ASI Radiators: Pics P.16; Info P.17 & 18

___Scott___

I was thinking the stencil/spray version like this:
5c41_1.JPG

88st165

Looks awsome Timmy^

-------------

More observations:

Today I did some drag racing at a test and tune. The ride there which was about 90min my coolant temps were right at 188*. At the track doing back to back runs and leaving the car on while waiting to be staged (which was like 5min) my coolant temps didnt rise above 188*. I truely believe that this rad is a solid performer, and like I said before, I dont have to worry about popping a plastic endtank like the stock one. Being shiny and nice looking is just a plus lol.

xCH121Sx

got a question. i have 2nd gen in a st165

does the st185 rad fit in the st165?

st165 have the nipple for turbo coolant line.

i dont need that nipple since i have 2nd gen.

can i fit the 185 radiator?

thanks

Rick89GTS

Chris D has similar set-up with a 185 motor, I'd just follow his lead.
The 185 rad is not a drop in fit for the 165.
The top and bottom mounts do not line up, so you will have to mod the brackets. You can just plug the 165 nipple if you don't need it.

ChrisD

No you can't fit the 185 rad.

Just cap off the 165 rad with a little hose and bolt, with a clamp to keep it sealed.

aubeone

^^^ Not true. I have fitted a 185 56mm ASI Rad in my 165. It took some work, but it'll go once you've made some room.

BriinumsBo

sorry, i guess i missed it. is the ASI rad a direct bolt-on or not? can I use stock FAN?

the top of my rad just blew up in pieces..

Rick89GTS

This was for the 165 b/c no aftermarket radiator existed until we got this custom built. For your 185, just check out ASI on ebay. They are a lot cheaper now, especially for the 185 radiator. And yes, they are a direct fit with stock fans.

timmey

So after a few months of running my 56mm, I haven't noticed much difference in this rad vs the OEM 1991 (copper?) rad. Maybe a hair of an improvement.

I notice a few people seem to be in the same boat. Any update?

What does a stock rad go for, to compare value?

Timmey

**BETSY**

Hi Timmey, if you have a look back through the post i had a ASI rad for my st165 and noticed it was a fair bit worse than stock!
needless to say i run a stock 32mm Genuine Toyota rad with no issues at all!

I have an aftermarket gauge measuring the temps as the stock gauge is useless!

timmey

This reminds me - I need an aftermarket water gauge. Mine loses ground and floats around sometimes, but when it does work, the water temp is the same as stock.

Some things to add:
-New OEM replacement, regular temp thermostat. Not Toyota, something else. This was installed about a month prior to the rad.
-New Prestone Green (yellow bottle).
-Old OEM hoses.
-Siliconintakes.com 12" slim fan. No shroud, less powerful than stock.

Previously:
-Old OEM thermostat.
-2-yr-old Toyota Red
-Old OEM rad, flushed 2 yrs ago.
-Old OEM shrouded fan.

Timmey

TRDcelica90

Timmey why not try a low temp thermostat like a TRD one??

thats one of my next cooling mods as im going to be doing track work, but i think that even for street it would be helpful lowering the temp 5-10degrees, specially on the 3sgte!

TRDcelica90

lol yeh i know, ive bypassed the throttle body. tomorrow im bypassing the water oil cooler. WW and TRD thermo.. that should keep it alive

timmey

Yeah,

I am going to swap in a TRD next time I change my coolant, as well as some better hose. I am very reluctant to pay the gouged price that Samco charges for their hoses though. Man o' man there needs to be more competition in that market...

Timmey