Using camber plates as caster plates?

johndgt4

Hi,

I was reading about someones geometry changes on a WRX site (Judas!!) and there was discussion of camber changes using top mount camber plates perhaps not being the best option and that you are better off trying to get as much camber as poss with lower camber bolts and then flip the plates around to make them adjust for caster instead.

Now the WRX uses a similar MacPherson setup to the GT4 (185) and it appears to be the case that they also suffer from the lack of caster as per the GT4.

One thing that was mentioned is that by adding too much camber via the top mounts this plays havoc on the SAI's during turning and that a much greater handling improvement can be found by setting the caster to approx 6-7 degrees. I envisage this would actually give the car much better steering feel.

Discuss........

John

MrDB

The 4 definatly needs more caster to increase camber whilst wheels are turned.

Camber plates will give more caster if turned but also will alter camber. The plates will not move so they only adjust camber. the angle is 45deg not 90 if that makes sense. Plates rotate round 45 deg and not 90..

Not sure if that will give you enough caster also to make a difference..

johndgt4

....ahh of course it will only rotate by 60 degrees due to three bolts....doh!

I suppose this could have the effect of giving a little camber adjustment whilst increasing the caster I guess. I also presume there would be less need for camber adjustment if you are increasing the caster as this will give more dynamic camber then on turns.

Might give it a try as apparently it is like a night and day difference when done on the WRX. This was apprently done on a RB320 too which should really have been at the top of the handling league for rex's.

John

CMS-GT4

There is a member here who used his camber plates for caster adjustment. He used camber bolts to sort out the camber.

Search for "caster". Its the tread about making a caster solution for the 185.

bozo-merlin

I do too and can adjust camber with coilover oval hole in the bottom.

pretty impressive handling but very hard to turn now as don't get any PS on my steering rack :lol:

Roundy

That is me :)

radiator006.jpg

gave me an extra 56' of caster, and using camber bolts to get the camber however my coilovers have the slotted holes as well, i had the camber bolts before that.

I have to say the difference to the handling was profound. It changed it to an oversteery beast!

It allowed me to soften the rear swaybar off and still be able to provoke oversteer from it.

Obviously there is more than just the caster that has done that, but that was the final change i made.

Now i don't know what more to do with it :shrug: i have the balance so from there i think i need to learn how to drive it a lot better :)

bozo-merlin

with my camber plate turn 1/3 as Roundy

Front caster 2°
Front camber 2.1° (without caber bolt)

I have a very responsive car but think this setting will kill tyres shortly on the road.

johndgt4

I have had my camber plates rotated for a few days to give me more caster than camber gain and it has weighted up the steering nicely. It is a lot better on long highway/motorway runs too. Increasing caster should also increase camber during a turn to and all I can say is it has a great turn-in and and feels a lot more planted.

All I can say is I'm happy with the change! :D

John

esracing

i did this about 5 mounth ago and its great. one thing if you look at the top you will noteis that its sloted longer one way so i took off the right side and installed it on the left side and same with the left i was abill to get even more caster im running 3.0 caster and =1.8 camber

bozo-merlin

esracing":1hz03o5j said:
One thing if you look at the top you will noteis that its sloted longer one way so i took off the right side and installed it on the left side and same with the left i was abill to get even more caster im running 3.0 caster and =1.8 camber
Hum good tips, will take a look at this on mine. But think 1.8° camber is the maximum you could achieve.

TomsGT4

I'm worried that my camber bolts won't have enough adjustment if I use plates for caster. I'd like to set slightly negative camber.
My car was ditched at one point, so the frame is pushed back slightly and as a result riding a slightly negative caster.
Haven't noticed in the handling, but would really like to see what positive caster feels like.
Suggestions?

esracing

the bolt will give u enough camber the plates will do camber and caster at the same time. ok first make shure the plate are centerd then ajust the camber with the bolts then do the caster also u have to ceter the toe during this step

88st165

How are you guys measuring the castor when you do this? Surely you arent going to the alignment shop after every adjustment. That would cost too much! I do my toe adjustment with the string method and it works pretty good though I have nothing to measure the castor.

Roundy

88st165":eg8vz52g said:
How are you guys measuring the castor when you do this? Surely you arent going to the alignment shop after every adjustment. That would cost too much! I do my toe adjustment with the string method and it works pretty good though I have nothing to measure the castor.

I am good friends with the alignment shop in my town, so it was adjusted at the shop, and he spent the time to get both sides spot on together.

I would've just cranked both of them all the way back and be done with it, as if that doesn't give equal caster i didn't have equal caster before hand.

johndgt4

Hi guys,

I made myself a little wooden board with a plumb-bob and degrees markings to measure camber and if using the plumbob as the vertical datum I can rotate the board to show the caster angle when aligned with the strut housing.

It's rough but should be pretty close to the mark.

John