Easiest way to make a ST205

xander279

-Import?

-buy a ST204 (94-99 GT-S), Buy JDM 3rd gen 3SGTE Engine, Transmission, Front/Rear Differential, Driveshaft, ECU ... other parts from junkyard from ST185

-buy a ST204 and a ST185 and just do swaps... so everything that was in the ST204 is in the 90-93 celica All-trac, and everything that was in the 90-93 celica All-trac is now in the ST204.
so essentially in the in the end i will have a 90-93 celica GT, and a 94-99 GT4 (that doesn't have the specs of a ST205, morever the stats of a ST185 in a 97-99 body)

give me your input! because i think any of these three a viable options... which is the easiest, which is the funnest, which is the way i should do it?

LegacyofDan

amp279":3w2v943s said:

-good luck with that one, it has been discussed many of times on here, and it has mostly been concluded that is not happening anytime soon.

-buy a ST204 (94-99 GT-S), Buy JDM 3rd gen 3SGTE Engine, Transmission, Front/Rear Differential, Driveshaft, ECU ... other parts from junkyard from ST185

-finding a junkyard 185, good luck on that too, but lets say that you do have a junked 185...you still have ALOT of custom modification to the BODY of the st204 to convert the FWD chasis to an AWD chasis....its not as easy as it sounds. alot of cutting, welding and custom forming. there is a thread of a guy doing it on some 6th gen forum(i cant think of the name presently). and i think there is less than 10 converted ST204 out there...

-buy a ST204 and a ST185 and just do swaps... so everything that was in the ST204 is in the 90-93 celica All-trac, and everything that was in the 90-93 celica All-trac is now in the ST204.
so essentially in the in the end i will have a 90-93 celica GT, and a 94-99 GT4 (that doesn't have the specs of a ST205, morever the stats of a ST185 in a 97-99 body)

so basically still a ST204 convert to AWD...like i said good luck.

give me your input! because i think any of these three a viable options... which is the easiest, which is the funnest, which is the way i should do it?

easiest? none of them.
the conversion will be fun, but alot of work, and you have to have attention to detail and accuracy and the proper tools, or know the right people.

i will try and find that thread of a person doing the conversion and post the link for ya and give ya an idea on the degree of time effort and money that it will take.

CMS-GT4

If you are going to go thru the trouble, of cutting up a car I don't see the point of making it awd when there are some many RWD parts available. Especially when there are other more advanced awd systems out there. One UK owner, who recently scrapped the project, was in the process of installing an R34 drivetraine.

lumbercis

The thread of the guy that documented his conversion is on www.6gc.net. Do a search over there and it should come up easily.

You need good fabrication skills (cutting/welding) to pull this off. It's more involved than just swapping parts. But certainly not impossible.

xander279

thanks for opening my eyes for me... i guess i'll just stick with a ST185. What about buying a 1993 Toyota Celica GT-S Widebody Hatchback and trying to make it a GT4... is this a more viable option?

Whats the problem with importing a ST205 from UK, Japan?

xander279

how are skylines importable?

what is the difference between the ST185 and ST205... besides the body.
what gives the Hp difference of 200HP in the ST185 and 250HP in the ST205... is it because of the 3rd gen 3SGTE engine and thee ECU tuning?

I really don't want an all trac... i want the 50HP that is in the ST205

aus jd 2703

Honestly if that 50 hp means so much buy the 185 and put a boost control up and use just below fuel cut should get ya there. All honesty if u don't love a specific shape gt4 buying and modifying ones not a great idea. Evos are more plentiful and late model one handle and have more power not to mention much cheaper to modify. Having said that gt4's are sleep and sexc 2 doors and to me that's how a sports car should be

LegacyofDan

/\ well said, but lemme also add to the alltrac compliment, they truly by all definition are an enthusiast's sports car, and in this enthusiast's mindset, really are one of a kind, with a hell of a history.

but yeah if the 50 hp is the sole reason for all this, its not worth the effort then. sorry.

lumbercis

amp279":16n8v7df said:
how are skylines importable?

what is the difference between the ST185 and ST205... besides the body.
what gives the Hp difference of 200HP in the ST185 and 250HP in the ST205... is it because of the 3rd gen 3SGTE engine and thee ECU tuning?

I really don't want an all trac... i want the 50HP that is in the ST205

Not to be "that guy" but these questions are all easily answerable with a few minutes of basic research on your part.

In answer to your question, Skylines are not importable, they are brought over illegally. Do a google search for "seized skylines."

The horsepower difference between the ST185 and ST205 is indeed because one has a 2nd gen 3sgte and one a 3rd gen. Do a search for 2nd and 3rd gen differences for the specifics.

xander279

i do know a bit about celicas... i know that the GT-S liftback (ST184) and the GT All trac (ST185) have the same chassis so a drivetrain swap and install a rear differential and driveshaft... along with a ST205 Transmission and 3rd Gen 3SGTE Engine because i already know they DO fit.

thanks for all the help, and its a bummer that i cant get my hands on an authentic ST205 or build one... i bet a lot of you guys would rather have the 94-99 GT4. but i really do like the 90-93 body style too. I used to drive a 91 Celica ST, even though it was slower than any other car i have ever had, i still enjoyed it

d1alltrac

amp279":3m143c14 said:
i do know a bit about celicas... i know that the GT-S liftback (ST184) and the GT All trac (ST185) have the same chassis so a drivetrain swap and install a rear differential and driveshaft... along with a ST205 Transmission and 3rd Gen 3SGTE Engine because i already know they DO fit.

:roll:

aus jd 2703

This came up recently and your wrong. With the 18# series the whole rear suspension fuel tank rear interior pannels. Rear brakes not to mention most 185's are wide body and 184's are narrow.
Trust us either buy a 185 or 205 or nothing cause u cannot Frankenstein a awd set up.
Next best. Thing is a fwd 3sgte but that's not awd there for never considered an alltrac or gt4

xander279

yea ... you are right... sorry for being a bit arrogant. i thought i knew what i was talking about. i guess i'll just buy a ST185 body with HIGH miles and drop in a good ole 3rd gen JDM 3SGTE. I really want to do a project car, i just don't wanna buy it show condition, because then i would take the greatness of the GT4 for granted. i know this car is stupendous, i just want to feel like i deserve to drive it, thats why i've been so tedious in buying the right one. You guys are so lucky to be driving such a rare and limited car, and i hope you realize that. I would love to be part of this community once i get the GT4.