My "Nothing Crazy" Project (Picture Dump Page 14)

TheNubkins

I guess it could be used for that. Up here it's used to load trucks with oilsand/tarsand. In the second pic you can see the "door" being brought into the shop. Just down the bay the clam is sitting there. We tore off all the old wear material, fixed all the cracks, and installed replacement wear plates.

TheNubkins

lol. I don't have enough pull for them to hire on apprentices as of yet. Believe me...I've been trying. For 2.5years my brother worked at the Edmonton shop with me and they sorta screwed him over and didn't sign him up as a welding apprentice, yet he did all the shit welders do anyways. Hopefully he can get hired on up north and work with me as he's currently unemployed(and has been for the last 6 months I think).

Anyways, back to talk about cars. I spoke with Cam at Lightspeed Innovations in Red Deer. He still sticks to the story of the car being tuned well. I don't doubt him, but I think he may have tuned it a WEE bit on the safe side. He didn't mention what AFR it was tuned at, but mentioned he could gain another 20-30awhp as he tuned it on the rich side. He didn't want to tune it any different as he wanted it to be a safe tune. Cam also mentioned the timing/fuel maps can be obtained from the ViPEC, so I need to get a connection cable and software(for some reason I wasn't given these things) so I can check this out with my laptop.

There is a good thing to this issue...the car hasn't been getting any miles put on her. HAHA. I went from putting perhaps 60miles a month on it to around 5miles a month. Maybe one day she'll start gaining value? LOL.

Oh, the air filter showed up so I can finish off the intake. It's a little larger than I had expected but I'll make it fit.

TheNubkins

I think he misunderstood what I was asking about. According to him he thought I was only interested in getting my AFR/Timing info and wanted to tell me it's easily accessed and stored on the ViPEC. How is your car doing? Get it on a dyno yet?

ChrisD

Had a chance to test the TVIS yet? Here's a dyno of a car with TVIS closed to redline:

tvistorque.jpg

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=345548&highlight=tvis

Comparing your dyno:

aaahpaaci.jpg

Might be worth some investigating?

MWP

Ignition is as important as AFR's.
You need to look at the maps for both... get that laptop hooked up :)

Lots of tuners dont tune ignition properly and pull too much timing.
It can have a big effect on power.

If you think you intake might have been an issue, easy test would have been doing a dyno run with it off completely.
Ie, nothing attached to the intake of the turbo.

Having the AFM still there when its not doing anything is quite odd.
Did they tell you it could be removed earlier when you had the vipec installed?
If not, i would be looking for a new guy to do my tuning...

TheNubkins

Hrm...I will have to look into my TVIS then. Cam at Lightspeed reconfirmed that he set the TVIS up properly as I had mentioned I thought perhaps it was the reason for the poor dyno numbers. Maybe he thought he set it correctly but didn't? Worth investigating. Thanks for that dyno plot. The torque curve looks very similar to what mine is doing.

EDIT: MWP was posting when I was so I missed your comment. Hopefully I can get my laptop hooked up next week I'm back home...I fly back to work tomorrow morning so it'll be a while.

ChrisD

Yeah worth a shot - it might be set properly but the wires may be swapped backwards, causing it to be open when it should be closed, and closing when it should be open.

Too bad you're not a bit closer. I bet with a day of troubleshooting we could figure it out.

TheNubkins

ChrisD":29k3shzo said:
Yeah worth a shot - it might be set properly but the wires may be swapped backwards, causing it to be open when it should be closed, and closing when it should be open.

Too bad you're not a bit closer. I bet with a day of troubleshooting we could figure it out.

Haha, you shouldn't mention that, I might just take you up on it. I have family/friends in Calgary so I could justify the trip easily. Plus my one buddy has a 400whp mustang that's still in the works and I'm yet to see it.

pg

TheNubkins":1uf7xfhg said:
I think he misunderstood what I was asking about. According to him he thought I was only interested in getting my AFR/Timing info and wanted to tell me it's easily accessed and stored on the ViPEC. How is your car doing? Get it on a dyno yet?

My car is getting new paint, will have it back on thursday. Still have to tune it some more after that.

I'll be in calgary for a week in august so maybe ill take it to a dyno there!

TheNubkins

While I wait for parts to arrive to finalize the intake I put the stock intake back on. Weirdly enough the car is boosting and driving fine again. The only issue that persists is the rough idle on a cold startup. The temporary intake with the AFM removed. Using only a vice and a clamp I crimped the round tube to a rectangle to better fit the opening on the airbox, welded it to the flange I made and walah...temporary AFM replacement. I retained the rubber gasket that was between the AFM and airbox and used it between the new flange and airbox to maintain a good seal.

TheNubkins

Bad news to update. Car was hit while parked on the side of the road. At least the person who hit the car left their info on my windshield. I'm very glad it's only the fender and not the newly installed hood/bumper.

DudeMan

Me, you and yowza have all been hit in the last few months now. Damn city.

Like you said at least it was just the fender.

How did the meet go?

Sorry I didn't make it. I was sick, hung over and busy as hell all Sunday. I cleaned my car up and was trying to get there but it just wasn't happening. Ill be there next year with the trac.

Landon

wow man, that sucks but holy crap couldn't have been hit any better really. avoided most everything! coulda bent your rims, smashed your hood, etc. sorry about that though! i know how it goes. good luck with the fix. just a thought too but you might check these out.
http://celicatech.net/forums/showthread ... ge=1&pp=25
might be just same price as oem or just lighter and more amazing. just a thought!

TheNubkins

After a few months of neglect it's time to update!

First off the body damage that was done to the car is repaired. The body shop did an excellent job painting and installing the new body panel and corner light.

The car hasn't seen any miles since I had it retuned back in early December. We found an extra 40 peak hp at the wheels and an extra 23ft.lbs. Lightspeed did the tune with the factory air box removed so the car was sucking in air using the stock rubber ducting that leads from the air box assembly/AFM to the turbo.

We also found an that the ST185RC intercooler doesn't flow as well as many of us had hoped. We were seeing a pressure drop of ~4psi. The inlet to the intercooler core was seeing around 23psi whereas the outlet/manifold pressure was at 19psi. I have been trying to decide the fate of the intercooler. Do I want to get rid of the whole system and go to a front mount air to air setup, or maintain the water to air system I currently have installed and upgrade to a better flowing top mount core. I'm 99% sure I'll be sticking with the ST185RC core for a few reasons.

1-This is supposed to be a "Nothing Crazy" project. lol.
2-I'm sure come spring time I will be happy with the 262awhp the car is putting down
3-The house I'm having built should be done this summer so I'll have another expense in the form of buying massive amounts of new furniture, lawn care stuff, a fence, window coverings etc.
4-I want to start finishing the car off and call it done so I can enjoy it. I need to learn to put the brakes on my ambitions and be happy with the car.

I have a few parts there have been collecting dust for a while. Speed Source hooked me up with their poly engine mount kit, subframe bushings, and shifter base bushings. I also ordered up some valve cover bolts to replace the stock Toyota ones. I have a valve cover gasket to install in the spring so I'll swap out the bolts at that time.

I tend to get carried away with this car so I made a complete plan to finish the car off. I'll be sticking to it.

-Replace Armrest lid(has a crack/tear on the lid)
-Replace Cup holder(originally I thought it was the retaining clip...but the shaft that slides into this is broken)
-Fix Vent(x2) on passenger side(one keeps sliding out, the other is loose)
-Replace ABS cover(mine is missing)
-Install Speed Source Shifter Base Bushings
-Install Valve cover bolts
-Install new Valve cover gasket
-Tidy up the engine bay(wiring, paint some parts black)
-Clock turbo for better alignment to intercooler inlet
-Fix Antenna(doesn't come all the way up)
-Install Speed Source Crossmember bushings
-Install Speed Source Engine Mounts
-Invert resister packs to make room for straight intake
-New Battery PC680
-Install Darth Ripley/Just Joe battery/fuse mounting bracket
-Complete straight air intake(thermal barrier coating on exterior) with a mount for the boost controller solenoid
-Redo front leather seats
-Fix any rust
-Replace speakers/amp
-Fix AC
-Replace damaged ABS sensor

I've spoken with Darth Ripley/Just Joe and they have been great and agreed to make me a copy of their fusebox/battery mount bracket for me. They should have it ready for me around the time I'm all set to complete the air intake this spring. I'm sure many people out there will agree it's a very clean design.

7-26-batt3.jpg

Autobot

Nice looking battery mount bracket. I did the rear trunk battery location or else I would consider that piece.

mike325ci

seems to have come along nicely... yes, restraint is hard to practice, hehe, but you seem to keeping it under control fairly well. :)

btw, those engine mounts-- if you can, have someone else (i.e. a shop) press out the old bushings. i must have spent countless hours trying to get them out, time better spent doing something else and frustrations better spent elsewhere. trust me on this one-- you will not regret it. it's not as easy as "oh the old bushing/sleeve is slip right out!" as it says on the speedsource instruction sheet.

and oh, what kind of bribing did you have to do to get ripley/joe to make that bracket for you? it's freakin' sweeeeet...