ASI Radiators: Pics P.16; Info P.17 & 18

86turboswap

That would work yes.
Please PM me on how I can get my hands on your stock rad.
I really only need the radiator to get the car to a running condition so that I can drive it if I have to. And so that I may be able to see what else may be wrong with it.

Mafix

for comparison this is the problem i had with my koyo 205 rad
aside from fitment issues (expected), the rad was cooling so well the thermostat stayed closed. everything i did made no difference whatsoever. then i looked at the routing of the system and sure enough there is no direct recirc of hot coolant to the thermostat. i eventually would up removing the thermostat all together and installed a couple restrictor plates. now no issues at all.

ChrisD

Did a bit of testing that seemed quite promising. Will do a second run tonight to verify as my laptop battery died halfway through.

Will confirm, but cruising at 100-110kph was consistent at 74-75*C. After fully heated up and going back out it went from 90 at startup after a 10 minute idle and 30 mins to heat soak, temps were dropping quickly once out at freeway speeds and my laptop died when I hit 82, temps were still dropping though. So I will head out tonight again.

Ran hottest at idle and very slowly crept up to 95 where it levelled off. Any speed would cause a pretty quick drop in that temp.

This is test #1 on old green coolant btw. Havent yet had a full flush.

timmey

ChrisD: You kickass. Thanks for the information, I know tonnes of people appreciated it.

I am yet to throw mine in, I ordered 2 x 12" fans instead of the 2 x 10". For some reason I initially thought only 10" would fit. I'm not saying both 12" will fit, but I'm going to try.

I later plan to gut my A/C, so if I can only fit 1 x 12" on the inside of the engine temporarily, I can probably get away with 2 x 12" fans on the opposite side once the A/C heat exchanger is gone, and reverse the fans :).

Timmey

ChrisD

Finished my re-run. Basically affirmed what I previously found. Basically I am seeing a slight drop in temps over my previous logs. 77*C used to be the minimum, with most temps in the 82-85 range. Although I see those temps at slower speeds, on the highway I am definitely running cooler than that.

Started and allowed to idle until I reached 74*C.

Hit the highway, 110kph, held steady at 74. Then hit a long hill which required some boost to maintain speed. Temp crept up to 77*C. Then kept cruising for another 10 minutes or so and the temp held steady at 77*.

Slowed down to turn around. Sat idle for a moment while waiting for a space in traffic to go, temps went to about 82*. Went back on the highway and it went slowly back to 80*C.

At idle it definitely will creep up to 95, even hit 97 when sitting in my rather hot garage.

Ambient temps for the runs were 23*C earlier, 21*C when I just went out.

Overall I'm satisfied that this will do the trick. I will still get the coolant reflush and also add a bottle of Redline water wetter and test once more. I will also wrap my downpipe as it does sit pretty close to the rad.

:)

86turboswap

Very nice Chris,
glad to see your still rolling the ST165.
BTW this is TurboTRDCelica aka Jeremy
for some reason I can't get any response from anybody about trying to retreive my username.

timmey

Crap!

I was taking my old rad off and both my top rad mount 12mm bolts broke off at the heads. :(

Has anyone else had the same misfortune? Try the old drill trick maybe?

Timmey

88st165

timmey":1tly7ion said:
Crap!

I was taking my old rad off and both my top rad mount 12mm bolts broke off at the heads. :(

Has anyone else had the same misfortune? Try the old drill trick maybe?

Timmey

Easy outs should do the trick.

-------------------------------

The other day it was pretty hot out, 90's, and I was using the a/c. Temps didnt rise farther than 188*F even in traffic. 188* is the absolute highest my coolant temps have been in all the situations I have been observing. Im still very satisfied with this rad so far. Ill report back when I go autox or 1/4mile.

timmey

Awesome,

Never tried them but my fab guy said the same thing.

My 2 x 12" fans from siliconintakes showed up today. I'll see if the st185 can fit 2 of these fans on the engine side this week, will post pics. I think it 'just' will fit. I may see if I can get some heat reflective tape to put on parts of them that are closer to the downpipe and turbo, although I'm sure it's not entirely necessary.

Cheers,

Timmey

timmey

Ok,

No way in hell 2 12" fans are fitting on the engine side.

I got my rad in and only one will fit, so I'll hold onto the other until my A/C is out.

Timmey

timmey

Got my 56mm st185 rad in!

I used stock hoses, a new OEM replacement thermostat, a 12" fan from siliconeintakes (great deal, was easy to install and blows a decent amount of air, less than OEM I feel though, but much thinner), those good hoseclamps with the smooth inside ring and the bolt instead of a screw, Prestone green, and my ASI non-logo 56mm rad.

I don't have an aftermarket water temp gauge, so I can only comment on what the OEM one displays. Before my car would run about 45% to "H", so just under middle, now at about 50km/h city driving I'd say it was about 39-43%, so just a tad lower. It seemed to take a little longer to get to that temperature as well, but my old coolant was old and this is new, and I hadn't driven the car in about a month..so my judgment might be a bit off.

The single 12" fan seems to keep the temp at about the 40% range when sitting for about the 5 or so minutes I tested that, so thats good..it does move less air though, that is noticeable. On the highway at about 80-100km/h with a little boosting I got about 35-40% to the "H", so a little colder when moving fast.

One thing I did notice is I feel there is more radiant heat in the engine bay vs the OEM rad. This shiny rad seems to feel much hotter, and the engine bay around it seems much hotter just putting my hand near it. Anyone else notice this?

Pics soon!

Timmey

timmey

Yeah,

I e-mailed David Wang direct and bargained him down quite a bit. Mine was 220 US shipped for a ST185 56mm, no logo and only the end tanks are polished, not the welds though. Who give a shit though? :)

Especially the logos, it's not like "LOOK GUYS!! I BOUGHT A CHEAP CHINESE RAD!!!"...It's just ASI, who needs the logo?

Timmey