ACPT C/F Driveshaft Group buy is a go!!!

gearhead313

wow... $900 and it didnt even fit. thanks, but no thanks.

I never found out about an aluminum one, but i guarantee my guy can make me a normal steel one for under 200bux..

gt4tified

gearhead313":ijxdcnur said:
wow... $900 and it didnt even fit. thanks, but no thanks.

I never found out about an aluminum one, but i guarantee my guy can make me a normal steel one for under 200bux..

I'm assuming therefore, you have an ST205? :?

Corey

Indeed

I think the issue applied only to the ST205. Without reading all the pages myself, Id presume they figured the ST205 application was the same as the ST185. Turns out its not. :shrug:

gt4tified

Corey Darling":137mn8ca said:
Indeed

I think the issue applied only to the ST205. Without reading all the pages myself, Id presume they figured the ST205 application was the same as the ST185. Turns out its not. :shrug:

Ok so I'm not as stupid as I thought....someone else sees what I see.

darthripley

^ Ralph, you & Corey are correct.
some people just lack basic reading & comprehension skills.

cliffs notes:
- the CF D/S is approx 5mm too short for an ST205
- fits an ST185 with very little modification to the metal tranny cover
- at this point has not been fitted to an ST165 that we know of

abraxxa

I'll mail ACPT about a ST205 version as soon as I've got the correct length needed and infos about the thickness from Wolf.

timmey

I saw this on the ACPT site:

"Composite Driveshafts: Dramatically Improve Safety
and Performance... "

Safety?

Timmey

timmey

Meurz":1eaz2wgp said:
In case of (racing) accident, a steel shaft could rip through the shell, into your rectum.

Nice visual! :) Thanks.

darthripley":1eaz2wgp said:
^ Ralph, you & Corey are correct.
some people just lack basic reading & comprehension skills.

cliffs notes:
- the CF D/S is approx 5mm too short for an ST205
- fits an ST185 with very little modification to the metal tranny cover
- at this point has not been fitted to an ST165 that we know of

Darthripley mentioned modification for the st185. Is this driveshaft specifically for the st185? If so, has anyone relayed that info to ACPT? I figure they'd want to know if it doesn't drop right in.

I'm really interested, but feel that I shouldn't have to modify it if it's made for the st185 plus I only have a dremel to cut with, and I don't want to cut a $1000 part myself with the wrong tools, or mess up.

I assume the GB is over? I'll just contact them directly if so.

Timmey

YerRandO

timmey":3kldx4lk said:
Darthripley mentioned modification for the st185. Is this driveshaft specifically for the st185? If so, has anyone relayed that info to ACPT? I figure they'd want to know if it doesn't drop right in.

I'm really interested, but feel that I shouldn't have to modify it if it's made for the st185 plus I only have a dremel to cut with, and I don't want to cut a $1000 part myself with the wrong tools, or mess up.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19242&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=270

pg.19 shows the modification they made, very minor and not to the drive shaft it self.

mike325ci

I was considering getting this and putting in my car eventually...

Well, today I went under my car troubleshooting my driveshaft vibration issue ( http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=348841#348841 ) and I don't understand how this can fit a stock / stock-ish ST185, since it is much thicker in diamter than the stock driveshaft...

The stock driveshaft already is very close to the exhaust pipes and components (I measured about 2~3mm gap between the shaft and my resonator (HKS 2.5", but very close to stock configuration) and even less, ~2mm gap, between the shaft and the secondary cat on the stock midpipe.

I know a huge percentage of people here have aftermarket exhaust systems (and mostly 3" systems at that), so clearance to the exhaust system may or may not be an issue for you. But I thought I'd bring this up, since this is something to consider.

So for me, if I were to get the CF Driveshaft, I have to change out my entire exhaust system to make room for it.

[I'll post some photos later to illustrate my point.]

darthripley

YerRandO is right - you just have to cut a little of the transmission - it's the metal cover where the d/s hooks in.
at least you have to cut this on an ST205 transmission, can't say for a ST185 or RC/CS tranny since we have a ST205 box that's all i can speak about.
we cut it with a dremel, took maybe 10 minutes tops.
everything else plops into place as it should.
just go back a few pages to find the pics - that's why i posted them here for others to see.
i didn't think it was a big deal having to make a tiny modification like that --- it's not as if we have some HUGE aftermarket parts bin to choose from like say a 240sx or AE86.
if not for Pat C. we wouldn't have this part at all, just saying.

timmey

darthripley":21tfm2zn said:
at least you have to cut this on an ST205 transmission, can't say for a ST185 or RC/CS tranny since we have a ST205 box that's all i can speak about.
we cut it with a dremel, took maybe 10 minutes tops.

Ahh, I see.

Thanks!

Timmey

gt4tified

I agree with Keri, that if not for the likes of Pat and even some mr2 owners,that mods for both the celica and the 3sgte would not have been possible. I also don't see why anyone should make a big deal of doing a little dremeling. If its weight reduction you're after, then toss the oem seats for fibreglass ones....that'll save you at least 75 lbs net.

I have learnt over the few years that lightening a drivetrain is much more important than getting rid of sprung weight (not that this isn't important also, just more inconvenient).

Just by moving to a lightened flywheel alone most if not all who perform this mod agree that they feel the difference. And I am sure for anyone who can give a review of the driveshaft mod would say the same too.

So again I ask, who's in for a next batch of the acpt driveshafts?

mike325ci

i'm in the "eventually i will get it" camp.

see, i've just finished work on my car and it will be a while before i touch my car again, cos of time contraints and also because i'm a little tired of working on cars. but if a purchase of these were to happen now, i can do it and add the driveshaft to my stockpile of "parts gathered to be installed later...eventually" :)