3SGE intake manifold on a 3SGTE??

MWP

Ermmm.... the IAT is in the AFM.

Only reason you need an IAT in the inlet manifold is if your using an aftermarket ECU.

MXP_57

Actually i was talking about the Manifold air temperature. (MAT?)

jdm st165 and st205 both have a manifold air temperature sensor and the iat in the afm for the st165 and in the airbox for st205 but the iat doesn't affect the tunning maps as much as the MAT.

I'm running the st205 ecu and i have a jdm st165 so i'll need to modify the cold start injector maybe to bolt the MAT sensor.

MWP

Ahh, i see.
Didnt know they had them... assumed they wouldnt since the 185 doesnt.
Learn something new every day ;)

TRDcelica90

GARY ST165: You put up that pic of the modifed inlet of the 3sge manifold for the idle or something like that. my question is do you have to modify it? and if so what will happen if you dont??

Also how did you cut into it?

I got mine delivered finally. There is barely any room back there to change them over lol. gonna be fun!!

Gary ST165

if you want to use factory idle control and ST185 throttle body then yes. it needs modification to replicate the OEM ST185 centre feed manifold idle control..

note the blob of aluminium weld on the back to stregthen and thicken that area, before attacking the groove with a power file , hacksaw, file as you see fit.

i haven't used that manifold yet. it is still on the engine stand.

TRDcelica90

Oh ok. so if i keep the idle control on my 3sge manifold and use the 3sge throttle body i wont need to modify anything at all?? besides my intake piping..

i hope thats the case :D

thanks again gary

TRDcelica90

so does anyone know if its a complete bolt on if i use the 3sge throttle body and have the stock 3sge idle adjustment screw?? dont wanna start and have my car in pieces as always lol

cheers

trd-at

With the gen 2 3sgte TB there is that port for the idle adjustment screw. So the choices are using the 2nd gen gte TB w/ The 3sge manifold and will have to bolck that passage off or use the 3sge TB w/ the 3sge manifold. The inlet inside diameter of the 3sge manifold is the same diameter of the 2nd gen 3sgte ,anifold, so i assume that the 3sge TB is the same inner diameter as the gte TB. So i dont think that there will b any issues with flow here. I am going to order the 3sge TB so i will let you know when i get it and how it fits on a 185. Not sure if that helps at all. Just some things that i was curious about

polarmoment

trd-at":18cvseja said:
With the gen 2 3sgte TB there is that port for the idle adjustment screw. So the choices are using the 2nd gen gte TB w/ The 3sge manifold and will have to bolck that passage off or use the 3sge TB w/ the 3sge manifold. The inlet inside diameter of the 3sge manifold is the same diameter of the 2nd gen 3sgte ,anifold, so i assume that the 3sge TB is the same inner diameter as the gte TB. So i dont think that there will b any issues with flow here. I am going to order the 3sge TB so i will let you know when i get it and how it fits on a 185. Not sure if that helps at all. Just some things that i was curious about

why would one have to block off the idle bypass screw? maybe the later genTBs are different, but the earlier ones have that passage milled into the mounting face of the TB, no need to add any ports or anthing. idle will function just as it did with the old manifold provided the IACV passage is cut into the entrance.

if using the same ECU, you'd want that passage there, since part of setting idle involves using that screw to set base idle with the valve unplugged.

trd-at

there are not any provisions on the 3sge mani for the fine idle adjustment that is equipped on the 3sgte throttlb body. so if you were just to bolt the 3sgte tb up there would b a very large vacuum leak through the fine idle adjustment. i will post some pics.

trd-at

Ok so here are my pics, there are a few but i hope that this will help. I Made a plate that fits between the gen2 gte TB and the 3sge manifold. The purpose for the plate is to still be able to use the fine idle adjustment screw on the top of the TB. Without the plate there would be a large vacuum leak here or it would need to be blocked off, which i guess some people have done in the past. There is a picture of the inside of the gen2 TB where i cut out a section for IAC airflow. Some have cut in to the manifold instead of the way that i did it. The only reason i did it this way was because there mas a minimal amount of material on the manifold to remove and on the TB there was material that was uneeded. I have not installed it yet so im not sure how it will all work. I also made plates for the cold start inj. and the EGR port under the inlet of the manifold to block these off.
Ryanscelicamanifold002.jpg

Ryanscelicamanifold003.jpg

Ryanscelicamanifold004.jpg

Ryanscelicamanifold006.jpg

Ryanscelicamanifold007.jpg

Ryanscelicamanifold008.jpg

Ryanscelicamanifold009.jpg

Ryanscelicamanifold001.jpg

WarTowels

Want to make me some plate(s)?

I'll be needing these also... so instead of grinding the manifold you made the plate?

=)

-Towels

trd-at

right i made a plate but i did have to grind a portion out of the throttle body for the IAC port. It is in the picture. Well if you want i can make you one, but the best way is to have the throttle body here so i can port match it and everything. Also i would need to remove material from the throttle body. What vehicle do u have, 165, 185?

WarTowels

93' Alltrac yo' it's in my siggy.

Same manifold as you.

So if you didn't have the plate, it would just leak? Hence that other guy had to weld up a bit there. So is the plate, your solution to welding?

My manifold is as the powder coaters right now... so welding it is not an ideal option for me at this time... I could prolly fab up a plate if I had too... but if you want some monies and it's easy for you I'd be happy to pay you for your time. I wouldn't mind the block off plates either!

-Towels