that could affect spacing relative to the caliper would be the thickness of the OEM rotor that was cut down. If we knew the specific thickness he cut the OEM rotor down to, then I would venture to guess that a copy of your bracket would work.

Unless I'm missing something? :shrug:

The thought I initially had was that now that he has put in the blood, sweat, & tears - he should have the measurements of what he did, and could then replicate it (and make some money for his time/effort) to offer to everyone else. I know machine shops are busy, so maybe he doesn't have time to do something larger than the one-off he did for you. Offer cut rotors, even a core exchange / charge for people who send in their rotors.. I dunno.. I'm just throwing ideas out there - I'd hate to see the "cubic buttloads" of work be done without a larger payoff for him that could also benefit a few of the people on here..

CMS-GT4

I am looking at a set of 120-8466-R/L (1.25 disc width). I was going to get a set of 205 calipers and see if I can get darkstart to copy his bracket, but I am tired of trying to find a good price for used calipers.

If I sell my emanage, I will likely buy my wilwoods then start looking into other components to finish my brakes.

Maybe if enough of us are interested we can go in together on getting a bracket made for wilwoods and sti front discs. This may be a cheaper solution than fully custom.

gt4rcdude

I asked him. He's very busy right now as his only two employees left. He's a one man show running a machine repair business serving three states. If he get's some help he'll look into the possibility.

gt4rcdude

Well, I have a big car show coming up so I'll be taking off my wheels(for cleaning). I'm going to take measurements on the brackets and post 'em up. I'm only going to do one side so your machinist will have to mirror it.

What you'd need:

Front and rear Wilwood rotors.
Front and rear Wilwood calipers.
NEW Brembo or OEM front and rear rotors (they will be sacrificed).
1/8-27 NPT to -4 adapters (4)
-4 braided lines (2" longer than OEM, get 'em from aeroquip pre-made)
-4 to whatever mm adapter to the stock hard line at fender. (I'll do some legwork on where I got these.)

I'm going to do a new thread as kind of a "DIY" big brake setup. I have to reverse-engineer this for you. I know Josh (CMS-GT4) is doing the same thing. You can decide which is best for you. I won't be able to tell you how to do this on a machine. That wasn't my department.

So far this is what I've come up with/advantages to what I have:

OEM brake balance.
Easily attainable rebuild/replacement parts
Hats that are permanent. Only rotors will ever need replacing.
OEM parking brake
Amazing stopping power/zero fade.
Factory performance from the ABS system.

Roundy

Wilwood didn't sell a rotor hat that was suitable for this setup??

This is exactly the sort of brake upgrade i would be looking to do (even down to the front calipers!) and it is great to see the results of it.

turbo4wd

gt4rcdude":ozq3vk87 said:
Well, I have a big car show coming up so I'll be taking off my wheels(for cleaning). I'm going to take measurements on the brackets and post 'em up. I'm only going to do one side so your machinist will have to mirror it.

You wouldn't by any chance remember the thickness that your friend ground the stock rotors down to when he was turning it into the hat do you? That would obviously directly affect the mounting of the disc, caliper, and bracket thickness..

I went back to So Cal this past week and brought back my old stock rotors that were sitting in the garage..

gt4rcdude

Update.

Looks like I'm going to be replacing my bearings/balljoints/bushings. Since this involves brake removal, I'll be posting up some specs.

Cuttyman9

Wow that's some good machine work, hopefully you don't have to change inner hats ever!
Looks really good though.

17" RPF1's also look good!